Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They stole the ABR's logo.

I imagine it's just a parody account or someone squatting on a domain name or something.

Domain registered January 2019.
Newsletter called 'The Photon' (ABR's newsletter = The Beam)
Wholesale reproduction of the logo including font and color scheme.
Overall: 9/10.
Well played.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
This guy Matt Spraker gets it - SDN really does have that much power. We predicted these issues years in advance, that’s the power of the internet, everything is open to criticism as it should be. We didn’t fear questioning why the field Increased resident numbers from 150 to >200 and yet somehow we are unhappy attendings and few med students? He seems like a pretty funny man. We saved the field from itself

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can see it now!

MD Locums needed for rural site in central Midwest
* Must have MD and be Board Certified
* Must have cell phone with either Facetime or Hangouts installed so that they can remotely check contours, plans, IGRT, new starts, and rashes
* Must be willing to dress professionally from the waist up

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I almost never get recruiter e-mails, as opposed to my wife in another specialty who gets them CONSTANTLY, but today I got one looking for a part-time rad onc in the rural midwest an hour from the nearest other towns.

I thought this would be perfect for the remote job Gfunk described, though they require HDR and SRS coverage.

This guy Matt Spraker gets it - SDN really does have that much power. We predicted these issues years in advance, that’s the power of the internet, everything is open to criticism as it should be. We didn’t fear questioning why the field Increased resident numbers from 150 to >200 and yet somehow we are unhappy attendings and few med students? He seems like a pretty funny man. We saved the field from itself
Haven't seen too many of his tweets. Any links?

I think this is the tweet that was referred too.

Not sure he really gets it. SDN doesn't have that much power. Truth and logic do.

SDN certainly was the platform for all of us out in the real world to collectively put the pieces together while the academic folks had their collective heads in the sand though, and SDN did exactly what it was supposed to for the good for medical students everywhere

Last edited:
After reading this, I've come to the conclusion that Evan Thomas is also a suck up lol

Perfect example of a resident willing to sell his dignity for a 1% chance of career advancement. Fortunately, there are other residents ont there who have a spine.

Reactions: 4 users
After reading this, I've come to the conclusion that Evan Thomas is also a suck up lol

Eh, I'm not sure. Just because somebody disagrees with you or agrees with your enemy does not mean they are a suck up.

I mean sure Choudhary and Goodman are residents fighting the good fight, IMO, but just because there is a resident I disagree with on twitter, that doesn't make them a suckup IMO.

Regardless, let's try to focus on the content of the posts, not character attacks on the people who are making the posts.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
suggest checking out the path boards. There are still some who think nothing is wrong with the field despite fellowship situation and that a small minority are us medical grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
1572920765405.png

The series of Tweets by Dave Fuller are just...masterpieces.

RadOnc Manchurian Candidates? 10/10 fire.

• Haha
I know docs love to revel in it when docs of other specialities get hit with reimbursement decreases, but... that exactly what they want. They want us fighting like pigs in slop for our spot at the artificially limited trough, our piece of the pie. Any reimbursement decrease to any of our physician brethren (even if it increases our own) should be viewed as an attack on us all. It’s just a classic divide and conquer move.

“You seek up a big monster for him to fight your wars for you. But when he finds his way to you, the devil’s not going.”

Reactions: 6 users
E/M should go up, but the fact that it's a zero sum game is the issue here, and Congress is the issue behind that.

Everybody but doctors preys on the fact that doctors will do what is best for the patients.

Reactions: 3 users
the fact that it's a zero sum game is the issue here
Yes. It was genius of congress to do this. It constantly pits doc vs doc, specialty vs specialty, society vs society, PAC vs PAC, so we never have a unified voice.

Last edited:
Perfect example of a resident willing to sell his dignity for a 1% chance of career advancement. Fortunately, there are other residents ont there who have a spine.

Anyone else think this sniping of non-anonymous twitter colleagues is rising to the level of cyber bullying?

Not a good look when you say things like this about people but refuse to make an identifiable twitter account of your own and post what you think. Kind of cowardly actually

• Haha
Anyone else think this sniping of non-anonymous twitter colleagues is rising to the level of cyber bullying?

