Quick question, need input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syck

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, great forum. I've heard many horror stories about taking the MCAT in august instead of april, but there's no way ill be ready for the april exam. So i was wondering which is better taking the test in auguest or next april. Im 3rd year bio major now, so if i do take the test and apply next year, will i be able to go on med schol right after my senior year? Thx

Members don't see this ad.

You must take the test this April or August if you want to go to med school right after your senior year.

If you take the test next April, you must wait a year.

I guess the horror is that you might be a little later than some applicants in getting everything to med school. This really only impacts schools that have rolling policies, and even these schools know that many people take the test in August so they make sure to keep plenty of spots open. So, if you are not ready in April, August wouldn't be so bad. Better than waiting till next year and having to take a year off if that isn't what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
taking the test in august and being a little later will only affect you badly if you have a not too hot (average) application. This is because schools will just pile you with the rest of the applicants. whereas if you have strengths that stand out you will be pulled from the avg group and given some consideration. 'hope this helps! good luck. :cool:

You can take the test this August and be right on time for applying next June. Just don't take the test NEXT August, because then, you will be late.