Rad Onc Programs in the South?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

copperfrog

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm new here and looking for some input on those familiar with programs in the Southeast region -

I'm an M3 planning on applying to rad onc, with great clinical grades but a really lousy step 1 score, and am trying to plan my away rotations at programs that will still possibly be within reach. I will have some good, productive research by the time I apply - have several projects I've been working on and am taking a research year next year - and come from a top 25 med school in the South with a great Rad Onc department that I've been really involved in. My ultimate first choice would be to stay here, but I know that's likely not an option. Second choice is to stay in the South, but really I will go anywhere if it means I can be in this field. I'm from Indiana and my advisor suggested I do an away there even though I have no desire to go back to Midwest because my chances are better there.

Any input on some low-mid tier Southern programs that might be worth considering for doing an away? It seems like many of the smaller programs here only have 1 spot available. Would it be a better idea to just go back to the Midwest for my aways?

A last question - anyone know anything about Duke in particular? Would it be alright to do a rotation there if I also did one or two at a lower tier school, or simply a waste of time?

Any input appreciated!
 
South Carolina and VCU come to mind as programs in that area that MIGHT overlook a low step 1.

Truthfully, I'd take step 2 early and concentrate my aways at lower tier programs not in that area if you're dead-set on Radonc.
 
Mississippi and Oklahoma have programs that are new and may overlook Step 1 score. Maybe UAB? But that has a pretty good reputation. Galveston also comes to mind.
S
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
South Carolina and VCU come to mind as programs in that area that MIGHT overlook a low step 1.

Truthfully, I'd take step 2 early and concentrate my aways at lower tier programs not in that area if you're dead-set on Radonc.
Yes- forgot to add that i am taking a month off this Summer to take Step 2 and do it right. I know that will be very important.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Good to see MUSC brought up as that is one I was thinking about. Any reason in particular I should do my always outside of this region? I was under the impression that the South and Midwest were less desirable areas for applicants in general?
 
Does anyone know if Vanderbilt has become more MD friendly after changing chairmen? I have always read in this forum that they tend to favor MD/PhD's.
 
At Vanderbilt we look at the overall application (grades, Step scores, research productivity, letters of recommendation, etc) so there is no particular bias towards MD versus MD/PhD.