Quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

percywilkins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a person (could be me...or could not) had a 250+ step 1, but was around 60th percentile of class (little below average), had a failed class (anatomy), that they retook and is now a Pass, and is about to start third year..............do they have any chance in hell, if they crush third year, and take a year off to do research, and thus raise their class rank and research experience considerably? Or is that "conditional pass" due to summer make up exams and average 1st-2nd year grades going to kill them?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you do what u say u are going to do, u could match well. Many schools do not even have grades the first two years (pass fail). Also, that strong step I score shows that u at least learned the material and even mastered it. I would think that would make up for the less than perfect 2nd year grades.

I don't have 1st hand knowledge on this as I didn't conditionally pass any preclinical courses. But any applicant with a high Step 1, outstanding clinical grades, and research experience (especially those that require time off) should be in decent if not good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you still have a decent shot if you do the things outlined above... the only thing I would add would be for you to consider working in the anatomy situation in to your personal statement somewhere to give you a chance to "explain" the situation because chances are someone reviewing your application is not going to contact you for clarification you are on the fence between getting an interview or not.

I understand opencomedo's point. However, would you really want to frame this in your PS or rather let the 100+ programs you are going to apply too each personally weigh this in? Your PS should really hit hard on WHY Derm. How does your remediation have anything to do with WHY Derm for you? Maybe it does... I dunno. Also, I would think you'd be watering down anything truthfully wonderful to say about yourself and your endeavors. I would think the programs would be excited to see you rise above and tackle your personal struggles. You kept going, you didn't drop out, and you did make up for it big time with the Step 1. This is what I would get from your application. But perhaps I am more optimistic than most. :)

However, if you don't put it in your PS and it is brought up then make sure to have your solid HONEST answer ready.

You can fail Step 1 and still match derm.
You can fail a class and still match derm.

Obviously they passed later.... but I've seen both situations happen. Their applications made up for it in other ways, and they were great residents.

Also, I don't think their personal statements addressed it... and most of the faculty who conducted interviews seemed oblivious because they never bothered to look at the transcript that closely.

Once you're in the door, most people just want to get to know you and if you will work hard, keep up with reading, and fit into the program...

Last edited:
You can fail Step 1 and still match derm.

Just out of curiousity....can you tell us more about this person and what they had going for them to overcome their step 1?

Or maybe you can not address it... I had just heard the story of the DUI guy in the context of "maybe if he had addressed it in his PS" but that is just one persons opinion. I have heard of a guy matching that got a 200 on Step I and had mediocre grades through doing an away rotation and doing a great job on it (he had very few interviews too). Its all about what contacts you are able to make and how good an impression you make on them (as well as some luck). DIGA has a forum where you can ask questions from faculty directly in a forum (most of them are Program Directors), their identity is confirmed by the mods on DIGA as well so you can feel pretty certain that their advice is authentic.

I would check with your school to see how your "conditional pass" will be reported on the transcript. Some schools will internally keep track but externally will only show a pass on the transcript. If you are pass/no pass (really no grades in the first two year), it's not going to matter much. You might be at a disadvantage for AOA election (depends on how your school does the AOA election algorithims). If you are a pass/no pass school your Step 1 is going to pretty much sum up first two years...this is hard for people to swallow but that's just the way it is...no one is going to really look at your grades if you crush step 1...

If you do well in your third year and get mostly to all honors...your anatomy grade will be a distant memory. If you get the research together, then you will be good to go. I would find out if the grades from the first two years are used in class ranking since this might alter the last line of your dean's letter (probably the only line that is really read in the dean's letter anyway). That said, if you do well in third year, I can't imagine an anatomy course altering your dean's letter (especially if you are pass/no pass anyway).

I would not put the anatomy stuff in the PS...why would you bring that to attention if you have improved. In any case, I don't see how that would relate to derm anyway. You could use your experiences to show your ability to take on personal challenges in the interviews and be honest about why things happened the way they did.

You would have a good chance of matching but remember that connections are worth more than anything else in the application process...get to know your home derm department and see what derm related research you could do with your year off.

Good luck!