Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrScrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on taking the Canadian DAT during the November test date. I was also planning on applying to American and Canadian Dental schools this upcoming cycle. I was wondering if taking the November DAT would put me at a disadvantage in applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle (for example, since the AADSAS application opens June 1, and I'll be writing my DAT significantly later than that).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on taking the Canadian DAT during the November test date. I was also planning on applying to American and Canadian Dental schools this upcoming cycle. I was wondering if taking the November DAT would put me at a disadvantage in applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle (for example, since the AADSAS application opens June 1, and I'll be writing my DAT significantly later than that).
It depends on your DAT scores. I don't know much about the Canadian DAT but test date in November seems a little late for US dental school if you have average score (20 or below) because they will most likely announce the first round of acceptance near December 1st.
It's possible if you do very well on the DAT and assuming the rest of your application is above normal as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't waste my money applying this cycle (I'm Canadian). It's VERY late. You'd be getting your DAT scores in the first two weeks of December, then they would need to send the DAT scores to the schools (electronically).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

What is your GPA? If you have a high GPA... And Have the money to spend... I say why not just give it a shot? It will put you in a disadvantage for sure but if you apply to schools that accepts late DAT scores and don't mind taking the chance, then why not?

It's only worth it if you know what you're going into. You're looking at post-dec interviews which are much harder to get.

If your application is strong overall and think you can score an above average DAT, then you could consider trying this cycle for an acceptance next year.
Just know that you're gonna have to apply to lots of schools and have a lot of waiting period before you get responses.

One question I have though.. do you really need to wait until November to take the DAT?
I think that you need about 2 months to study for the DAT to get a good score. So if you take it over summer break, you should be able to get it done on time for pre-dec interviews.

One question I have though.. do you really need to wait until November to take the DAT?
I think that you need about 2 months to study for the DAT to get a good score. So if you take it over summer break, you should be able to get it done on time for pre-dec interviews.

The Canadian DAT is only given 2x per year (February, and November).

If you're applying this upcoming June, then taking the DAT in November would be rather late for US schools since many of them have December 1st deadlines. Also, some schools have DAT deadlines that are before November. Depending on your stats, some schools may be willing to work with you to wait on your scores before they make a decision on your application. Don't waste your money applying until you reach out to the schools that you're interested in to see what they have to say.