Quoted: History of depression and residency licensure

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted anonymously for an SDN user

I'm a fourth year med student who just matched. I received an application for my temporary medical license that has this question - "Have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental or physical illness or condition that has hindered or might hinder your ability to practice medicine?"

I have had multiple bouts of depression over the past 10 years. I have been successfully treated with meds and therapy each time, and have never been hospitalized. I feel fine now. If I do answer "yes" to this question, I need to provide a notarized explanation. I'm not even sure what I would say. Who sees these applications? Would this on my record potentially affect my job or my ability to get a job in the future? Could this be a problem if I'm sued?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a physician now who knows about your history or who has treated you in the past - I would discuss this question with them. I'm guessing they would advise you to answer no, since you say you have always been successfully treated and particularly if you have good insight and have always sought help in timely fashion and your history has not significantly interfered with your academic performance/clinical rotations in medical school. That way you can answer no - and if it ever became an issue - which seems unlikely, you know you have a doctor who can back you up.

The question asks about impairment - not diagnosis - so just having a history in and of itself does not require you to answer yes.

Having a history of depression should not be an impediment to practicing medicine, especially if it has been successfully treated. I recommend that you answer "No" with confidence.

Posted anonymously for an SDN member, not the OP

I'm curious about this too. My physical forms for med school ask me if I've ever had any emotional problem that I received therapy for. I have, and I plan to continue working w/my therapist at least through my transition into medical school. However, I don't want depression to be some blemish on my record that will follow me throughout my career.

I felt like I could lie by omission, just not mention the mental health side of things on the exam form, but it explicitly asks so I feel like I should be honest. Does anyone know what they want that information for, or what could happen if I do say that I'm in therapy?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the poster did not ask that this be posted anonymously, I have chosen to do so. This is not from the OP, but another member

I tried to be honest about my depression. I was halfway through my residency when issues in my personal life caused me to seek professional help, with a few of my closest attendings aware and supportive. When I felt myself getting worse, I tried to self-report and take a medical leave of absence. It was initially denied with my Program leadership at the time stating that I could lose my job if I did, but I pushed the issue as I did not want to become impaired. I had no work related incidents and my evaluations remained good to excellent. I took 3 months off and returned with clearance to work from my psychiatrist and my general practitioner. I was told by hospital administration that I will need an independent medical examination(which I passed with a recommendation that I could work without restrictions) and that my case had to be reported to the state medical board(who reviewed my file and agreed with my doctors that as long as I continued treatment, I could work and would not even have to report my illness on licensure applications). This whole process lasted an additional 8 months wherein I was promised I could return as soon as this report comes in or that report comes in, in they end, the administration flatly told me that they viewed the nature of my illness as a liability. I'm weighing the extent to which I would want to litigate while looking into other residencies. But, the stigma after all this makes me worry that it will be difficult. Does anyone know how receptive residencies are when they accept another resident from a program that refused to allow them to continue after a medical leave for depression?

Posted anonymously for an SDN user

I'm a fourth year med student who just matched. I received an application for my temporary medical license that has this question - "Have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental or physical illness or condition that has hindered or might hinder your ability to practice medicine?"

I have had multiple bouts of depression over the past 10 years. I have been successfully treated with meds and therapy each time, and have never been hospitalized. I feel fine now. If I do answer "yes" to this question, I need to provide a notarized explanation. I'm not even sure what I would say. Who sees these applications? Would this on my record potentially affect my job or my ability to get a job in the future? Could this be a problem if I'm sued?

I think the question is really asking if you have ever been an impaired medical student. I think they are looking at your risk of becoming an impaired physician.

Since it sounds like your depression has been well controlled with no episodes of impairment I would answer as "I have never been impaired in anyway" or "No I have never been diagnosed with an illness that has hindered my ability to practice medicine." Despite the fact that you have been diagnosed w/ a mental illness, it has not hindered your ability to perform (at least I am gathering this from your post)

To answer your question about taking a leave of absence in residency...I know that in all states there is a physicians health program...it varies from state to state as to whether this organization is a safe haven or not, e.g. when you apply for licensing whether you need to disclose whether there is a ho mental problems. USually these physician health programs work in conjunction with the state board...from my experience depression without impairment is less of a liability than say drug dependence. Regardless that does not ensure you a job at the end of this and if you seek mental health assistance you must go through your state's physician health program...if you see a private practitioner on your own then you are more open to liability...i say all of this from experience. Email me directly if you have any questions