Quit your job yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there who hasn't told their employer that they'll be leaving soon! I plan an leaving the last week of June. My job relies on me heavily, but I can't bring myself to tell them I'm leaving for dental school. They have NO idea. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm leaving July 31st and I just hired two people to take over what I do. My boss is fine with it and you should see the girl I just hired.

I gave my employer one month's notice to be nice and to be able to transfer all my work to other people. My last day is May 4 and I'm giving myself time to relax and prepare for school!!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone else out there who hasn't told their employer that they'll be leaving soon! I plan an leaving the last week of June. My job relies on me heavily, but I can't bring myself to tell them I'm leaving for dental school. They have NO idea. Anyone else?

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm planning to leave at the beginning of June, and I am dreading telling my boss because she is awesome and I have a huge amount of responsibility. The job has nothing to do with dentistry and they have had no clue.

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm planning to leave at the beginning of June, and I am dreading telling my boss because she is awesome and I have a huge amount of responsibility. The job has nothing to do with dentistry and they have had no clue.

Yup! That's exactly my situation! I have a great boss so I feel VERY guilty. What's worse is that I get my raise and bonus this week, so waiting to tell him until after I get my bonus!

The job has nothing to do with dentistry and they have had no clue.

Ha! I thought, "That sounds like my job!"
Then I realized you mean, "they have no clue *that you are leaving for dental school.*"

I already gave a date, which is 10 days before school starts, but now I wish I would have given myself a larger break.

I need to move out of one place, into another (packing everything and unpacking it will take forever because my wife is a pack rat), and I wanted to spend a few days messing around in New Braunfels tubing in the river and going to a water park.

I'm seriously considering moving my last day up or just taking vacation for my last week. My plan was to stop and then get paid for a week after I was gone with my unused vacation.

what do you do?

I'm leaving July 31st and I just hired two people to take over what I do. My boss is fine with it and you should see the girl I just hired.

what do you do?

I actually do two jobs (hence the two people). I am the sole person in charge of accounts receivable for a $8-10M a year company. I am also solely in charge of new business recruitment (i.e. outside sales). I visit various companies and get them to refer business to us. The company I work for does water & fire damage restoration. Basically, if someone's house floods out, we come in and dry it out then restore it back to normal. The same for if it burns down. Sad thing is I probably make more now than I will when I first get out of dental school. :(

I actually do two jobs (hence the two people). I am the sole person in charge of accounts receivable for a $8-10M a year company. I am also solely in charge of new business recruitment (i.e. outside sales). I visit various companies and get them to refer business to us. The company I work for does water & fire damage restoration. Basically, if someone's house floods out, we come in and dry it out then restore it back to normal. The same for if it burns down. Sad thing is I probably make more now than I will when I first get out of dental school. :(

Me too.

Sad thing is I probably make more now than I will when I first get out of dental school.

I'm glad that I don't have that problem. It makes the decision to quit so much easier. Even at the low end of first year salaries, I'd be doubling my current salary in my first year out of dental school.

I plan on quitting probably about...the day before I move. Mainly b/c my parents own the place and I can basicallly do any damn thing I want :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on quitting probably about...the day before I move. Mainly b/c my parents own the place and I can basicallly do any damn thing I want :laugh:

I'm in about the same boat. Pops is the GM at the plant I work at. I'll probably bounce in a couple weeks though so I have a little downtime/vaca before knuckling down in Dschool. Being the "boss's kid" ain't bad; as long as you dont' mind the occasional animosity on the floor :rolleyes:

I'm leaving in mid May to move and do a summer research program at the dental school. I feel bad because I am leaving earlier than I thought, but you've got to do what's best for you. My boss knew I would only be around for about a year.

I am quitting June 29th, and school starts the following Monday the second of July. During my two day break I've also got to close on our house, and move in. I am not stressed at all.

I'm leaving mine at the end of July, about 10 days before school starts, and am still trying to decide how much notice to give. Will probably give them 6 weeks, but am considering two months.

My job has known I would be leaving since about 2 months ago. My last day will be June 15th and then I have to move to SF... I am dreading going back to the student budget!

I am quitting June 29th, and school starts the following Monday the second of July. During my two day break I've also got to close on our house, and move in. I am not stressed at all.

I think I can top that. I'm quitting end of June, getting married 2nd weekend of July, going to New Zealand for 2 weeks, coming back to LA, backing, flying to NYC, hopefully I'll find an apartment, flying back to LA, moving my husband to his new LA apartment, which we haven't found yet, packing a uhaul and driving my a$$ across country to start school 3rd week of August.

I gave my notice today! I've been in a management development program at a huge financial company for the past 2 years since college, so dental school seemed to come completely out of left field. They took it really well.

They said that career changes are much easier to understand than if you just leave for a competitor. Only problem is I wanted to work another month, but they're only giving me 2 weeks. Good luck to the rest of you.

I just got a gigantic raise (12%) and a very nice bonus today. I think I'll wait a few weeks before I leave.

I thiink I'll just stop showing up for work. It will probably be December before anyone notices. What a great job!

I can't wait to leave my job but I need the money =\

I'll probably be staying until mid-July

On second thought - I quit, I'm going to Dental School. Consider this my two weeks notice.

I think I can top that. I'm quitting end of June, getting married 2nd weekend of July, going to New Zealand for 2 weeks, coming back to LA, backing, flying to NYC, hopefully I'll find an apartment, flying back to LA, moving my husband to his new LA apartment, which we haven't found yet, packing a uhaul and driving my a$$ across country to start school 3rd week of August.

Nice. Why didnt you get pregnant and deliver about the same time as well. That would ice the cake.:laugh:

my last day is friday and then monday i leave for thailand for 2 months. i work in a lab and the people i work with are great, but i wanted to travel and chill before d-school started. they completely understood.

Gonna quit in late July. Going to New York right after for about a week to see Yankees game and see the town. First time going to NY, so i'm pretty excited. But first...gotta work hard for next three months to save up some money before I go to dental school. I'm thinking about going to Orlando or some place else after coming back from NY. Anyone have any suggestion or recommendation on where to travel?

I still haven't decided. I want to give my manager at least a months notice, but I have been hearing stories about people being fired early when they give notice, so I'm not sure. I'm working on selling my house, and finding a place out in Cleveland. The longer I can keep making money, the better. Of course, sanity counts for something too, right?

I actually started a part time job and they have no idea I'm leaving in Aug. Oh well.

...Going to New York right after for about a week to see Yankees game and see the town. First time going to NY, so i'm pretty excited....Anyone have any suggestion or recommendation on where to travel?

going to new york is awesome. yankees game? even better! i don't know if this is feasible for you after ny, but you know what ive always wanted to do? -- tour as much of the country as i can by train. starting from ny, you can travel all the way down the atlantic coast, hopping off at cities like dc and boston, all the way down to miami. or you can travel towards chicago, then ride the rails all the way to the pacific northwest, seeing those beautiful states like montana and wyoming on your way. a trip like this would've be doubly cool if you could convince a good friend to go along.

my last day is friday and then monday i leave for thailand for 2 months. ...

holy!! thailand? -- sweet! have fun