Rabies Vaccine Price Increase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiempo

Edinburgh 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, don't know if this is happening everywhere, but wanted to give the class of 2013 a heads-up. I was told this morning that Rabies vaccine prices are increasing, so if you haven't had your pre-exposure series done yet, you might want to hop on it and get a quote now. I've been paying $225/dose, and was told it would be going up to $300/dose, so a series increase of $225. I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but it's still money!

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, don't know if this is happening everywhere, but wanted to give the class of 2013 a heads-up. I was told this morning that Rabies vaccine prices are increasing, so if you haven't had your pre-exposure series done yet, you might want to hop on it and get a quote now. I've been paying $225/dose, and was told it would be going up to $300/dose, so a series increase of $225. I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but it's still money!

Good luck! :luck:

Sometimes the school you're going to will have a vaccine clinic where you can get it for a discount. I think we're getting it at Davis for $130 something per shot.

Can't afford it then = still can't afford it now if it goes up...

Guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and take out an extra $1000 in loans for this coming school year to get it taken care of

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the school you're going to will have a vaccine clinic where you can get it for a discount. I think we're getting it at Davis for $130 something per shot.

That's a great price! The lowest I've seen it here was $188 at the county health department, but I couldn't actually get it for that price because the health department will only give post-exposure vacc currently. I briefly considered finding an angry chipmunk to bite me...

rugbychick, I certainly sympathize with that. Everything just seems to end up being so expensive.

Guess I shouldn't have said "class of 2013". For some reason I was assuming that all classes were required to complete the series before starting in the fall, but apparently not!

I am getting mine now at $190 each. Had to get special permission, but the guy in charge in Mecklenburg County, NC was really great about it. I just explained that I work at a vet clinic and will be starting vet school in August. He said that as long as I did it SOON it should be ok but that if I waited till June/July/August the vax shortage would force him to deny the request. So I took the first one last Tuesday. I think it MIGHT be cheaper to wait till I start school, but I have vax reactions and generally feel really sick (severe flu symptoms, nausea/vomiting, and severe migrains) with most vax, so I would rather deal with that over the summer then when I need to be able to focus. I was pre-medicated, and still slept 6 additional hours on Tuesday, and felt achy yesterday. Today I am feeling pretty good, just a sore arm/shoulder. I didn't get as sick as I do with Tetanus.

My dad is an infectious disease doctor and wholesale they don't even get them that cheaply - wow!

How does that work though if you have to have them to start school? I don't live in the Davis area, so do I have to get them over the summer at home?

Wow thats really expensive! I was peeved when we had to pay $80 for q-fever!

Most uni's would subsidise it though wouldn't they? Else move to a non-rabies country :)

I briefly considered finding an angry chipmunk to bite me...

The thought crossed my mind as well, as my insurance would only cover the post-exposure shots.

For most universities, you're on your own to cover it. Because of the vaccine shortage last summer and the fact that we have little animal contact our first year, KSU didn't care if we had it before starting classes or not.

The thought crossed my mind as well, as my insurance would only cover the post-exposure shots.

For most universities, you're on your own to cover it. Because of the vaccine shortage last summer and the fact that we have little animal contact our first year, KSU didn't care if we had it before starting classes or not.

You might call you insurance again and ask if the will cover a portion if you have a directive from a doctor saying that it is medically necessary due to the risk and/or a letter from the health department saying it is necessary for your exposure level. In NC, the health dept actuall puts vets and techs in tier 2, 2nd highest level of exposure risk and says that it is medically necessary that those individuals have pre-exposure vax. The only higher tier are rabies researchers and those with continuous exposure to rabies vector species (bats, etc)

I think I read on the website that for the series Davis is like $385 with the SHIP and 685 without (for all three shots). Unfortunately my insurance is nearly identical to what SHIP offers so I'll have to pay the higher amount.

I ve just been trying to avoid it at all costs, that along with my tetnus shot. Not because of the price but I have super bad reactions to shots and usually hit the floor the minute they start to give it.

My dad is an infectious disease doctor and wholesale they don't even get them that cheaply - wow!

How does that work though if you have to have them to start school? I don't live in the Davis area, so do I have to get them over the summer at home?

