Quoted: Accepted with a dilemma

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted at a US allopathic medical school. This fall semester I had to withdraw from 3 of my classes (one being a 1 unit seminar) and take incompletes in 3 others because I am bipolar and it was affecting my performance. I was unmedicated at the time, but have been on medication for the past 6 weeks and am doing much better. I expect to finish my three incomplete classes with reasonable grades (Bs/As). On my acceptance letter it says "A deterioration in my academic performance, i.e., including but not limited to withdrawal from school, withdrawal from courses listed on my academic record... will result in a review of my application and most likely forfeiture of my position."

Like I said, when they get my final transcript I will have 3 Ws this semester. My grades should appear as normal in my incomplete classes. None of these classes are prematriculation requirements and I am expecting to graduate on time. What is the best way to go about explaining this, keeping in mind my "don't ask, don't tell" condition. My mother suggested saying that I went to be with her because she was gravely ill (she lives out of state with no other relatives nearby). Is this feasible?

I personally recommend calling the Dean for Admissions and having an honest conversation about what happened. I certainly don't recommend lying. In speaking with the Dean, I would not provide medical details that are unneeded, but would simply indicate that you had a health problem requiring treatment and that the situation has been resolved.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice. I was just worried that when I brought it up it would raise a red flag. The problem is that before I became premed, my record was pretty spotty, but since switching, it's been immaculate. Another question I have is how long should I wait before I call? I still have many pending interviews in the coming weeks and am likely to get another acceptance somewhere. Should I wait till I am positive which school I am attending? Hopefully by then I can have next semester's grades to vouch for my recovery. Or does this need to be done ASAP?

This is a tough question. I would suggest calling once you have final grades for these classes, but I'm not sure there is an obvious answer.