• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

MShopes

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey guys- I did a search and found nothing similar to my case. Briefly, in the course work section of AMCAS, I'm suppose to enter all courses taken in the college that are actually in the official transcript right? And then when AMCAS gets my transcript it verifies that the information I entered was right, that is part of their verification process correct? I took calculus in my first semester of college due to scoring high on the entrance exam and unfortunately I had to drop the course because of many reasons. So I decided to take calculus again (with lab) the following semester and got a grade of A in both the lecture and lab. Does the W in transcript still looks bad? Doesn't the A shows that I was not weak in calculus and just dropped for non-academic purposes?

Lastly, do I enter the calculus course that I withdrew in the course work as well? I see that I can specify the course type as withdrawal. Since they are going to see my transcript, I don't want to escape from putting it in the course work since they might think I'm trying to cheat and avoid the bad point in my transcript.

Thanks a bunch for any one who is willing to help.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys- I did a search and found nothing similar to my case. Briefly, in the course work section of AMCAS, I'm suppose to enter all courses taken in the college that are actually in the official transcript right? And then when AMCAS gets my transcript it verifies that the information I entered was right, that is part of their verification process correct? I took calculus in my first semester of college due to scoring high on the entrance exam and unfortunately I had to drop the course because of many reasons. So I decided to take calculus again (with lab) the following semester and got a grade of A in both the lecture and lab. Does the W in transcript still looks bad? Doesn't the A shows that I was not weak in calculus and just dropped for non-academic purposes?

Lastly, do I enter the calculus course that I withdrew in the course work as well? I see that I can specify the course type as withdrawal. Since they are going to see my transcript, I don't want to escape from putting it in the course work since they might think I'm trying to cheat and avoid the bad point in my transcript.

Thanks a bunch for any one who is willing to help.
If the class is listed as a W on your transcript, then you have to put it down. It won't go into your GPA. It's fine. If you had a bunch of them then it might be concerning, but just one is fine

MShopes

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
If the class is listed as a W on your transcript, then you have to put it down. It won't go into your GPA. It's fine. If you had a bunch of them then it might be concerning, but just one is fine
The calculus course had a lecture and lab that are separate so I had two W in the transcript accounting for total of 4 credits both. But I have a 4.0 GPA, so all my current 80 credits are all A's for total of 2 years and half. Especially that I got an A right the following semester, it shows that I wasn't weak in that subject, so I should be fine with only two W's right?

About the Ads

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
The calculus course had a lecture and lab that are separate so I had two W in the transcript accounting for total of 4 credits both. But I have a 4.0 GPA, so all my current 80 credits are all A's for total of 2 years and half. Especially that I got an A right the following semester, it shows that I wasn't weak in that subject, so I should be fine with only two W's right?
That's fine.

There's really nothing you can do about it at this point anyway, so why worry? 2 W's will not sink your app

MShopes

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
That's fine.

There's really nothing you can do about it at this point anyway, so why worry? 2 W's will not sink your app
Thanks. All I was worrying about is whether I should enter it in the course work or no. You made it clear to me. Thanks a lot!

CodeBlu

Dream Weaver
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2010
The Ether
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Mshopes... I would have replied to this. I was just busy ranting on ethics. I replied to your PM tho.

In general... W's are meh whatever. Better than a C or D or worse a failing grade.

Don't worry too much about them. Just don't get like 8 or 9.

2-3 is fine.

MShopes

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student

MShopes

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
Mshopes... I would have replied to this. I was just busy ranting on ethics. I replied to your PM tho.

In general... W's are meh whatever. Better than a C or D or worse a failing grade.

Don't worry too much about them. Just don't get like 8 or 9.

2-3 is fine.
Thanks for being helpful like always :)

About the Ads