I was wondering the same thing. On our welcome page they have a link to health services which eventually gets you to the rabies info and they have it up like 385 for the series if you purchase insurance 685 without their insurance. I'm wondering if those who plan to do it through the school would just start it at the beginning of the school year.

You might call you insurance again and ask if the will cover a portion if you have a directive from a doctor saying that it is medically necessary due to the risk and/or a letter from the health department saying it is necessary for your exposure level. In NC, the health dept actuall puts vets and techs in tier 2, 2nd highest level of exposure risk and says that it is medically necessary that those individuals have pre-exposure vax. The only higher tier are rabies researchers and those with continuous exposure to rabies vector species (bats, etc)

I've tried the doctor directive, and they still declined coverage because I "wasn't at direct risk" so it wasn't medically necessary. Maybe I'll try contacting the state health department this summer when I'm at home and see where I get with them.

My insurance declined it to. So unless in the next 2 weekends that I have left at my job (YAY!) I get bitten, which with the number of aggressive dogs we see (100 a day with about half wanting to take someones head off) its not all that unlikely.

Members don't see this ad :)

You don't have to have them to start school. Whatever they say, you just don't. They hold vaccine clinics. In fact, because of the shortage, we just had our last shots today. Don't sweat it...they make having it done sound way more important (to them for matriculation purposes) than it is.

I got my 1st one today for $230 at the county health dept. They said that they may charge as much as $380 each at the end of the summer. :eek: I have a 'flex' card with some $$ on it, so it's a good time to use it up before I become unemployed.

I looked it up last night on my insurance, and it will cover the Rabavert vaccine, with a $30 copay. Does anybody know which pharmaceutical company distributes Rabavert? I was just wondering how common it was.

Edit: I just found the answer to my question, Novartis produces the vaccine.

I've heard a couple stories of people who felt pretty crappy from the rabies vaccine - did anyone else experience this? I am kind of nervous about it now. Someone also said it might depend on the brand - does that make any sense?

I had rabavert and wasnt affected by any of my 3 vaccines.

I've heard a couple stories of people who felt pretty crappy from the rabies vaccine - did anyone else experience this? I am kind of nervous about it now. Someone also said it might depend on the brand - does that make any sense?

I hear ya! Knowing that a 'lot' of people have side effects to rabies vaccine, and knowing what the symptoms are, it's really hard not to think about it. I have almost just accepted the fact that I'm going to have a reaction (whether it be an actual physiological reaction due to the Vx or due to my brain--the powers of the placebo effect are quite fascinating)!

I don't generally have issues with vaccines, certainly none that I can recall or that I would have associated with a vaccine (and I've had a lot of vaccinations...). After my second rabies vax (have yet to get my third), I felt like C-R-A-P that night. Did not even connect the feeling with that day's vax until a couple of hours into the evening when I suddenly realized I'd had my second round earlier in the day. Felt like crap warmed over. Joint pain, fever, generalized <blech>. Not really looking forward to the third.

However, just because somebody else has a reaction, certainly doesn't mean you will! Most people don't, and certainly not significant reactions. Vaguely related by way of the not-everyone-reacts-the-same tangent, I know some people have said it is a painful vaccine, but I certainly have had no issues with it being painful, so hopefully you'll have no issues with either pain or reaction of any sort.

Don't worry - even if you have a significant problem, it probably won't be until after your second! :D (is that helpful?)

I did have a reaction, but I routinely react to vaccines. The first one was painless, and I was fine for the first couple of hours (I was also pre-medicated) and then I slowly just felt like I had a flu. It was worse on day 2, but better on day 3 and back to normal on day 4. So, I slept through most of day 1 & 2 (intentionally.) I was nauseated, ran a fever, achy and stiff joints, heat sensation in my shoulder that spread through my torso, very sore arm, and sore neck.

The 2nd one (also pre-medicated) was faster. Same symptoms (but no vomiting) but the evening of day 1 was the worse, day 2 wasn't great, but better than day 1, and day 3 was completly normal. The fever was worse the second time. I slept with cooling packs. Oh, the second one hurt like crazy going in, but I think the nurse wasn't as skilled. I think she may have injected to high and to 'inwards' on the arm, which put it practically into my shoulder, and it hurt during and like crazy for the next couple of hours.

