Quick question about re-application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taranis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is pretty straight-forward, but I couldn't find it in a search: Do schools that you didn't apply to the previous year know you are re-applying? If so, does it impact your chances negatively, or does this only apply to schools that you previously applied to? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No they don't know unless you tell them yourself. Or if youre like me, accidentally bring it up in a interview ><

I feel like its just overall a large negative to be a re-applicant in general. it sucks but its just rolled up into the giant bag of suck that is the application process.

This question is pretty straight-forward, but I couldn't find it in a search: Do schools that you didn't apply to the previous year know you are re-applying? If so, does it impact your chances negatively, or does this only apply to schools that you previously applied to? Thanks.
Many secondary applications will ask you if you are a previous applicant to medical school in order to learn how you have adapted to a setback. AMCAS also has a question on the primary regarding re-application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many secondary applications will ask you if you are a previous applicant to medical school in order to learn how you have adapted to a setback. AMCAS also has a question on the primary regarding re-application.

I've never seen this, but then again I only applied to 20 schools.

I've never seen this, but then again I only applied to 20 schools.

as a triple-reapplicant. this is true. many schools will have specific questions about prior app cycles. This is also something that comes up in interviews often.

It's going to vary from school to school, but generally, the schools you didn't apply to the first time won't know that you're a reapplicant.

However, being a reapplicant was a huge focus of my application. I used it as a way to show how informed my decision to enter medicine really was. I ended up accepted to a school I didn't apply to the first time, as well as a school I was a reapplicant to. So, it isn't necessarily the death sentence that people think it is. It's all about how you present yourself and what was wrong the first time you applied. I'm personally not convinced that submitting earlier in the cycle is the only change you should make if you're applying a year later.