Philippines03j

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2009
Status
Dental Student
ACS Manual "States of Matter/Solution #29

If the pressure of the gas in a cylinder double and the temperature increased from 200K to 400K which cylinder with piston would represent the final system.

Well the piston starts off at 6(dont know th units). I know that if you double the pressure it will half the volume. So right now it is at 3. I then thought if you double the temperature the volume would double also since they are proportional and the piston would end back at 6.

The correct answer says the piston will end at 1.5 meaning that by doubling the temperature we also half the volume. Please help me to see what I am missing. :help:

Thanks!

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hmm, my ACS book came with a sheet that corrected some typos from the answer choices. Conveniently I can't find that right now. I chose the same answer and don't have marked that I got it wrong so I'd double check that sheet if you've got it.

suhshi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Dentist
the correct answer is C
i jus checked the sheet

OP
Philippines03j

Philippines03j

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Is there an online version of that answer sheet that you know of. I spent a little while looking for it and cant find it online. Mine did not come with one but then again I bought it a few months back.

Thanks for the answer! Thats what I thought it was.

I guess the only thing I was missing was the right answer sheet!