quick question for past students: BU MAMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etikit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are NOT enrolled in the classes alongside medical students, is the course number and professor the same? Does everything look the same on your transcript regardless of which classes you are enrolled in?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah...anybody selling furniture live in Harrison Court? Looking for late august. Thanks.

etikit said:
If you are NOT enrolled in the classes alongside medical students, is the course number and professor the same? Does everything look the same on your transcript regardless of which classes you are enrolled in?

Thanks.

Yup, all looks the same. None will be the wiser, except maybe for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except for perhaps the two-semester Physio, I guess that will get looked a little strange upon, but you'd have to ask someone who took that.

jklasser17 said:
Except for perhaps the two-semester Physio, I guess that will get looked a little strange upon, but you'd have to ask someone who took that.

thanks for the help, you know what though, I am enrolled in that 2 semester Physio...

does anybody have experience with how this looks on the transcript? Thanks.

But hey, on the other hand, it could be good for you, it could like two A's instead of just one!!! :)

Medical insurance?

This goes out to students past, present, and future I guess. Is BU medical insurance a good way to go. 1280 per year? seems expensive. i just started hunting around for cheaper insurance. anybody have experience with this...or any complaints about BU's coverage. Anybody have a cheaper rate with another company that they would like to divulge info about. I guess after I turn 23 I'm on my own for insurance (no longer under the folks)...and just trying to figure out what I do before B-town.

Thanks again.

Also, back to the first question...anybody know how two semester Physio looks on the transcript.

etikit said:

Thanks.

I took the 2 semester sequence of physio this past year (separate from the medical students), and on my transcript, it appears as:

GMS PH730 (fall)
GMS PH731 (spring)

If you were a GMS student and took physio in the spring only (with the medical students), I believe it would appear as:

GMS PH740

However, if you were a med student and took physio in the spring only (with the GMS students in GMS PH740) I believe it would appear as:

MED MS 131

Additionally, the professor/course manager isn't actually listed on the transcript, so that is a non-issue.

So, I would say that regardless of whether you take physio (or any other classes) with the med students, your transcript is NOT going to have the same course numbers as them. I took Endo and Immuno with the med students and they still appeared as GMS courses (because I am a grad student not a med student) on my transcript.

However, I seriously cannot imagine that any medical school that is remotely familiar with BU's program would look down on our transcript just because our classes aren't the same course # as the med students'. I am applying to med schools now, so I haven't talked to any adcoms about it specifically, but I'll let you know in a few months if this comes up...

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need further clarification. :)

hcn22 said:
So, I would say that regardless of whether you take physio (or any other classes) with the med students, your transcript is NOT going to have the same course numbers as them. I took Endo and Immuno with the med students and they still appeared as GMS courses (because I am a grad student not a med student) on my transcript.

Good point, I failed to mention that. All our courses are prefixed with GMS...

And obviously, enough kids who took the 2-semester Physio have gotten into medical school, so I don't think it is a major issue.

thanks a lot for the info. much appreciated.