Quickest way to get CNA and/or EMT cert, and different level of certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocket3004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the pre-md forum, but thought this would be a more fitting topic in this discussion forum.

Where exactly do you go about getting a cna certification from? Nursing home, hopsital, etc? Who do I call at those facilities (if they offer cna classes)? Is there anywhere else I can try, or maybe a good website that has cna information and where to get certified/where to take classes?

Also what different levels of EMT certification are there? I read through a bunch of threads discussing emt certification, but it seems like there are so many types,... emt-b, emt-1, etc.

What is the most basic type of certification (that is worth my while, keep in mind I am a full time student and work partime), about how long does it take, and where is the best place to take the class/get certified? Are there companies that provide/pay for classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, there are many many hospitals that do NOT require any specific CNA certification to work as a nursing assistant/tech. The three different hospitals I worked at as an ER tech did NOT require anymore training than on the job training and orientation. So keep that in mind. Just call the hospitals that you are wanting to work and ask first.

Secondly, there are several levels of EMS certification. First responder, EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, EMT-Paramedic.

What you are probably referring to is the EMT-Basic. Often times community colleges or technical schools offer these courses. Fire departments can also put these courses on. I'd start with a local community college first. Classes vary from part-time to full-time. 4-6 weeks to 6 months in length. just depends on the place.

Don't go out and get your EMT-B just for an application booster to medical school though. they are a dime a dozen. You MUST USE YOUR CERTIFICATION to really make an impact. that goes for CNA as well. don't just get it and never use it.

good luck,

later