Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

People who SOAP should AND will be shamed.

I am regrettably not very Twitter-savvy, but would someone more involved be willing to start tweeting this @ various PD's to elicit responses? Or would that be too contentious? I think harnessing the power of social media in this setting could be quite powerful...

Members don't see this ad.

I am regrettably not very Twitter-savvy, but would someone more involved be willing to start tweeting this @ various PD's to elicit responses? Or would that be too contentious? I think harnessing the power of social media in this setting could be quite powerful...
Create an anonymous Twitter account, wouldn't be hard to do, there are a few already doing it

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The thing is you should build up a following and have followers and say interesting things. Anonymous people don’t get very many followers (less than “real people”). Tweeting at people you don’t really know (in real life or on social media) is faux pas, unless responding to something they said.

Make a real account, follow people, get followers. Say things that are interesting, like what other people say, reply and rebut (politely) and slowly we can make an impact. There are non anonymous people doing it. That was the point of the OP (me!).

Blasting at people anonymously won’t get you very far, in my opinion.

It’s really annoying to be on social media, twitter is the only one I’m on, but it’s just distracting from my real life - my family, my job, and biryani (not necessarily in that order).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is you should build up a following and have followers and say interesting things. Anonymous people don’t get very many followers (less than “real people”). Tweeting at people you don’t really know (in real life or on social media) is faux pas, unless responding to something they said.

Make a real account, follow people, get followers. Say things that are interesting, like what other people say, reply and rebut (politely) and slowly we can make an impact. There are non anonymous people doing it. That was the point of the OP (me!).

It’s really annoying to be on social media, twitter is the only one I’m on, but it’s just distracting from my real life - my family, my job, and biryani (not necessarily in that order).
makes sense - I'm sure it's a slow process - in the meantime, while I get my own account off the ground, hopefully there are some good souls out there with a more significant presence who can try and help us gain some momentum!

Haha get your twitter game on people!

My SDN worth has been on the decline recently since a lot of my sarcastic and witty comments have been deleted. I feel like a piece of my soul is gone!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Idk I click replies so I have been seeing all of MROGA tweets. Don’t think you have to have a following to make an impact. Tendulkar even replied to him/her

Reactions: 2 users
KO doesn't get it. ARRO posted on twitter about not SOAPing and KO response

• Haha
  • Angry
1573472181396.png

I'll give her credit here, she at least acknowledges the CMS change as a "bombshell" and doesn't try to pretend the job market is great while maintaining an overall neutral tone (the job market is bad/RadOnc is great).

If Rahul and Malika continue to acknowledge the issues, perhaps the others will. It will hopefully help future generations, though the rest of us still seem hosed for now.

Honestly you’re not going to find anyone that doesn’t acknowledge the impact of the CMS change especially when timed in the middle of job hunt season.

Honestly you’re not going to find anyone that doesn’t acknowledge the impact of the CMS change especially when timed in the middle of job hunt season.

Eh, I had in-person conversations with my Ivory Tower Leadership last week where the response I got was "what are you talking about, what rule change".

I'll give it more time to permeate the non-Twitter non-SDN crowd and ask again.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

agree with all of this. The need for contraction has reached mainstream on Twitter and I don’t think you guys should be afraid to create accounts with your name. You’ll have bigger impact that way.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
agree with all of this. The need for contraction has reached mainstream on Twitter and I don’t think you guys should be afraid to create accounts with your name. You’ll have bigger impact that way.

Agree. Given these recent events, I will likely start using my real Twitter account as I'm no longer afraid to appear "crazy".

• Haha
Looks to me that the anonymous accounts are driving the focus to this issue.

Wonder how many revolutions began without anonymity? Wouldn't the king or queen just cut off their head if they knew who the instigator was?

Reactions: 5 users
There are lots of academic people who are speaking freely about this and contraction when theoretically they are the ones who should be ‘afraid’.

I agree that anonymous accounts work too, but there’s not a huge reason not to use your name as long as you’re being reasonable

There are lots of academic people who are speaking freely about this and contraction when theoretically they are the ones who should be ‘afraid’.

