quick question

gabeybaby

♥♠☻
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
will we need chem, physics, and calc in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Most definately... but much more in depth than the stuff we're doing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
OoOoOh.

A link!

I love them... they're so... clickable...

Most definately... but much more in depth than the stuff we're doing now.
Not for calculus, high school calculus is certainly sufficient (hopefully to your relief, that is, if you are taking ap calc).

Not for calculus, high school calculus is certainly sufficient (hopefully to your relief, that is, if you are taking ap calc).

Seriously?!

That's the best news I think I've ever heard in my entire life.

So wait--if we took normal calc in high school, then it doesn't count?

will we need chem, physics, and calc in med school?

You definitely use chem and physics (a lot of applied physics in physiology) in med school. Stats more than Calc, but I'd recommend taking Calc in undergrad anyway since a lot of schools have it as a requisite course.

It's not my fault I go to a school with no AP classes!

My actual implication was that if you "place out" on Ap calc AB/BC, you can meet the requirements without taking such in college. With that stipulation, I would disagree with Dekapote in that I personally would never have taken college calculus (which I didn't, obviously thanks to our friends at the college board and their gracious AP examinations). If you plan on doing any form of research then statistics is your chum.

With biology and chemistry, I think it prudent to take in college regardless of Ap credit (biology much more than chemistry).

Members don't see this ad :)
personal note.

I placed out of Calc I with AB Calc and then wound up taking it anyway at the recommendation of my pre-med advisor. Some med schools don't take AP credit and I wanted to make sure I didn't have requisite issues.

I also placed out of English I with a high ACT score at my undergrad and went straight to English II. This meant I only took a single semester of English and another (non-English dept) writing intensive class. This was problematic when I was applying b/c many schools required 2 semesters of English. I had to send letters requesting they accept my schools waiver or my writing intensive. Everyone wanted something different... it wound up being a huge mess.

Moral of the story. AP, CLEP and other ways to skip taking college coursework can sometime make the med school app process harder. Occasionally, it is better to take an easy freshman level class and get the nice GPA boost.

personal note.

I placed out of Calc I with AB Calc and then wound up taking it anyway at the recommendation of my pre-med advisor. Some med schools don't take AP credit and I wanted to make sure I didn't have requisite issues.

I also placed out of English I with a high ACT score at my undergrad and went straight to English II. This meant I only took a single semester of English and another (non-English dept) writing intensive class. This was problematic when I was applying b/c many schools required 2 semesters of English. I had to send letters requesting they accept my schools waiver or my writing intensive. Everyone wanted something different... it wound up being a huge mess.

Moral of the story. AP, CLEP and other ways to skip taking college coursework can sometime make the med school app process harder. Occasionally, it is better to take an easy freshman level class and get the nice GPA boost.

I'm currently debating wether or not to take the AP calculus test here in a few months. I have checked with the med. schools I am hoping to apply to down the road, and while they accept this, do you think it would be better to take it again in UG?

I'm currently debating wether or not to take the AP calculus test here in a few months. I have checked with the med. schools I am hoping to apply to down the road, and while they accept this, do you think it would be better to take it again in UG?

If you're taking AP Calc, it wouldn't hurt to take the test... I don't think it hurt that I took it in undergrad after having taken the AP. The course was a breeze and I don't think it hurt my admissions chances.

Go ahead and take the test. I would just be open to the possibility of taking it again in undergrad.

Regarding Dekapote's anecdote: that is interesting. Yet, I'm guessing you sent the letter regarding English Ap credit preemptively; or did schools actually harass you on the subject? I sent in zero letters of explanation and apparently did quite all right without a single utterance of the subject. Perhaps my case was singular.

If you're taking AP Calc, it wouldn't hurt to take the test... I don't think it hurt that I took it in undergrad after having taken the AP. The course was a breeze and I don't think it hurt my admissions chances.

Go ahead and take the test. I would just be open to the possibility of taking it again in undergrad.

I'm more worried about wether or not I will do well in Calculus at the college level. Is the degree of difficultly high in comparison to the course at the high school level? I know alot of it depends on your prof. and if you are willing to do work on your own time.

Regarding Dekapote's anecdote: that is interesting. Yet, I'm guessing you sent the letter regarding English Ap credit preemptively; or did schools actually harass you on the subject? I sent in zero letters of explanation and apparently did quite all right without a single utterance of the subject. Perhaps my case was singular.

IT wasn't AP credit was the problem. My UGrad institution waived the course so I had no 2nd English class on my transcript rather than a place on the transcript where it showed an AP credit. I sent the letters when I had a secondary ask which course I was using to fulfill their English 6 hrs of English requirement. (or something to that extent)

I'm more worried about wether or not I will do well in Calculus at the college level. Is the degree of difficultly high in comparison to the course at the high school level? I know alot of it depends on your prof. and if you are willing to do work on your own time.

Compared to some of the other premed classes I took, it was a breeze. Esp having had the material before. Definitely easier the 2nd time around. :rolleyes:

Although I didn't actually take calc I in college, (I AP'd out and took a bunch of other math courses) I know that the calc I class at my university used the exact same book as I used in high school. So it was basically the exact same class, although I guess the pace was a little faster, but even then I don't think it went too quickly. Especially if you at least have the basic understanding of calculus from high school, you should have no problem doing well in it at college (barring a really tough professor of course).

