Quiz of the day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In what field of pathology do the most recognizable names practice in?

Who is the most famous American pathologist of the 20th Century?

Members don't see this ad.

LADoc00 said:
In what field of pathology do the most recognizable names practice in?

Who is the most famous American pathologist of the 20th Century?
1. TV.
2. Toss up: Quincy Vs Kevorkian.

Prize please.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
Dude, you so win. Gotta be Kevorkian.

Hey, you know OR has assisted suicide laws in practice now?

These questions were merely to make people put surg path in perspective because to the community at large people like Sharon Wiess and Chris Fletcher are unknowns.

Although Kervorkian is well known name especially in the 90s, Thomas Noguchi, ME of Los Angeles County owned the headlines for the 70s and early 80s having done numerous famous autposies including Marylin Monroe, Belushi and Rob Kennedy. By far, Forensic Pathology is the most recognizable aspect of path yet for academics, is the most despised. It is also the lowest paid pathology subspeciality.

Noguchi, Professor of Pathology, USC
noguchi2.JPG

bananaface said:
I bet if you go to your local senior center no one recognizes his name.

Actually Noguchi wrote a NY Times bestseller with a higher circulation than all academic pathology books ever printed, combined.

BUT, Jack Kervorkian IS the most (in)famous graduate of the Unversity of Michigan (1952 graduated from the University of Michigan Medical School).

Go Wolverines Pathology!
The motto of Wolverine Autopsy Service: Not dead yet, Not a problem!

LADoc00 said:
Actually Noguchi wrote a NY Times bestseller with a higher circulation than all academic pathology books ever printed, combined.

BUT, Jack Kervorkian IS the most (in)famous graduate of the Unversity of Michigan (1952 graduated from the University of Michigan Medical School).

Go Wolverines Pathology!

My vote goes to the CSI guy............Robert David Hall... :laugh:

Attachments

• robbins.jpg
    robbins.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 47
LADoc00 said:

Go Wolverines Pathology!
Yah sure. And we all know that books are the primary US media source. :rolleyes:

LADoc00 said:

Go Wolverines Pathology!

On all the med school tours they always stop to point out his picture to all the interview candidates. Apparently there is also a serial killer who graduated in the early 20th century, but I don't remember his name.

But yes, for a large portion of the general public, pathology=forensics. And a pathologist is someone who does autopsies.

But here at UM, we do offer autopsy consults to the clinical floors. A pre-autopsy workup, so to speak. The patients are often not very cooperative with us.

yaah said:
On all the med school tours they always stop to point out his picture to all the interview candidates. Apparently there is also a serial killer who graduated in the early 20th century, but I don't remember his name.

But yes, for a large portion of the general public, pathology=forensics. And a pathologist is someone who does autopsies.

But here at UM, we do offer autopsy consults to the clinical floors. A pre-autopsy workup, so to speak. The patients are often not very cooperative with us.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Yaah are you planning to help us out with the coming baby boomer aging problem?

(Attending walks into Yaah's UM autposy suite as he hacking away at a clothed body with 2 butcher knives...)
Attending: Whered you get that body?
Yaah: Outside.
Attending: Outside my door? But that was a med student I was supposed to interview! He was just taking a nap.
Yaah: Yeah? Well, you snooze, you lose. Muhahahahaha.

Yeah, if anybody, the general public knows people like Noguchi, Halpern, Wecht (the JFK Magic Bullet Guy), or perhaps Rodriguez - not a pathologist, but did his Ph.D. on "The Body Farm", trying to get a better time-of-death fix based on recently deceased grunts...

Discussed Famous Living Pathologists the other day with a colleague. Probably Juan Rosai (not American, but Argentinian, currently in Milan - go figure). Peter Paul Rosen probably also high on the list, and I think even non-dermpaths can agree that Bernie Ackerman is up there. But other than that? Hmm. Nobody ready for a Star on Hollywood Blvd., methinks.

I would say Surgical Pathologists are most well know wity Arthur Purdy Stout being the most famous American Pathologist of the 20th Century.

However, there are some legendary figures in the fields of Micro and Transfusion medicine.

Let's face it the general public (and a suprising number of physicians) don't consider us real MDs and have no idea what we do.

tsj said:
I would say Surgical Pathologists are most well know wity Arthur Purdy Stout being the most famous American Pathologist of the 20th Century.

However, there are some legendary figures in the fields of Micro and Transfusion medicine.

Let's face it the general public (and a suprising number of physicians) don't consider us real MDs and have no idea what we do.

You have NO idea how many times I have told chicks at bars with a straight face that Im a orthopedic surgeon, its alot, I lost track. :laugh:

That talking-head Micheal Baden is always on tv running his mouth about the topic o' the day.

Yes, but pathologists, or at least forensic pathologists, also know that Michael Baden was fired as Chief Medical Examiner. And for once, it wasn't just the customary political sacrifice. He's not exactly a luminary of the forensic path world...