QUOTED: Residency Applicant with a unique situation

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that I can get some unbiased insight/advice into my situation. I am applying to residency in primary care (25 programs-community and university based) and have two different issues and a few questions concerning each.

First, I did not pass Step 1 on my first two attempts. I was about 5 points within passing each time. On the third attempt I passed with 205. I passed Step 2 CK on the first attempt with 204. There are many reasons why I didn't do well the first two times I took Step 1 (mainly family issues/illness, anxiety, poor evaluation of study methods). I know that this will come up during my residency interviews. I am unsure of how to answer the questions without sounding like I am trying to make excuses. I wonder if my chances of getting a residency position are ruined...

Second, my husband and I tried for the somewhat coveted 4th year baby. We conceived in July and are due in April. I plan to schedule most of my interviews during Dec and Jan. I will be in the end of my second/beginning of my third trimester. We all know it is illegal to ask about family planning and other personal information but I am sure this will come up during my interviews. I feel like I am the only person on the planet who has/ever will interview pregnant. How should I answer questions about my pregnancy should they arise? Will this be another hinderance to me securing a residency position?

Thank you so much for your insight, advice, opinions, etc.

First of all, your situation is not unique. Many students interview pregnant, and some fail the USMLE. In any case, neither issue will be an insurmountable problem.

As far as the USMLE's are concerned, the fact that you passed Step 2 with a solid score on the first try lends credence to the idea that you had "bad days" with your Step 1 scores and that you have fixed whatever the problem was with your poor showing on Step 1. It may eliminate you from consideration from some univeristy programs, but some will consider ranking you lower on their lists. Primary Care is not competitive, and you will almost certainly find a spot somewhere. 25 programs is a good start -- plan on doing 12 interviews and ranking 10-12 programs.

As far as your pregnancy is concerned, there are not many concerns. You will deliver well before July 1st, and your start will be delayed only by a month or so. If you deliver a bit early and decide to have a short maternity leave, then you could even start on time. IN any case, you will need to discuss this with PD's as the match is binding to start work on July 1st, which you may not be able to do. This is no big deal for an extra month -- PD's will simply schedule you to start in Block 2, no problem with enough notice.

Members don't see this ad.