Quick Question Before I Hyperventilate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hooperg

Just some guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My files have been complete at PCOM and UMDNJ since the beginning of November; I received e-mail confirmations from both institutions. Just wondering about my chances for an interview.

-biochemistry/molecular biology combined major at a top tier liberal arts school in PA
-3.3 cumulative GPA
-3.0 science GPA: nothing lower than a C (my dad died my sophomore year and it wrecked my O-Chem)
-26 MCAT: 10V, 9PS, 7BS, "P" writing
-NJ Resident
-EMT-B for 4 years
-military experience
-worked with DOs in an ER environment
-drug research and discovery at a military research facility (WRAIR)
-MD recommendation + pre-health committee letter
-200+ hours volunteer work as tutor/I.T. instructor for the elderly
Normally, I wouldn't freak out this much, but if I don't get into medical school this cycle, I'll lose my Army-granted educational delay and get reassigned :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

can't comment on your chances but if getting into medical school is so important shoulnd't you apply more broadly? Are you restricted to one area?

I see you worked with DOs in an ER environment so if you have a solid DO letter that helps a lot.

UMDNJ usually takes 3 weeks to get back to you once you are complete but there are really ony 2 more weeks of work left this year. I had a mid-December interview that was cancelled so they may not be interviewing again until January. I'm not certain on this.

hooperg said:
Normally, I wouldn't freak out this much, but if I don't get into medical school this cycle, I'll lose my Army-granted educational delay and get reassigned :scared:

Your biggest concern should be the fact that you waited so long to get your apps completed. Why the delay, the AACOMAS app. has been available since June 1st, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canuck99 said:
Your biggest concern should be the fact that you waited so long to get your apps completed. Why the delay, the AACOMAS app. has been available since June 1st, I believe.

I had been deployed on training exercises since the beginning of June until the beginning of September. Took me a little while to scrounge up the money and the recommendations.

Unfortunately, I am restricted to a geographic area now, as I have to take care of my mom and younger brother in NJ.

I'm not the expert at UMDNJ, but it sounds like your stats are pretty good for most, if not all Osteopathic schools overall. Given your instate status, I'd say that your stats should be good enough to get your foot in the door for an interview. Getting to the interview is 80% of the battle, in my opinion. Once there, you really get to express your desire and passion for medicine. Getting there is the hard part. Best of luck!

hooperg said:
My files have been complete at PCOM and UMDNJ since the beginning of November; I received e-mail confirmations from both institutions. Just wondering about my chances for an interview.

-biochemistry/molecular biology combined major at a top tier liberal arts school in PA
-3.3 cumulative GPA
-3.0 science GPA: nothing lower than a C (my dad died my sophomore year and it wrecked my O-Chem)
-26 MCAT: 10V, 9PS, 7BS, "P" writing
-NJ Resident
-EMT-B for 4 years
-military experience
-worked with DOs in an ER environment
-drug research and discovery at a military research facility (WRAIR)
-MD recommendation + pre-health committee letter
-200+ hours volunteer work as tutor/I.T. instructor for the elderly

With those stats, it will be difficult to get in. You have greatly minimized your chances by applying to so few schools. You should have applied to 10 or more schools.

It is not too late to send in those apps.

UMDNJ-SOM shows very little instate-favoritism (50percent in and 50 percent out of state if i recall correctly), whereas PCOM shows a deal of instate favoritism. It seems living in New Jersey is not so pleasant (I am a NJ resident also). I would apply to more schools.

I am almost positive that my files are complete at PCOM and UMDNJ, but I have not received a complete notice...any idea why?

OSUdoc08 said:
With those stats, it will be difficult to get in. You have greatly minimized your chances by applying to so few schools. You should have applied to 10 or more schools.

It is not too late to send in those apps.

Roger... but I am greatly restricted in my movement due to family problems. I'm sending out my AACOMAS request for additional schools tomorrow: NYCOM, WVCOM, and UNECOM

If you honestly could not matriculate to those schools then do not bother applying to them.

hooperg said:
Roger... but I am greatly restricted in my movement due to family problems. I'm sending out my AACOMAS request for additional schools tomorrow: NYCOM, WVCOM, and UNECOM