Quick question regarding Index of refraction [contradiction?]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheOneAndOnlyJamesFranco

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I understand that n = how much a material can bend light... so if n increase in a lens, does its focal distance increase or decrease?

I believe it is decrease because the light now gets bent down more (or sooner) so it hits the x-axis sooner and thus a shorter focal length...

BUT, in 2 mediums, when you go from low n to high n, if the refracted ray bends TOWARDS the normal... doesn't that contradict the previous statement?


Not sure if I am just missing a basic thing..

Thanks