quick question on remediation exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serpinc1

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone who had to write a remediation exam (or know anyone who did) could provide some insight if there is a fee to write this exam. For instance, if someone has t write a remediation exam for course A, do they have to re-pay the tuition associated with that course?

I understand this would be the case for re-taking course entirely, but is this also the case for taking the remediation exam? Does it change things if the exam is passed?

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You mean like a preclinical class exam? At my school there's never a fee to retake after failing, not sure about others.

Yes, I mean in a pre-clinical setting, just a course from basic science years. It seems very odd to re-charge tuition for a course that you are just taking a remediation exam for, but I just wanted to see if this was the case anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else with some insight on this matter?

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone who had to write a remediation exam (or know anyone who did) could provide some insight if there is a fee to write this exam. For instance, if someone has t write a remediation exam for course A, do they have to re-pay the tuition associated with that course?

I understand this would be the case for re-taking course entirely, but is this also the case for taking the remediation exam? Does it change things if the exam is passed?

Thank you all in advance!
None of the medical schools I've been on Faculty on have charged people for a remediation exam. I'ts part of your course(s).

Is this for a single discipline exam like Anatomy? Or an organ systems course like Cardiology?

Just a shot in the dark, a school might buy a shelf exam and then make you take it at some some of testing center, or make you pay the fee for the exam?

No charge - the only cost I had retaking an exam was to my ego ;)

Reactions: 1 users
None of the medical schools I've been on Faculty on have charged people for a remediation exam. I'ts part of your course(s).

Is this for a single discipline exam like Anatomy? Or an organ systems course like Cardiology?

Just a shot in the dark, a school might buy a shelf exam and then make you take it at some some of testing center, or make you pay the fee for the exam?

Hi @Goro - thanks for the reply. This is just for a discipline exam (Anatomy). The registrar's office claims that the remediation exam is just like "retaking" the course, so they apply the same amount of tuition associated with the whole original course - just for the exam!

I understand if this is for retaking the course entirely, but not just for the remediation exam. In regards to your question, the exam was written at the campus in question, there was no shelf exam bought or anything, it was just like taking any other examination.

Hi @Goro - thanks for the reply. This is just for a discipline exam (Anatomy). The registrar's office claims that the remediation exam is just like "retaking" the course, so they apply the same amount of tuition associated with the whole original course - just for the exam!

I understand if this is for retaking the course entirely, but not just for the remediation exam. In regards to your question, the exam was written at the campus in question, there was no shelf exam bought or anything, it was just like taking any other examination.
Is this an MD school????

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. But was it as much as your tuition for the course?

Our tuition is by semester not by course so it's hard to say how much a course is, but no, definitely not. I don't remember how much it was, maybe a couple hundred bucks? Enough to be a pain, not enough to have to get more loans (unless you're really in dire straits, I guess).

This is confusing and sounds highly unethical to charge you thousands of dollars for you to remediate a single in-house preclinical exam. This is bonkers. I’ve never heard of this

See nec fac's post above.

Thank you @NecFasc92 and @Goro - yes, the explanation they provided did seem very odd to me. Remediation exams from my understanding were part of the original course and should you pass, that should be the end of it - not being charged for the entire tuition associated with the course again. I will speak directly with them again tomorrow.

If you (or anyone else) have any tips for what I should state to support my argument, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you all again.

Thank you @NecFasc92 and @Goro - yes, the explanation they provided did seem very odd to me. Remediation exams from my understanding were part of the original course and should you pass, that should be the end of it - not being charged for the entire tuition associated with the course again. I will speak directly with them again tomorrow.

If you (or anyone else) have any tips for what I should state to support my argument, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you all again.
If you want to go through with it, talk to a lawyer, seems illegal to charge someone for a class that was never given.

Also find out if this is written school policy and they have adhered to it 100% of the time. If not, then you actually have grounds for a lawsuit.

This doesn't seem to find this in writing anywhere at all. You would think things like this would be more transparent...

Hello again everyone. I was wondering if it changes this if the remediation exam is for a failed course as apposed to a failed exam? Or is it all the same?

Sorry, just making sure. I don't want there to be any ambiguity when I discuss my situation.

I also contacted a few other schools if this was a policy there and the answer was a "no" across the board.

My school does not charge for remediation exams. Obviously if you retake a class you pay for it. The exam seems nuts to me. A small fee would make sense for proctoring it

Reactions: 1 user
you should just out the school and save future students the hassle of dealing with this nonsense. Charging for a remediation sounds ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
Name the school it sounds like they are gouging people. If this was my school I would be splattering it everywhere and make sure all future prospects were aware of their BS