Oh, on day 3 I had a rash/itchy sensation on the upper arm around the injection site.

That said, at the clinic I work at, most people didn't have a reaction other than a sore arm. I also react to MMR Tdap.

Edit: I just found the answer to my question, Novartis produces the vaccine.

You are lucky - Novartis apparently is readily accessible now. It's the other manufacturer (forget the name) that has the shortage.

I went round and round and round and round with the unbelievably short-sighted health department in wonderful Clark County, Nevada. I was told that i was not a high enough risk and they would not give it to me. This was after they told me they had 6 injections left that were going to expire in a couple of months. So, unless two people who were going bat hunting showed up for a vaccination, they would go to waste. :boom:

And it's a mystery why the state is broke and the education system is last in the US??? :confused:

anyways, through my research, I called Novartis and was told directly by them that a provider could order it today (like a month ago) and it would arrive the next day.

Like someone else said though, you most likely can get it at school. I was told to have mine or i could not matriculate. When i called to explain how i had made 20 phone calls and was having difficulties, they said, 'oh don't worry about it, you don't need it until 3rd year anyways and you can get it here' :wtf:

Better luck to you :luck:

That sucks for you guys. My shots are free because I told the immunization clinic I'm off to vet school. I just have to pay a $48 administration fee.

Yay for universal healthcare!

You don't have to have them to start school. Whatever they say, you just don't. They hold vaccine clinics. In fact, because of the shortage, we just had our last shots today. Don't sweat it...they make having it done sound way more important (to them for matriculation purposes) than it is.

Thanks for the tip, VAgirl! Good to know... :D

I've been pretty much putting off all of my health care needs until school starts :hungover:. Ahhh... It will be good to have health insurance again. Do you know if UC Davis's SHIP includes dental coverage too?

Thanks for the tip, VAgirl! Good to know... :D

I've been pretty much putting off all of my health care needs until school starts :hungover:. Ahhh... It will be good to have health insurance again. Do you know if UC Davis's SHIP includes dental coverage too?

It does. Now I just have to figure out how to use it...Delta dental, I think. Hard to make appointments around school. :)

(whether it be an actual physiological reaction due to the Vx or due to my brain--the powers of the placebo effect are quite fascinating)!

When I got my first shot - I fainted. I couldn't believe I was such a baby! I think I wasn't expecting it to hurt so much - to me it was much worse than other vaccines. Other than feeling a little crappy and embarrassed the rest of that day, I haven't had any problems with the 3 shots. The nurse told me they are "much better about side effects" than they used to be.

I am getting shot #1 in 10 min. *whimper!*:scared::scared:

1st shot, no problems,
2nd shot, slight nausea, just felt tired all day

3rd shot??? TBA

I am getting shot #1 in 10 min. *whimper!*:scared::scared:

Sorry I didn't want to scare you! I hope it was okay! I just wanted to warn you, because I think my problem was that I wasn't prepared. Even though I was extra nervous for the second two, I think the fact that I KNEW what I was in for made it okay and I didn't faint! And they weren't really THAT bad, just worse than I was expecting at first.

I didn't have any problems with them. Which was great (and surprising since everything makes me nauseous).

I didn't have any problems with them. Which was great (and surprising since everything makes me nauseous).

Ugh. me too.
Ok, so now that I know this, I have to ask you... how did you do in anatomy lab 1st quarter? Formaldehyde tends to make me feel a little bit like.... :barf:

Ugh. me too.
Ok, so now that I know this, I have to ask you... how did you do in anatomy lab 1st quarter? Formaldehyde tends to make me feel a little bit like.... :barf:

There isn't much formalin smell, really. Some days the refrigerated room where the cadavers are kept is really chemically, but the room as a whole has good ventilation. But I might not be the best person to ask. I guess I lied because formalin doesn't bother me. (Unless I'm inhaling straight fumes, but I really try to never do that...:p)

