Quick question about LOI (couldn't find anything in search)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeshift123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was recently waitlisted at two schools that were on the top of my list (Northwestern and Vanderbilt). Northwestern won't make a decision until March, but Vandy, as I understand, does rolling acceptances from the waitlist.

I'm meeting with my research professor next Wednesday to have one of our last meetings before he finalizes our publication. He has already written a rough draft, and I will be the second-author. My question is, I am planning on writing a letter of interest/update to both these schools and I obviously would like to include this information. I just don't know when to send it and what to say about it. Do I wait until our paper is accepted to send them the LOI/Update, or will it be too late by then? I've never had a publication, so I have no idea how long peer-review, acceptance, print, etc takes.

I got my waitlists about 2 weeks so I don't wanna wait too too long before writing a letter. Once I meet with my professor and he writes a final draft, can i tell the schools, "our final version of publication has been sent to XXXX for review, etc etc. I will be the second-author"?

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait until the paper is accepted for publication before mentioning it. Peer reviewers may suggest changes or augmentations that need to be instituted and resubmitted. It can take awhile. Meanwhile, there's no reason you can't mention your ongoing involvement in the research lab.

If you're going to mention how you're still working in that lab I don't think there'd be a problem with saying you have submitted it for review and you're a second author. Maybe it's not as impressive as something that has already been published, but it's something you've been working on and there are many people who don't get a pub out of their research during undergrad. I wouldn't dedicate a paragraph to how you're going to get published but instead just incorporate it into and update about continued progress in the lab in general

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM once had an anecdote about submitting things that were "going to happen" being akin to stuffing one's bra with tissues. I think you can definitely submit an LOI here; however, don't just say "We submitted a paper." The fact that you were second author most likely indicates that you had a big involvement in the project and in writing the paper itself. So talk about that...whatever wasn't on your application regarding your reseach and the paper, and then mention at the end that it's been submitted for publication.

so then, since most of you are saying to mention it either way, you guys think i should submit the LOI as soon as possible instead of waiting since either way, an accepted publication won't happen till way later?