Quitting Army AEGD-1 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm currently in a 1-year AEGD program in the Army. I'm planning on getting out of the Army as soon as I'm finished with my commitment years. I thought that AEGD would be a good experience, but it's not really what I thought it would be, and it's taking a toll in my mental health. I am considering quitting if possible. What could be some possible repercussions to this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably sit down and think about this. If you are really having a tough time in AEGD perhaps you can just quit the program and continue your payback? You will still have to serve a total of 5 years though.
Quitting the army entirely can have serious financial repercussion. You could have to pay back all your scholarship money + interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is the AEGD not what you thought it was?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in a 1-year AEGD program in the Army. I'm planning on getting out of the Army as soon as I'm finished with my commitment years. I thought that AEGD would be a good experience, but it's not really what I thought it would be, and it's taking a toll in my mental health. I am considering quitting if possible. What could be some possible repercussions to this decision?
None that I can think of. The benefit of graduating is that you should be credentialed to do molar endo, crown lengthening, take out thirds, and a whole list of other procedures that a regular 63A may not get to perform. You're also eligible for the ACP, so not only will you get to get out of the exam/class 3 line but you'll also get paid more.

I can't speak for the Army but I did resign from my AEGD in the Navy branch. I ended up not getting credentialed (none of my graduating AEGD classmates got any extra anyway) for the non-core privileges mentioned by customx. You can get these later in other tours so no big deal. I also could not use that year in the AEGD as part of my obligation. So my obligation end date is the same and I basically wasted a year of my life.