I am starting a new job at a low cost spay-neuter clinic next week. My employment contract states that I am required to get a rabies vaccine (series of 3 shots) and tetanus vaccine. Fortunately, this is at the expense of the clinic, but I was wondering what the protocol is for those who have already been vaccinated against rabies. I received the series of 3 shots in 2002 in order to work at a small animal emergency clinic. From what I've read, it seems people get a titer once every 2 years to check their antibody levels. I have never gotten a titer since I only worked there a few years so I have no idea where I stand. I don't expect my levels to be high as it has been 7 years since I was vaccinated, but I was wondering what actions are taken when your titer shows insufficient levels. Do you have to receive the series of 3 again, or is 1 booster enough to do the trick? The contract states that you must provide proof that you've been vaccinated within 5 years if you wish to be exempt. It's not the end of the world if I have to get the full series again, but I'll consider getting a titer if it can be followed up with one booster shot. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If the titer is fine then its just a 1 shot booster.

Yikes, that does not sound fun! Does anyone know how long the rabies series counts for? If I get into Vet school I would be matriculating Fall 2010. If prices increase I minus well get the series done now since if I want to work with the bats at the Zoo I need them anyways.

Sumstorm you are correct. My titers this year were still up above the acceptable range, so I did not need a booster through my job.

Of cuorse, if your employment is not paying for it, alot of times people we talk with at my work find it cheaper to go out and get the booster rather than paying for the bloodwork, but again, that depends on your medical/insurance/employment situation.

On a side note, I had my shots done in 2003 and I am still g2g as far as titers are concerned. I also work with people who have had their shots approximately 10 years ago and they are still g2g. Then again, I have also know people whose shots are only good for a couple of years, so it varies by the individual.

So in theory, if I provide the documentation to show that I've already had the series of 3 shots, I should be able to just get a booster shot on the company and not worry about paying for a titer out of pocket?

So in theory, if I provide the documentation to show that I've already had the series of 3 shots, I should be able to just get a booster shot on the company and not worry about paying for a titer out of pocket?

If your company is ok with that then double check with your doctor or whoever administers the shot. I was just stating that is what most of our local USDA wildlife biologists and animal control officers do because either their employers would rather pay roughly 200 dollars for a shot than paying out almost 2x that for a titer or because their employers are not paying for it and they find it cheaper to do so. I am sorry, I don't know the exact cost of the titer since I don't pay for mine my job does.

Would this be sufficient for the vet schools . .?? Biologically speaking and in theory it should be but I would check first with them and with your doctor.

Sorry, I don't want to be misconstrued as giving medical advice . . . .and hope it didn't sound like that . . was just saying that it might be a cheaper way! Good luck!

Didn't sound like medical advice at all, sorry! Thank you for your feedback. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I might expect to hear from my future employer. I will contact them tomorrow and get specifics, but I wanted a little background info first in case they gave me options. Thanks again!

Has anyone gotten their rabies series in Colorado yet? I know I could call the health center at the school to get a quote from them, but has anyone found any super fantastic deals to get theirs here?

Recently we had a cat presented to the clinic that I work at that was seizuring, and the owner literally walks in the door and throws me this cat in a towel. I brought it into the back, we stabilized it, and when we went to talk to the owner, she informed us that the cat was UTD on vaccines, but the 'other vet' she went to at another clinic thought it might have rabies, and then she proceeded to list the symptoms that the cat has, which all point to, among other things, rabies. Turns out the owner didn't realize that the 5 year old cat, which is indoors-outdoors, needed more than the first kitten vaccine, which doesn't even INCLUDE rabies. I look down at my hand, and it's bleeding everywhere from scratches while treating the cat, and considering there was cat saliva everywhere, I made my way to my Doctor's.

I am now making my way through the very long process of post-exposure vaccination...And it is NOT fun...Each of the vaccines isn't as bad as I have been told, but they are no walk in the park...There are 5 IM deltoid vaccines (Day 1, 3, 7, 14, 28) and one 10ml vaccine that goes in the 'big muscle'...yes, there :eek:. THAT one hurt, and took over a minute to inject...I had to sit on an angle for the next few days :p...On the plus side though, I'm getting the vaccines out of the way early :).

:luck:Good luck to everyone who is in the process of the pre exposure series...And just be thankful you can sit afterwards :p:)

Ouch. That super sucks Pawprints. Peoples' ******ation constantly amazes me.