Compared to some of the other premed classes I took, it was a breeze. Esp having had the material before. Definitely easier the 2nd time around. :rolleyes:

Although I didn't actually take calc I in college, (I AP'd out and took a bunch of other math courses) I know that the calc I class at my university used the exact same book as I used in high school. So it was basically the exact same class, although I guess the pace was a little faster, but even then I don't think it went too quickly. Especially if you at least have the basic understanding of calculus from high school, you should have no problem doing well in it at college (barring a really tough professor of course).

Awesome, sounds good. I might just go ahead and take it again in that case. We'll see how the schedule is looking for next year.

personal note.

While we're on this topic, I have a question about the whole "AP'ed out" process for a particular course. My understanding is that if you get a certain score on the test then you don't have to take the course...but do you get the high school grade that you got for the course? or do you just only get the credit?
i'm thinking that you only get the credit according to your statement, so would that be considered like a "check" for taking calculus under the premed requirements?

While we're on this topic, I have a question about the whole "AP'ed out" process for a particular course. My understanding is that if you get a certain score on the test then you don't have to take the course...but do you get the high school grade that you got for the course? or do you just only get the credit?
i'm thinking that you only get the credit according to your statement, so would that be considered like a "check" for taking calculus under the premed requirements?

You get credit for the course but not a grade. It counts as __ credit hours towards your degree. (however many the class is normally worth, usually 3-4)

Whether the medical schools decide to accept the AP credit for the course you took is up to them.

You get credit for the course but not a grade. It counts as __ credit hours towards your degree. (however many the class is normally worth, usually 3-4)

Whether the medical schools decide to accept the AP credit for the course you took is up to them.

So even though you are taking it at the high school through the local Community college, you don't get a grade? If that is true, I'm going to be extremely happy. I won't have a trascript from the Community College to send in as well? Just credit marked down at my UG?

So even though you are taking it at the high school through the local Community college, you don't get a grade? If that is true, I'm going to be extremely happy. I won't have a trascript from the Community College to send in as well? Just credit marked down at my UG?

if you take it at a community college and get a grade, that's different. For AP tests you just take a test for credit.

I'm not 100% sure how dual enrollment works for undergrad credit. But for med schools you provide transcripts from every undergrad institution you've ever attended (including community colleges) and they check grades from all of them. So even if your community college grade didn't count for undergrad, it would count when you apply for med school.

I had grades from 6 different schools factor into my AMCAS GPA.*

*this included some HS coursework

if you take it at a community college and get a grade, that's different. For AP tests you just take a test for credit.

I'm not 100% sure how dual enrollment works for undergrad credit. But for med schools you provide transcripts from every undergrad institution you've ever attended (including community colleges) and they check grades from all of them. So even if your community college grade didn't count for undergrad, it would count when you apply for med school.

I had grades from 6 different schools factor into my AMCAS GPA.*

*this included some HS coursework

Hmm, Does anyone know how dual enrollment works?

Yup I'm in it right now... you apply as an "Early Scholar" to the college and are accepted. Then you apply for the classes you want to take and if you get into them you drive to the college for the class and then go back to the high school.

They go on your college transcript just like your other college classes will, but some colleges won't allow you to transfer credits so you have to be careful sometimes about what you take.

Yup I'm in it right now... you apply as an "Early Scholar" to the college and are accepted. Then you apply for the classes you want to take and if you get into them you drive to the college for the class and then go back to the high school.

They go on your college transcript just like your other college classes will, but some colleges won't allow you to transfer credits so you have to be careful sometimes about what you take.

Haha CScull :p. Not quite the question I was asking, or the way it works at my school. I currently am dual-enrolled in Comp 110 (Comp 1 at the school) but take it AT the high school. I will recieve the credit for the class, and am guessing the grade will be transferred to my college transcript, but am not positive since it is actually taken at the high school. Was more a question towards anyone who has applied to med school and been in a similar situation.

Ours is a little different.

You have to have a certain GPA, and if you have it, then you can take classes. End of story. No applying involved. You can take classes at the college at your high school, but you have to watch the way the credits turn over (i.e., one college credit is worth .2 credits at my high school). Depending on the program, you'll have to pay for your books, tuition, fees and such--or the state will pay for some of it, or all of it. It just depends.

Most public schools in your state will transfer your college credits. Public schools outside of your state and most private schools--not so much.

Haha CScull :p. Not quite the question I was asking, or the way it works at my school. I currently am dual-enrolled in Comp 110 (Comp 1 at the school) but take it AT the high school. I will recieve the credit for the class, and am guessing the grade will be transferred to my college transcript, but am not positive since it is actually taken at the high school. Was more a question towards anyone who has applied to med school and been in a similar situation.

Well then maybe you should have asked the question you were asking then hmm? :p

I've heard of that before but I'm not sure as the only person I've know personally who's taken one is actually going to that school. I would just ask your concilor at college, the policy will be be different at different schools.

I began college with both AP and dual enrollment credits. For the AP classes I recieved credit for taking the class but my grade in the class is not on my transcripts nor does it actually impact my GPA. For the dual enrollment credits my grade is listed on transcripts (although it is also noted that it was taken at a community college not at my UG) and is included in my GPA calculations. For me this was true for how both my UG and various vet schools (finished applications recently) viewed these classes. Not sure if its exactly the same for med schools, but its worked this way for everyone I know who has transferred these classes into various UG schools.