Quoted: Previous matriculation

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a first-year student subsequently withdrew in good academic standing from an allopathic medical school that had just experienced a major natural catastrophe, how would this affect future applications to other schools (i.e. blacklisted)? Would it be appropriate to disclose said school's fallout and/or any unpublicized dirty details in an explanation of previous matriculation? Finally, should this matter also be addressed in the personal statement?

There is too much missing from this question for me to give a complete answer, but I'll try to make some comments for you. In general, detailed explanation must be provided by a student who has left medical school to enter another medical school, regardless of the reason. These applications may be handled very differently even if they are for admission to the first year class. Whether you provide this explanation in your PS or in a separate letter is up to you. I would write to each school you are applying and ask if they wish a special letter about this situation. In general, I would not use your entire PS about the past. Use most of your PS to explain where you currently "are" and what your goals are for the future.

Now then, the key is "how" you present what happened. If you present them as "dirty details" or in an acusatory tone, you are unlikely to win friends. Make a tremendous effort to avoid any accusations in your application. Try to focus on the concept of how difficult a situation it was and that you needed to leave but are now ready to come back to medicine. In the interview, you can be a bit more forthcoming, but try to avoid expressing too much bitterness, even if you feel strongly that it is deserved.

If possible, have a faculty member provide some details about what happened. It is especially crucial that a faculty member somewhere can comment about you "currently". That you are prepared for medical school and would be likely to do a good job.

Members don't see this ad.