R.T. (R) to MD? Tips & Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonfozzel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be a registered radiologic technologist in late 2016. I did not perform well early in high school < 2 GPA, but rebounded in my junior year after realizing I wanted to research medical radiology; I ended up graduating with Maryland honors (> 3.25 GPA combined 4 years). I decided immediately to take prerequisite courses (for an RT program) at local community colleges. I got A's every semester and sporadic B's. I had one unfortunate semester dealing with multiple family deaths and got a C in precalc and a D in the lab portion of a 4 credit astronomy course. My prerequisite coursework (physics, A&P, english, etc) I came out with a 3.75 GPA.

I researched top radiologic technology schools as I wanted to receive a challenging, real education. I was accepted into the Johns Hopkins School of Medical Imaging this year. Two months into the program, I know for sure I want to spend the rest of my life in the radiology field.

Without giving you my whole life story, I now aspire to become a radiologist, which first requires medical school. When I receive my R.T(R) in 2016, I will have a A.A.S. degree in radiologic technology. The imaging program I'm attending has an articulation agreement with my local CC to transfer 38 credits back to it so they can award the AAS. Now, most universities will not recognize these 38 credits for obvious reasons; however, a few local liberal arts colleges do, namely, Notre Dame of Maryland University. Supposedly, while I'm working full time as an R.T(R), I can attend NDMU nights & weekends and graduate in 2 years with a B.S. in Radiation Science. Unfortunately I would not be able to take courses like chem, IOC, bio, physics, and the works. I like this route though because it not only gives me clinical experience, it also gives me a required BS/BA degree. Im now at a loss of how I can complete MD school prereq courses. If I attended a real 4 year university these 38 creds would be lost.

My first two clinical rotations at Hopkins were 3.25 then 3.71 GPA (16 to go).

Any tips/advice would be great.

Please ask me questions if you have them!

I am 19

Bon

Members don't see this ad.

the input I can provide is: basically any course you have taken with a radiologic title (doesn't matter extension) will not count towards your science gpa. You could try categorizing it under AMCAS as science but know that it is not a surety you are carrying with you. So maybe if you want you could look at where you stand by recalculating your science gpa while you wait on more experienced sdners to add?

the input I can provide is: basically any course you have taken with a radiologic title (doesn't matter extension) will not count towards your science gpa. You could try categorizing it under AMCAS as science but know that it is not a surety you are carrying with you. So maybe if you want you could look at where you stand by recalculating your science gpa while you wait on more experienced sdners to add?
I don't really have any science courses only A&P which I got B's in both because I didn't take the recommended Bio prereq. I also took AP chem senior year of high school A/5

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, pre-reqs are pre-reqs. If you don't want to take them in undergrad due to the 38 units, then you would have to take them afterwards via post-bacc. There are a few med schools that no longer have "requirements" and only have "recommendations," but I don't know them at the top of my head.

even if some schools make it a recommendation, you're going to restrict yourself severly by only applying to them.

@bonfozzel: I would recommend you quit your program and get in line with another major that is pre-med friendly. It is your choosing because if you complete the PA program right now, you're stuck doing a post-baccalaureate to complete the pre-reqs anyways and there might be a slim chance that you'll ever get the chance to work as a PA unless you're willing to elongate your medical school journey even more. That is fine but it depends on what type of timeline you are running with.

even if some schools make it a recommendation, you're going to restrict yourself severly by only applying to them.

@bonfozzel: I would recommend you quit your program and get in line with another major that is pre-med friendly. It is your choosing because if you complete the PA program right now, you're stuck doing a post-baccalaureate to complete the pre-reqs anyways and there might be a slim chance that you'll ever get the chance to work as a PA unless you're willing to elongate your medical school journey even more. That is fine but it depends on what type of timeline you are running with.
As in PA you mean RT?

Being 19, I should have my B.S by the time I'm 22. I don't mind finishing the Bacc program then taking a year or two off to focus on prereqs and volunteer/research. This allows for optimal experience, no? Is 24/25 a bit late to apply to med school?

@phuynh94 I wasn't aware I could take post-bacc courses just to take them? Do all schools allow this?

I just did a quick google search and am finding a few "post-bacc pre-med programs"?

Anything?

Thanks to all who's replying!

I just did a quick google search and am finding a few "post-bacc pre-med programs"?

Anything?

Thanks to all who's replying!
yea sorry I meant RT. You can also take courses without enrolling into a formal postbaccalaureate program as a part-time student. In a formal program you might be allowed to take more courses? Not entirely sure on that. I know for sure though that you may not be eligible for financial aid if you do part-time.

yea sorry I meant RT. You can also take courses without enrolling into a formal postbaccalaureate program as a part-time student. In a formal program you might be allowed to take more courses? Not entirely sure on that. I know for sure though that you may not be eligible for financial aid if you do part-time.

Last edited:
As in PA you mean RT?

Being 19, I should have my B.S by the time I'm 22. I don't mind finishing the Bacc program then taking a year or two off to focus on prereqs and volunteer/research. This allows for optimal experience, no? Is 24/25 a bit late to apply to med school?

@phuynh94 I wasn't aware I could take post-bacc courses just to take them? Do all schools allow this?
AMCAS accepts (in fact requires you to report) ALL college-level courses taken, even those not for a degree.
Many, but not all, schools allow you to take their courses outside of being enrolled in a degree program. So, yes...your plan of finishing your BS and then taking the prerequisites is a viable one, though it may not be the shortest path.

Why can you not take the prereqs as a part of your BS?

Well, you'll probably have to take the pre-reqs, but at least nobody will question your clinical experience, from the sounds of it.

AMCAS accepts (in fact requires you to report) ALL college-level courses taken, even those not for a degree.
Many, but not all, schools allow you to take their courses outside of being enrolled in a degree program. So, yes...your plan of finishing your BS and then taking the prerequisites is a viable one, though it may not be the shortest path.

Why can you not take the prereqs as a part of your BS?
The BS program accepts 38 credits from the clinical program. The rest are of mandatory didactic radiology. There's no time to take 8+ 'electives'.

The BS program accepts 38 credits from the clinical program. The rest are of mandatory didactic radiology. There's no time to take 8+ 'electives'.
OK, so then here's my question: it will probably take at least 2yrs to complete the prereqs, especially if you are working while doing so and haven't taken similar courses before (I wouldn't take 4 lab courses at once right out of the gate). If you also want to add recommended courses like math, Biochem, english, etc, it's definitely at least 2yrs. Adding in the new MCAT materials, like sociology and psych...
It will take you 2yrs to finish the BS with the radiology.

That's 4yrs total for this route, with no financial aid available for the prerequisites (finaid is usually restricted to degree seeking students).

Why not give up the 38 credits (they'll show up in AMCAS anyway and help boost your gpa) and just start a fresh BS program in whatever you want to study? You will still take 4yrs, but you'll have your RT associates and a BS, with all prereqs, time to take recommended courses, more financial aid opportunity, and you won't be tied to this one school...you could apply to college like normal or find a cheaper one or one that fits your schedule so you can still work as an RT, or whatever floats your boat. You'll have a more 'traditional' set of courses, too, rather than simply occupational ones. You could get the med school prereqs out of the way early, so that you have time to prep for the MCAT before the last minute.

Just a thought. I'd bet you can still work something out to work as an RT...they need them for odd hours, weekends, etc, and you'd have summers to work as much as you'd like. I just don't see that continuing down the RT path when you know you want to change over is helpful to you long-term.