Not a good look when you say things like this about people but refuse to make an identifiable twitter account of your own and post what you think. Kind of cowardly actually

What happened to Chirag Shah was cyber bullying/cowardly and exactly the reason why I will not post this on twitter using my real info. Sorry!

The sad part is that what he wrote in that piece was unbiased, objective, and 100% accurate, yet academic peeps in position of power bullied him.

Last edited:

Yes and no.

Yes when it's just straight ad hominem attacks.

No if you're going after the content of the posts.

The issue is the power dynamic dynamic/small size/high school drama tendencies of this field (and medicine) in general. For example, I'm a resident. I have Twitter. I saw and was angered by the Chair of UChicago disparaging that intern several months ago when she simply expressed her happiness at doing a RadOnc elective.

To remind everyone:

1572959300964.png

Did I say anything? ABSOLUTELY NOT. RW could significantly harm my career with minimal effort. I know a lot of people saw that post and felt the same way (reference: >4 personal conversations), yet only a single person said anything on Twitter (Dr Sanford, an assistant prof at UTSW).

I see SDN as the only safe way for many of us to respond to prominent members of our field without retaliation. It allows us to anonymously whistle blow.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users

Cowardly? No one is stopping the Twitter crowd from coming in here and debating the issues on their merits. The anonymity of this forum allows both difficult issues to be debated without fear of reprisal in such a small field and prevents virtue signaling from getting in the way of the search for truth.

What happened to Chirag Shah was cyber bullying/cowardly and exactly the reason why I will not post this on twitter using my real info. Sorry!

The sad part is that what he wrote in that piece was unbiased, objective, and 100% accurate, yet academic peeps in position of power bullied him.
Same reason why KO won't argue the merits of an argument unless he knows who he is arguing with:

Same reason why KO won't argue the merits of an argument unless he knows who he is arguing with:

The hilarious part of this argument is that this field IS SO NICHE, and the points we debate here ARE SO NICHE, that it's almost impossible to continually engage in here and not truly be a RadOnc "doctor" (attending or resident) or, at the very least, a med student with a vested interest in the field.

It's not like we're discussing American politics, where anyone with a TV can have an opinion that makes sense [to some of the population].

Did I say anything? ABSOLUTELY NOT. RW could significantly harm my career with minimal effort. I know a lot of people saw that post and felt the same way (reference: >4 personal conversations), yet only a single person said anything on Twitter (Dr Sanford, an assistant prof at UTSW).

I'm just seeing that RW tweet even if from many months ago. That is horrible. Thank you.

Not a good look when you trash an anonymous forum make up of plenty bonafide BC ROs like myself and others, rather than address the arguments they are making.

Med students are smart enough to figure that out. RW and KO aren't do their match lists any favors this year with their Twitter accounts

Last edited:
I think the most telling thing is that numbers are drastically down this year. No amount of half-hearted "outreach" or positive twitter energy is going to change applicant numbers without significant changes to the job market. It's insulting to think that savvy medical students can't see the writing on the wall and that a 1 hour lecture is going to change that. Maybe we should take a look at what strong and robust specialties are doing to keep themselves competitive?

Hint: I bet it involves strong prospects for job mobility and *gasp* high salaries in private practice.

I think the most telling thing is that numbers are drastically down this year. No amount of half-hearted "outreach" or positive twitter energy is going to change applicant numbers without significant changes to the job market. It's insulting to think that savvy medical students can't see the writing on the wall and that a 1 hour lecture is going to change that. Maybe we should take a look at what strong and robust specialties are doing to keep themselves competitive?

Hint: I bet it involves strong prospects for job mobility and *gasp* high salaries in private practice.

Rad Onc Twitter ninnies all cheerlead for the likes.

Funny thing is that the same exact group of ppl just keep liking each other’s posts.

It’s basically a mafia situation

Reactions: 1 user

I try to not use loaded terms like cyber bullying over one comment on the internet.

I get your premise and I agree with you. I think the majority here go after the content of the twitter crowd (again, they are posting in a public forum so are open to criticism) rather than the person posting it. The rare times it is somebody going after a person rather than their content, I am making a point to try and refute it. I hope that others can maintain this level of discourse as well.

