Quoted: Please help

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to help me out with this sticky issue.

It took me a long time to decide that i wanted to go to medical school, mostly because i grew up in a medical family and i know how hard it can be. I started college in southern louisiana about an hour away from home in New Orleans. During my junior year i started having some health problems that were making it very difficult to keep up with my class load. As per my physicians instructions i withdrew from the semester to take some time off. Then hurricane Katrina hit. I tried to restart my course work and had some trouble with my grades. The hardest part being that my health problems have yet to be fully "diagnosed" they think it is something auto-immune. The biggest problem is that i had one doctor who barely talked to me and told me that i have "fibromyalgia" which most physicians don't believe is a legitamate disease. As such, i have difficulty accepting it as a diagnosis myself.

With all that said, I took the MCAT in June and got a 31P. I have been working as a Standardized Patient for 3 years teaching (and testing) medical students. I have 2 years of research experience and good LOR's.

My questions are:
1. How do i adress being sick without sounding like i am trying to make excuses.
2. My grades dropped late in my school career, i know that doesn't bode well but i feel i have good reasons. How should i approach the application process. Should i even try? There is nothing i want more.

With regard to the first question, the key is always to explain the situation clearly, simply and without unneeded details. Provide only as much medical information as you feel comfortable with. I recommend leaving out comments such as any uncertainty you have about your medical condition. Focus the application as always on the positives in your application.

The second question is a "what are my chances" question and we can't answer that in any of the mentoring forums.

Members don't see this ad.