Quick Question!!!! Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblewrap777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared: :scared: :scared:
I need this answered very quickly so any help would be greatly appreciated…. I am going to graduate this may, I am taking the Kaplan review in june and planning to take the mcat in aug….

My question is iam I too late for this rotation, should I not even bother applying this late in the game?

GPA 3.7
Lots of ec’s
Work at hospital 5 years

THANKS !!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I need this answered very quickly so any help would be greatly appreciated…. I am going to graduate this may, I am taking the Kaplan review in june and planning to take the mcat in aug….

My question is iam I too late for this rotation, should I not even bother applying this late in the game?

GPA 3.7
Lots of ec’s
Work at hospital 5 years

Plenty of people apply with August MCATs. Obviously, the earlier the better, but you're not killing your chances, just weakening them. How much this will hurt you will probably depend on how good of an applicant you are. The better the applicant, the later he/she can afford to apply (within limits).

Why so urgent though?

so urgent b/c i have not started anything yet, no personal statement, no letters of rec. nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
With some hard work, you'll be able to get all of those done. I think that getting started is the hardest part.

so urgent b/c i have not started anything yet, no personal statement, no letters of rec. nothing

Man, you're really pushing it without any LORs... Remember that your letter writers need at least a month before they can be expected to turn out a great, impressive letter for you. Generally, procrastination isn't looked upon fondly, and JUNE is THE month you need to submit your AMCAS, otherwise you're late and you're hurting your chances.

If you don't apply this time around, think about how much more experience you might be able to get (volunteering, jobs, shadowing, finding great Letter of Rec writers) in the next year, and then be really prepared to apply and educated about the process. I've also heard that most adcoms very much prefer that students are out of college at least one year before matriculation. Maturity is an asset!

I don't think it's too late to do those things. (Personally, I waited too long to do them, way too long, much later than you). Just do them now. Right now, you should do what you need to be doing to apply...you can always decide a little further down the road to wait and apply next year.

When I submit in June can I do that without my MCAT score yet?

also haven't people already had interviews and been excepted or am i mistaken?

Man, you're really pushing it without any LORs... Remember that your letter writers need at least a month before they can be expected to turn out a great, impressive letter for you. Generally, procrastination isn't looked upon fondly, and JUNE is THE month you need to submit your AMCAS, otherwise you're late and you're hurting your chances.

If you don't apply this time around, think about how much more experience you might be able to get (volunteering, jobs, shadowing, finding great Letter of Rec writers) in the next year, and then be really prepared to apply and educated about the process. I've also heard that most adcoms very much prefer that students are out of college at least one year before matriculation. Maturity is an asset!

But LORs don't need to go out with the primary. The OP could ask tomorrow and get them in time easily before secondaries.

June 1st is the first day you can submit AMCAS, you tell them you're waiting for August MCAT scores, and your schools will just wait for the scores to come in. People do it all the time.

Those with interviews/acceptances are from the previous cycle. The soonest interviews for the upcoming cycle will be Aug/Sept/Oct.

Which cycle are you talking about?

Check the AMCAS website, they will be able to answer that question. I think you can submit the AMCAS for transcript verification without MCAT scores, but don't take my word for it.

But LORs don't need to go out with the primary. The OP could ask tomorrow and get them in time easily before secondaries.

True, true... I guess I'm just a stickler about being early since I'm a reapplicant, and I've heard of many classmates and other applicants waiting for completion for just one more prof to submit his letter, etc. Something like that can screw you over for the whole cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to thank everyone that responded so fast :)

I will get on the ball and start everything right away and get started on getting my LOR

does anyone know for sure that the earliest interviews are in Aug for this cycle?

Ok another question about a response given...

for the LOR doesnt the prof. give you the letter and then you use a service like interfolio (something like that) to send them to the schools you want?

or does the prof. not give them to you?

Ok another question about a response given...

for the LOR doesnt the prof. give you the letter and then you use a service like interfolio (something like that) to send them to the schools you want?

or does the prof. not give them to you?

Nope, you waive your right to read the letter. You'll never see it. They'll submit it to interfolio or to your schools letter service/ pre-health office or whatever you've got.

Can the prof. give the letter to you to submit to interfolio or does it not work like that

Nope, you waive your right to read the letter. You'll never see it. They'll submit it to interfolio or to your schools letter service/ pre-health office or whatever you've got.

What she said.

Applying late is one of the dumbest things I have ever done, and a total waste of money. Sure, I got accepted to medical school, however, I am now sure that I would have had many more interviews if I had applied earlier. Like you, original poster, I took the August MCAT but I turned in my primary application in October after I found out my score. You are in a tricky position because the earlier you turn in your app, the better your chances are. But you are probably going to want to see your score before you apply. Good luck, it's a really crappy situation to be in.

See the thread: *~*~**~*~THE OFFICIAL AUG 2006 MCATers APPLYING FOR THE 2007 CYCLE~*~*~*~*~

Many of us did relatively well, but I think all of us would have done better if we had applied earlier.

Search the forums for posts by me (my userid) and the term "August". I've given advice about this before. I took the August MCAT and was accepted.

Applying late is one of the dumbest things I have ever done, and a total waste of money. Sure, I got accepted to medical school, however, I am now sure that I would have had many more interviews if I had applied earlier. Like you, original poster, I took the August MCAT but I turned in my primary application in October after I found out my score. You are in a tricky position because the earlier you turn in your app, the better your chances are. But you are probably going to want to see your score before you apply. Good luck, it's a really crappy situation to be in.

See the thread: *~*~**~*~THE OFFICIAL AUG 2006 MCATers APPLYING FOR THE 2007 CYCLE~*~*~*~*~

Many of us did relatively well, but I think all of us would have done better if we had applied earlier.

AGREED. You'll see my name here and there through that thread, and while I'm ecstatic to be going to medical school, I think things could have turned out better (or more prestigious, however you want to say that...)

August MCAT won't kill you, but it's more than just a little setback.

At many of the schools I applied to, they wouldn't put your application in line to be reviewed until they received your MCAT scores. My scores came around Mid-October, and I received some "complete" notifications starting the first week of November. My good friend had already been to 4 of 5 interviews and had an acceptance in the bag.

It's hard to say how taking the August MCAT will affect your application as this is the first application year where there are more than 2 MCAT dates. Scores are also released quicker so that could change things as well. So, asking people about how they did last cycle with the August MCAT is a moot point since the playing field has changed. Though I agree with everyone above that people who have acceptances with the August MCAT may have done even better (application wise) if their applications were submitted in June or early July.

The best advice is get your stuff in as early as possible even if you don't plan to take the MCAT until August. That way the schools can at least put you in the front of the line for review when scores are released. If possible, take the MCAT earlier (like July or even June). Good luck!

GPA 3.7
Lots of ec’s
Work at hospital 5 years

i have been offered 7 interviews, attended 3 and was accepted to three schools. took the august 06' mcat. just take it when you are most prepared.

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here. I think you should go ahead with the August MCAT (because as others have said, you should definitely take it when you're most prepared), but I don't think you should apply this cycle. Applying late is probably the single most damaging thing you can do in your application process. You're putting yourself in line behind all those people who submitted their AMCAS and MCAT scores in June. Don't cheat yourself. Get your letters of rec now, take the MCAT and ace it, and apply first thing when the AMCAS comes out in June of 2008. I guarantee you'll do better if you apply early next time than if you apply late this time.

Just to clarify...

It is too late to apply for the class of 2011 (starting medical school in Aug 2007). The application cycle for the class of 2012 (starting medical school in Aug 2008) will kick off in June of this year.