However, it's not grossly insulting to call somebody a suck-up (I had to nip more aggressive terminology in the bud recently) so it remains visible.

Yes and no.

Yes when it's just straight ad hominem attacks.

No if you're going after the content of the posts.

The issue is the power dynamic dynamic/small size/high school drama tendencies of this field (and medicine) in general. For example, I'm a resident. I have Twitter. I saw and was angered by the Chair of UChicago disparaging that intern several months ago when she simply expressed her happiness at doing a RadOnc elective.

To remind everyone:

View attachment 285475

I see SDN as the only safe way for many of us to respond to prominent members of our field without retaliation. It allows us to anonymously whistle blow.

RW is a totally different situation. He’s in a position of power and abuses that by saying whatever offensive things come to mind. Metview’s post was targeted towards a resident/recent grad and IMO amounts to intimidation.

• Haha
Is it just the way my Twitter is displaying things, or did Dave Fuller delete his hilarious string of snarky Tweets regarding this application season?

This is literally why SDN needs to exist. He either privately thought "oh, this could make me look bad" or someone(s) encouraged him to remove them because it didn't jive with the Puppies and Butterflies of #radonc.

• Angry
DELETED!!! He must have either felt bad or pressure from mothership. Terrible

Colorado sounds like another place who's leadership is full of fake news and garbage. Boo!!!

1573079194491.png

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
DELETED!!! He must have either felt bad or pressure from mothership. Terrible

Colorado sounds like another place who's leadership is full of fake news and garbage. Boo!!!

View attachment 285551

I've spent time with BK, he's a nice guy.

I just desperately want to ask him to spell out how we'll "get to a better place all around because of or in spite of events".

For the patients? Definitely.

For the current residents, and the residents yet to come?????

And ironically it is one of the new programs, part of the residency expansion.
A lot of stereo stuff and several really good faculty.
Colorado?? I'm pretty sure they were around even at the turn of the century. I remember applying to (and getting rejected from) them

Colorado has been around forever. They have at least 2 or 3 a year and are part of the group that pioneered SBRT (Kavanagh, Timmerman, etc.). Colorado as a 'new program' is fake news.

I also like Kavanagh as a person, but I also would like him to explain HOW any of this is supposed to happen. However, he is a chair and likely feels he can make that statement and do hand-waving and all concerns will be eliminated.

I just wanted to say that lemmiwenks and radoncodonk are fighting the good fight. While they may not get the re-tweets and likes that the pro-twitter crowd are getting, I wanted to respect the effort that those 2 are making to at least discuss the oversupply issue (and have actually had discussions with some people on twitter).

I have spent entirely too much time on #radonc twitter today.

Colorado has been around forever. They have at least 2 or 3 a year and are part of the group that pioneered SBRT (Kavanagh, Timmerman, etc.). Colorado as a 'new program' is fake news.

I also like Kavanagh as a person, but I also would like him to explain HOW any of this is supposed to happen. However, he is a chair and likely feels he can make that statement and do hand-waving and all concerns will be eliminated.

I just wanted to say that lemmiwenks and radoncodonk are fighting the good fight. While they may not get the re-tweets and likes that the pro-twitter crowd are getting, I wanted to respect the effort that those 2 are making to at least discuss the oversupply issue (and have actually had discussions with some people on twitter).

I have spent entirely too much time on #radonc twitter today.

Ha, likewise. I feel like Steve Hahn to the FDA and #womenwhocurie are dominating this week, masking the volume of this other issues for a bit.

CONSPIRACY THEORY: The government intentionally appointed Hahn to the FDA to bury the direct-to-general supervision change.

*tin foil time*

Last edited:
Colorado?? I'm pretty sure they were around even at the turn of the century. I remember applying to (and getting rejected from) them
I may be totally mistaken, but don’t remember them when I applied. Lot of programs had not opened including Pitt, Moffit, Vanderbilt, southwestern etx

I may be totally mistaken, but don’t remember them when I applied. Lot of programs had not opened including Pitt, Moffit, Vanderbilt, southwestern etx
In the early 2000s when I applied, all were there except Moffitt I believe which opened in 2010? Utsw was taking apps for their initial class when I applied iirc. UPMC and vandy were already established