Quick question about pharmacy tech job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DagS132

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently the fall semester has started for me and my availability is not great during the week. Everywhere I applied to for a position as pharmacy tech turned me down due to this reason. Also because I havn't worked as pharmacy tech anywhere and they require more time for training.

So the question is, should I keep trying to look for a job as pharmacy tech or should I just wait until the winter break and try again? I know this question sounds dumb but I am trying to get into pharmacy school in 2018 so I am not sure if this leaves me enough time to get enough retail experience in.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently the fall semester has started for me and my availability is not great during the week. Everywhere I applied to for a position as pharmacy tech turned me down due to this reason. Also because I havn't worked as pharmacy tech anywhere and they require more time for training.

So the question is, should I keep trying to look for a job as pharmacy tech or should I just wait until the winter break and try again? I know this question sounds dumb but I am trying to get into pharmacy school in 2018 so I am not sure if this leaves me enough time to get enough retail experience in.
Flu season is knocking on the door. If you're willing to work evenings and weekends then that is a huge bonus. Keep trying, the experience is so worth it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Find a place to just volunteer your time when you have it. My old hospital would use volunteers to stock and pull out dates, etc. At least it would be a foot in the door for when you have enough time to get on a schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in this exact situation: I got licensed and certified, kept applying to jobs and getting interviews, but was ultimately turned down because I can't work 30+ hours a week.

I started volunteering at a charitable pharmacy within a local free clinic and it has been fantastic. Look for something similar and you will learn a lot about the filling process and what your county/state does for low-income and uninsured people!

I was in the exact same situation. I started offering to volunteer and a pharmacist agreed to let me do that. I started volunteering the first week of August, and I worked my butt off when I was there. Yesterday, I was told that they have decided to hire me as a tech and let me only work two days a week. So, my advice would be to volunteer to get through the door, and then out work the paid techs.