Quit an EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. You can look at my mdapps to see where I applied and what my stats are. A quick rundown. I work about 50 hours a week driving a semi truck and 20 hours on the weekend as a patient transporter in the hospital. I put that on my app.

I was offered another job working from home paying about the same but I have flexibility throughout the week. It has absolutely nothing to do with healthcare, but would allow me to be away from home MUCH less and spend more time with my family (wife and 3 kids). I am currently applying, complete at 7 of 10 schools, no interviews yet.

What would you guys do? The week job pays my debts so it isn't changing. It is the clinical weekends I am worried about losing. Me not being home is starting to wear on me but my app says 20 hours/week. I don't want med schools to try to verify it and HR says "no" and I lose an acceptance or something like that. But it is a lot more time at home.

Currently I have 110 hours shadowing on top of my transport job. Looking for input.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it seems like you really want to take this other opportunity that will allow you to stay at home. At least quitting the other EC's won't mean that you are lying about them. At the time you submitted, that's what you were doing. If the schools did call HR, they could verify that yes, you were there at one point in time.
If you want to go for it, then you should. Just send the schools an update on what you are doing and how this decision made it easier for you to spend some more time with your family. I don't think this will jeopardize you're application at all.
It seems like you have more than enough hours of work in those experiences and in shadowing. It should just come down to what is best for you.
Hope that helps!

Thanks. I have been doing it a year (just had my anniversary) so 20x52=1040 total hours of patient transport. I would love to spend time with my kids, but I have been working my balls off to make med school a dream, I don't want to ruin that with a stupid move this close. I could wait for an acceptance too or I could ask the schools. I just feel so close.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, there are a couple of residency programs associated with the hospital that I could be interested in. Would that change any input?

Hm, well I guess I don't really know enough about the relationships/hierarchy within hospitals to know about whether you'd be missing out on residency connections. Sorry- that's out of my knowledge zone!
I do think, though, that a full year of the transport is still a worthy accomplishment that med schools will be happy to see.

Your stats loo great man, spend time with the family before the four year grind begins.

Your stats loo great man, spend time with the family before the four year grind begins.

Amen.

Quit that ****. You've got a lot of clinical hours, which at least shows that you have an idea of what you are getting into. That's all they are looking for. A lot hours more really isn't going to change anything.

I don't think the residency issue changes anything either. You have four upcoming years of med school to make connections at hospitals and impress the right people. Your kids aren't getting any younger. Enjoy it while you can.

What would be the best way to contact the schools. Wait for an interview? Send a mass e-mail? And what is the best way to say it without it coming across as "I met the quota so I quit."

I would wait for the interview and bring it up on a case by case basis. If you are asked about the job, then tell them. Otherwise, you have no obligation to update them about everything you do.

Plus, you have a very valid reason for switching jobs. Any human being with any compassion at all would understand your reasoning. ADCOM's are no different.

I wouldn't update them with that info. If they bring up that ec in an interview discuss it and mention "unfortuneately I just resigned bc of a new job offer that allowed me to spend more time with my family....blah blah blah". I really think its not that big of a deal. Its still too early to be updating them imho.

Spend more time with ur fam. Enjoy man

I wouldn't update them with that info. If they bring up that ec in an interview discuss it and mention "unfortuneately I just resigned bc of a new job offer that allowed me to spend more time with my family....blah blah blah". I really think its not that big of a deal. Its still too early to be updating them imho.

Spend more time with ur fam. Enjoy man

I second that!