Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khaotic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if it were too late to apply for the 2012 (Aug) class? I read on the AACPM site that the last day was June for the Fall year? Did I read that correctly, we can still apply until June 30th for an August acceptance? I know early applications are better, just wondering if it is still open.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is very much still open, but as you said the later in the cycle you are, the more competitive it gets. Also scholarship money will dwindle as the cycles comes to an end.

Sounds great, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a question for you. I have a 2.88 gpa (long story -- father of 3, worked 55+ hrs a week while in school etc...) and a 20 MCAT. I have been considering retaking the mcat just to see if I can raise my score up. I have a ton of hands on work experience in medicine, not particularly in Podiatry yet, and great volunteer work.

I know a better mcat will only increase my chances but where do you guys think I stand as of now?

Thanks! :)

Here's a question for you. I have a 2.88 gpa (long story -- father of 3, worked 55+ hrs a week while in school etc...) and a 20 MCAT. I have been considering retaking the mcat just to see if I can raise my score up. I have a ton of hands on work experience in medicine, not particularly in Podiatry yet, and great volunteer work.

I know a better mcat will only increase my chances but where do you guys think I stand as of now?

Your history is very commendable. Handling work, children, and school is a lot so I applaud you for that. Your gpa is below the average (3.1-3.3) and your MCAT is also below average (~21-22 and higher at some schools). There are people who get in with your stats, but these these people are getting fewer and fewer each year. I suggest you to apply ASAP if you want to matriculate in 2012. Again the applicant pool gets more competitive as time goes on. Also, with your stats and 3 children, I strongly suggest that you think if whether or not a rigorous curriculum is a good idea. With a family, time management will be key in your success. Goodluck! :)

EDIT: also I forgot to mention that you need to shadow a podiatrist. I'm not sure if you have or not, but this is essential for not only your admission cycle, but it will be of great value in solidifying your decision in entering the field of podiatric medicine

I could be wrong, but I think that you'd need a minimum of 23-24 on the MCAT to be considered with that GPA.

Sorry but your GPA is very low as is your MCAT score. Podiatry school is a full time job and if you couldn't manage your time in College, how do you think you'll fair in a far more rigorous curriculum? I'm not trying to be harsh but reality is sometimes.

Some people will even apply in June, interview in July andstart class in August, so it is never too late. However, the later you applythe harder it can be to get accepted. As for you individually your MCAT and GPAare a little low. Like "Kidsfeet" said, podiatry school is a fulltime job and it requires a great deal of time and commitment. A low GPA andMCAT score means you may not be prepared. These scores along with a lot ofdistractions could prove to be disastrous... leaving you with a lot of debt andno degree. You have to decide if this is something you actually want to getinvolved in and if you will be able to stick with it for seven years.