RA positions in couples counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kestrelcry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find RA positions with a researcher who focuses on couples/marital counseling. All my searches have been for naught when approached from the angle of job/internship searches. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go to look, or do I need to just approach every researcher I can find in who focuses on my interests? I have to admit to a certain trepidation in just sending unsolicited e-mails to researchers and inquiring if they need an RA. Is there something else I should be doing to find a position? Is approaching unsuspecting researchers unusual? Also, while I’m not averse to being an unpaid RA if I must, a paid position would certainly make it easier for me to get any sleep over the next year or so, particularly since I’m going to be taking classes as well. I suppose it’s terribly lazy of me to hope that I won’t have to take classes, volunteer as an RA, and work full-time, but I hope nonetheless. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Danke.

Members don't see this ad.

kestrelcry said:
I've been trying to find RA positions with a researcher who focuses on couples/marital counseling. All my searches have been for naught when approached from the angle of job/internship searches. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go to look, or do I need to just approach every researcher I can find in who focuses on my interests? I have to admit to a certain trepidation in just sending unsolicited e-mails to researchers and inquiring if they need an RA. Is there something else I should be doing to find a position? Is approaching unsuspecting researchers unusual? Also, while I’m not averse to being an unpaid RA if I must, a paid position would certainly make it easier for me to get any sleep over the next year or so, particularly since I’m going to be taking classes as well. I suppose it’s terribly lazy of me to hope that I won’t have to take classes, volunteer as an RA, and work full-time, but I hope nonetheless. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Danke.

Hmm... don't know where in Mass you are, but James Cordova is at Clark. And he just got awarded a large grant, so he may be hiring.

http://www.clarku.edu/intranet/newsdetailitem.cfm?id=775

Another person in the Boston area who you might look into is Tim O'Farrell - he does couples Tx for substance use disorders. I believe that he, too, was recently awarded a big grant.

So can I just e-mail these chaps and offer myself up as an RA even if they're not advertising? Is that an acceptable and common procedure?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's how I got summer jobs at 3 different labs ... none of these jobs were advertised. Most people don't really advertise, but they are probably likely to have you work for them. Just e-mail ... it can't hurt.

That's how I ended up getting a full-time RA job (for one of the big wigs). I completely agree with Joetro. What would be the worst that could happen? That noone gets back in touch? That someone contacts you and says that they are currently not looking for an RA? Give it a go! Good luck! :)

LM02 said:
Hmm... don't know where in Mass you are, but James Cordova is at Clark. And he just got awarded a large grant, so he may be hiring.

http://www.clarku.edu/intranet/newsdetailitem.cfm?id=775

Another person in the Boston area who you might look into is Tim O'Farrell - he does couples Tx for substance use disorders. I believe that he, too, was recently awarded a big grant.

I wanted to thank you profusely for this post. Cordova is only about an hour from me, so I wouldn't have to move, and reading his articles, I would _adore_ working with him. I've been boning up on his research, and I'm going to e-mail him. Cross your fingers for me. Oh, and if I get an RA position with him - I am _so_ buying you a drink - even if I have to send a money order to where ever you are to do so.