Quinn????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjmDO

Vascular Surgery Fellow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can you tell me about the EM residency at Palmetto General Hospital in Hileah, Fl? I am a second year getting ready to sit for the boards and I am very interested in EM, used to be a paramedic. Anyway, I am also very interested in moving to Fl for residency.

thanks

tjmdo

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year and have done several months at PGH. There is no EM residency at PGH. They do have an internship that is tracked with the Mt. Sinai EM program therefore most interns that are accepted to the Mt. Sinai EM program complete their internship at PGH.

Thanks alot for the info. What do you think of the Mt Sinai EM program? Is it any good???

Tjmdo

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there (Mt Sinai) a year ago. Seemed kind of thin on Peds, acute patients, trauma. The residency really rotates at 3 different hospitals, sometimes in the same month. When I asked the residnts if they were happy there and would recommend the program, they universally said "ummm...." Also, remember this will be a four (4) year experience.

Now, for perspective. 1. The hospital sits directly on the water. Look out the window from the ICU and see NaCl H2O. Pretty cool. 2. South Beach, where the bikini top goes south. JUST DOWN THE ROAD. Miami is a pretty cool city.

I'll respond to this thread prolly tomorrow, but at this time I am drinking a Miller Lite and enjoying my next two days off. But I second Chris_Topher's thoughts at this time.

Q, DO
(your busily inebriating moderator).

Initially, as a DO student, I was all about going to a DO EM residency, as I thought it would be impossible for a DO to match into an MD program. So I had a great interest at Mt. Sinai.

Then, as a third year, I started hearing rumors about Mt. Sinai that were a bit unnerving. "They might lose accredidation soon." "Funding is an issue." "Your ass is scutted all day long." "There is little teaching."

Granted, those rumors were word of mouth only and I never sought to confirm what I heard... but indeed it raised an eyebrow.

Then, I applied for residency. I had originally planned to apply to both DO EM programs and MD... but after getting more than enough MD programs, I didn't even bother applying ot the DO programs, and threw away their applications.

Q, DO

Hello Quinn,
I have been reading alot of your post about EM. I wanted to know if there are possibilities for ER doc's to be self-employed (i.e. private practice) versus working for a hospital based service. I will be starting PCOM in the fall and EM is one of the specialties that I'm interested in pursuing.
Thanks,
Keith

Probably best to start a brand new thread about it and pose the question to the general SDN population, as you won't get much traffic in this thread and, well, I don't have much informationt o give you about your answer.

Q, DO

Hey quinn,
when do you think the best time for me to eat lunch is, like right now or maybe I should wait a couple hours? If I have a beer with it do you think thats a good idea too?

thanks man

John

Originally posted by kungfufishing
Hey quinn,
when do you think the best time for me to eat lunch is, like right now or maybe I should wait a couple hours? If I have a beer with it do you think thats a good idea too?

thanks man

John

Beer (or three) first, then eat lunch. If you eat lunch then drink beer, you'll lose the buzz.

And before you ask, that rash of yours is NOT candida. Some people refer to it on the street as catching the "happies."

Doesn't anyone have any questions I CANNOT answer?!

Q, DO

+pissed+

That B**** better find a new babydaddy. Is it another kind of soap I can try to wash it off?

Drip....drip....drip.....

......I am going to have to stick this swab a little way in.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by daveswafford
I stubbed my toe. Can I have some Demerol?

No. I prefer Fentanyl or good old MS04 to Demerol. Watch out for your baseboards.

Any other questions?

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
No. I prefer Fentanyl or good old MS04 to Demerol. Watch out for your baseboards.

Any other questions?

Q, DO

Are you really the "one" ? :cool:

Quinn,

When taking a piss, should you use your right or left hand? Does it make a difference? I've heard different people offer different opinions. What is the correct method?

Thanks,

Rookie

College of Medicine
Class of 2015
University of State School
EM intern
Class of 2018

Originally posted by edinOH
Quinn,

When taking a piss, should you use your right or left hand? Does it make a difference? I've heard different people offer different opinions. What is the correct method?

The mighty Quinn needs both hands.

Quinn the Mighty Eskimo

That's a pretty kickass Bob Dylan song... and now how I will forever picture QuinnNSU.

'Tis a shame I can now no longer think Quinn with the old avatar.

Originally posted by daveswafford
Quinn the Mighty Eskimo

That's a pretty kickass Bob Dylan song... and now how I will forever picture QuinnNSU.

'Tis a shame I can now no longer think Quinn with the old avatar.

That picture is nothing. You should have seen the pictures that he posted as "himself" on the boards a while ago. It was a picture of an attractive girl wearing lingerie, and half of the posts after it were posts telling him how "hot" he was. :laugh:

Originally posted by edinOH
Quinn,

Thanks,

Rookie

I sit when I pee so I dont' use either.

Q, DO

:rolleyes:

Where's that barf icon when you need it?;)

Is sitting really evidence based? I usually let someone else do the job, but when I have to do the work myself both hands is safer, more accurate, and not as labor intensive as earlier, limited studies indicated (ok, so a good mix of anecdotal and EBM there...)

Current literature reviews reveal that during extreme inebriated and ataxia due to LD50 doses of ethanol, it is best to use one hand to steady oneself against the wall, while the other (preferably dominant) hand controls pitch and yaw.

However, this article was printed in the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association so it probably means nothing.

Q, DO

well, no, it means that both of the subjects involved in the study benefited from leaning against the wall. good for them.

unfortunately, so true.

Quinn,

Should I fake my orgasms?

What about when I'm alone?

Lumberg said:
Quinn,

Should I fake my orgasms?

What about when I'm alone?

Yes, you should. If you are alone, keep a cup of warm yogurt to throw around, as needed.

NOTE: Some need to throw the yogurt farther than others... as some just "dribble" the yogurt.

Q, DO

no desire to one up that one. Ill never be able to ask someone if they eat a lot of yogurt again.