quit working at a Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doreenw87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently attending a community college for my pre-professional years. I'm spreading my courses out over more than two years because of my ability to pay tuition out of pocket (to reduce future student loans) and my ability to keep up with classes considering a disability.

I got a job at one of the big retail drugstore chains last October. I'm happy with the experience I've had so far regarding becoming familiar with a pharmacy. However, I've been having problems with some of my superiors playing favorites. As more time passes, the more I dread going into work. Within my company, it is extremely hard to transfer without the permission of the current pharmacy manager.

I have another job I'm doing as a side job, but it is not pharmacy related.

There are no other pharmacy chains in my area that accept non-CPTs. There are no hospitals in my immediate area.

Would it be a mistake to quit working at the pharmacy? I'm happy with the experience I've had so far in regards to becoming familiar with a pharmacy. I don't plan to work retail in the long run, but I am dedicated to the profession of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, you shouldnt quit. I dont know about you, but it was really hard for me to find a job in a pharmacy. I think you'll encounter problems at every pharmacy... coworkers will always talk **** about you no matter which pharmacy you work at. Just gotta toughen up and work for the experience.

if I were you i wouldn't work on the register. i once found a job at rite aid to work on the register in pharmacy and someone who worked in the pharmacy stole money from the register pharmacy tech or pharmacist, dont know. i didn't want to work there b/c of the things that were going on at that pharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd work in a pharmacy long enough to where you can answer your app questions, potential interview questions, and get a LOR from a pharmacist. If you can do all the above, it wouldn't matter if you have 1 day of experience under your belt or 10 years of experience under your belt.

Other than that, get out while you can. In the long run, you will become cynical if you work in retail. In the last 10 years, I've worked at numerous retailers, and I always believed in the retailer's BS about how much they look after you, and how they will reward you for your dedication. It took me 10 years to figure out that it is pretty much BS from a tech standpoint (you should ask any of the retailers how will they reward you as a tech, lol).

People say its hard to get a pharm job, and that is true, but why stick at a store that you hate. Before you quit, you should try to find another retailer. I will warn you though, whether you work for cvs or walgreens, they are pretty much the same. Try to get a job at walmart, target, longs, vons, or any of the smaller "pharmacy's". You will have more time to learn more about the job, vs. becoming another underpaid and overworked staff member.

P.S. I'm a cynic :)

I'd work in a pharmacy long enough to where you can answer your app questions, potential interview questions, and get a LOR from a pharmacist. If you can do all the above, it wouldn't matter if you have 1 day of experience under your belt or 10 years of experience under your belt.

Other than that, get out while you can. In the long run, you will become cynical if you work in retail. In the last 10 years, I've worked at numerous retailers, and I always believed in the retailer's BS about how much they look after you, and how they will reward you for your dedication. It took me 10 years to figure out that it is pretty much BS from a tech standpoint (you should ask any of the retailers how will they reward you as a tech, lol).

People say its hard to get a pharm job, and that is true, but why stick at a store that you hate. Before you quit, you should try to find another retailer. I will warn you though, whether you work for cvs or walgreens, they are pretty much the same. Try to get a job at walmart, target, longs, vons, or any of the smaller "pharmacy's". You will have more time to learn more about the job, vs. becoming another underpaid and overworked staff member.

P.S. I'm a cynic :)

I agree with Mr. Blah. Get your LOR and bounce. Or you could ask for an educational leave of absence. This would allow you to work during the summer or holiday breaks.