1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Quick questions about AMCAS course work

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MShopes, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MShopes

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey guys- I did a search and found nothing similar to my case. Briefly, in the course work section of AMCAS, I'm suppose to enter all courses taken in the college that are actually in the official transcript right? And then when AMCAS gets my transcript it verifies that the information I entered was right, that is part of their verification process correct? I took calculus in my first semester of college due to scoring high on the entrance exam and unfortunately I had to drop the course because of many reasons. So I decided to take calculus again (with lab) the following semester and got a grade of A in both the lecture and lab. Does the W in transcript still looks bad? Doesn't the A shows that I was not weak in calculus and just dropped for non-academic purposes?

Lastly, do I enter the calculus course that I withdrew in the course work as well? I see that I can specify the course type as withdrawal. Since they are going to see my transcript, I don't want to escape from putting it in the course work since they might think I'm trying to cheat and avoid the bad point in my transcript.

Thanks a bunch for any one who is willing to help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sector9

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If the class is listed as a W on your transcript, then you have to put it down. It won't go into your GPA. It's fine. If you had a bunch of them then it might be concerning, but just one is fine

4. MShopes

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The calculus course had a lecture and lab that are separate so I had two W in the transcript accounting for total of 4 credits both. But I have a 4.0 GPA, so all my current 80 credits are all A's for total of 2 years and half. Especially that I got an A right the following semester, it shows that I wasn't weak in that subject, so I should be fine with only two W's right?

5. sector9

Medical Student
    That's fine.

There's really nothing you can do about it at this point anyway, so why worry? 2 W's will not sink your app

6. MShopes

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks. All I was worrying about is whether I should enter it in the course work or no. You made it clear to me. Thanks a lot!

7. sector9

Medical Student
    No problem. Good luck:thumbup:

8. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mshopes... I would have replied to this. I was just busy ranting on ethics. I replied to your PM tho.

In general... W's are meh whatever. Better than a C or D or worse a failing grade.

Don't worry too much about them. Just don't get like 8 or 9.

2-3 is fine.

9. MShopes

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Best of luck to you too :)

10. MShopes

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks for being helpful like always :)