Quick Question about Master's programs and medical school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDCandy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied this cycle to DO school but so far not going so well (no surprise check my MDapplicant profile), so I have been also applying to post bacc, SMP, certain certificate programs and just recently regular science master's programs (probably biological science)

My question is does it matter to the adcom if I got a MS or MA in Biological Science... I ask bc a lot of schools offer both and MA doesn't require a GRE score (which I don't have right now nor do I really want to take).

Got any insight? Please share =)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT score is abysmal. Your science GPA is also pretty bad, but if you had a better MCAT (27+), then that would open the door to many postbac and SMP-type programs.

If you improve your MCAT to 27+ AND retake a couple of bad science grades, then you might actually become competitive for DO schools without needing a postbac. Remember that DO schools replace grades if you retake them.

Your MCAT score is abysmal. Your science GPA is also pretty bad, but if you had a better MCAT (27+), then that would open the door to many postbac and SMP-type programs.

If you improve your MCAT to 27+ AND retake a couple of bad science grades, then you might actually become competitive for DO schools without needing a postbac. Remember that DO schools replace grades if you retake them.

Yeah I know :( ... I'm prepping for the MCAT now (totally different method this time), this fall I'm retaking Ochem and Physics and I'm applying to both SMPs and post bacc for the Winter/Spring semester 2012 ... nonetheless I still want to know about the MS vs MA degree ... Anyone?

Thanks for your input btw :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know you bothered applying this cycle. What a waste of $$$

You need better MCAT + an SMP

I don't know you bothered applying this cycle. What a waste of $$$

You need better MCAT + an SMP

Why did I apply? Long story. Short answer: I was advised to .... I'm guessing no one is going to answer my question huh? Might as well change the title to : Come criticize my stats if you're bored bc I'm unaware they are low and not competitive ... oh wait I do know which is why I'm asking about a master's program.

Kind of a long title but it will suffice lol

You are applying to the wrong thing.

So, I am trying to help you by pointing that out - but hey, go do an MS/MA in whatever, and you'll still not get in to medical school...and then you'll be back here in 1.5-2years asking a similiar question

I am trying to save you time and $$, but if neither of those are important to you then - to answer your original question, it doesn't matter

You are applying to the wrong thing.

So, I am trying to help you by pointing that out - but hey, go do an MS/MA in whatever, and you'll still not get in to medical school...and then you'll be back here in 1.5-2years asking a similiar question

I am trying to save you time and $$, but if neither of those are important to you then - to answer your original question, it doesn't matter

I've applied to SMP and Post Bacc (it's in my OP) .. I'm just curious about the MA vs MS bc I may do that too (I'm not in a position to rule out anything ya know) ... Your advice has already been taken as I stated I'm retaking the MCAT and apply to SMP and post bacc ... you were being unnecessarily critical bc I know I have a lot to do as far as medical school app building

But thank you for your advice nonetheless.. its appreciated (I'm being sincere):)

I just want to point out that this is the third Detroit-area low-stats inquiry, lately, where good advice is offered and ignored, and where the convenience of Wayne State's programs wins out over common sense.

Get a strong MCAT score, over 30. If you don't, then what basis do you have to believe you'll do well on hours-long board exams that cover multiple years of hard science classes? Boards aren't optional. Use your MCAT score as a predictor of whether boards will suck for you. Don't go to med school if boards will suck for you.

Get a strong transcript covering multiple years of heavy, difficult science. If you don't, then what basis do you have to believe you'll make it through the preclinical years without having to remediate? Doing grad work skips over the brutal multiple-choice volume that you find in undergrad, that is relevant to medical school. Either do more undergrad, or do a program that puts you through the first year of med school, or do an URM postbac such as GEMS or Wake Forest.

Getting in to med school is a horrible thing if you're not prepared. Med school sucks plenty for the prepared.

And now is the part where you'll tell us you're just going to go get a masters because somebody told you that would get you into med school. Seeya in a couple years when that doesn't get you into med school.

Best of luck to you

I just want to point out that this is the third Detroit-area low-stats inquiry, lately, where good advice is offered and ignored, and where the convenience of Wayne State's programs wins out over common sense.

Get a strong MCAT score, over 30. If you don't, then what basis do you have to believe you'll do well on hours-long board exams that cover multiple years of hard science classes? Boards aren't optional. Use your MCAT score as a predictor of whether boards will suck for you. Don't go to med school if boards will suck for you.

Get a strong transcript covering multiple years of heavy, difficult science. If you don't, then what basis do you have to believe you'll make it through the preclinical years without having to remediate? Doing grad work skips over the brutal multiple-choice volume that you find in undergrad, that is relevant to medical school. Either do more undergrad, or do a program that puts you through the first year of med school, or do an URM postbac such as GEMS or Wake Forest.

Getting in to med school is a horrible thing if you're not prepared. Med school sucks plenty for the prepared.

And now is the part where you'll tell us you're just going to go get a masters because somebody told you that would get you into med school. Seeya in a couple years when that doesn't get you into med school.

Best of luck to you

I didn't ignore any advice, I'm in the process of doing said advice. I have apply to Wayne for post bacc and the BMS (they haven't reviewed apps for the winter/spring 2012 semester yet). I am paying for a prep course for the MCAT. I don't want to go to a master's program bc the matriculation isn't there. I just was curious, that's it. I don't understand why your going off about my question. If you read just above you, I clearly know I need to do better if I want to be admitted into medical school. I just had a random question about MS vs MA. That's it. You are right, as well as the other posters. I totally agree with you all which is why I HAVE applied to programs and paying for assistant to help my situation. I just had that one question. Why are you being so rude about it??? I haven't done anything to you, if you think my question is dumb then don't answer it. But thank for your advice and time nonetheless

Sorry to have confused anyone, but my question isn't "can i get into med school with my stats" ... As I know I can not. I know SMPs work and I am applying to them, I know certain post bacc work and I am applying to them. I know I need a stronger MCAT and I am preparing for it. currently ... Sorry I was curious about that Masters thing never this thread