I agree that anonymous accounts work too, but there’s not a huge reason not to use your name as long as you’re being reasonable
And there are some who are still trying to deny and maybe ki$$ @$$ while still in training?

that's a specific person who is known for being bold with his opinions. Wouldn't call ET afraid of much, he probably should be less abrasive to be honest (remember when he posted here?). i think He's just saying his true opinion there.

I think the job market has problems, so he's wrong about that. but I think he's right that this poster may have set expectations such that would be hard to meet in any era - even in 2015 or 2010.

poster continuously encourages people to out themselves on twitter. Great idea folks! I’ll keep my head, thanks

• Haha
Nope. Why take the risk, intellectually honest folks without a vendetta/agenda will address the argument without making it personal.

SDN did plenty for the field through anonymity already

And there are some who are still trying to deny and maybe ki$$ @$$ while still in training?

Totally agree. This is a pattern with Thomas at this point

Maybe he’s already got a job lined up so he DGAF

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: oh dear

"The sky is falling" symbolizes fast downward trajectory and it's relative. If you could once expect $500k and in a few short years can only expect $250-300k for the same job, I think "the sky is falling" is appropriate.

Going to undergrad, med school, gap year/MD-PhD, rad onc residency puts you at 99th percentile in terms of education/training, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that level of compensation...

Only in medicine where we have fellow colleagues telling each other we should be happy with a salary cap. I never heard an administrator talk like that. Despite the fact that they need doctors to do their jobs.

Reactions: 9 users
I’m a better doctor than you because I’m will to work for less.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Salaries are falling right now because jobs are scarce, not because professional reimbursement cuts (yet). This guy doesn’t get it.

I'm a better doctor than you because I'm willing to work EVEN MORE for EVEN LESS and I'll let my patients verbally abuse me and my nurses.

TOP. THAT.
Salaries are falling right now because jobs are scarce, not because professional reimbursement cuts (yet). This guy doesn’t get it.

Here is the thing to remember: because reimbursements aren't really going down (yet), the patients aren't paying any less. the hospital system or administrators are making the left over money when salaries go down in spite of no major changes in reimbursement.

So when you're an employee of a hospital or med school and your professional fee revenue would be say $500k/year, but you're making 350K/year...the system is still billing out 500K, you're just not getting it and someone else is. That doesn't make you a better doctor or more altruistic.

Reactions: 7 users
Here is the thing to remember: because reimbursements aren't really going down (yet), the patients aren't paying any less. the hospital system or administrators are making the left over money when salaries go down in spite of no major changes in reimbursement.

So when you're an employee of a hospital or med school and your professional fee revenue would be say $500k/year, but you're making 350K/year...the system is still billing out 500K, you're just not getting it and someone else is. That doesn't make you a better doctor or more altruistic.
EXACTLY right. Essentially, all these virtue-signaling radoncs on twitter are saying "We are ok with the hospital system/admins making the money instead of radiation oncologists."

Damn.

Shah saw this coming (see Bloodbath thread), and Tendulkar now on board. They're on the same team.

These guys need a platform for the field as a whole ASAP.

all of Tendulkar's tweets in that thread are on point.

Cleveland Clinic has been ahead of the game for a long time. From interviewing there I remember seeing that their chairman who has a legit service plus GK goes uncovered multiple months a year.

most places could never.

Reactions: 7 users
all of Tendulkar's tweets in that thread are on point.

Cleveland Clinic has been ahead of the game for a long time. From interviewing there I remember seeing that their chairman who has a legit service plus GK goes uncovered multiple months a year.

most places could never.
He's definitely ahead of the game. Med students, this is the kind of place you want to match into.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Man, I’ve been told all along that residents “slow down” attendings. They should feel lucky to be unburdened.

• Haha
I know we want to lap up what the guy is saying, And I certainly hope he’s entirely sincere but.... he is also trying to fill his spots and appearing as one of the enlightened ones can only help.

I’m definitely calling BS on Cleveland Clinic “preparing” to be unmatched and residency contraction for a “long” time.

Additionally, someone is dictating notes while he’s on Twitter all day.

• Haha
I know we want to lap up what the guy is saying, And I certainly hope he’s entirely sincere but.... he is also trying to fill his spots and appearing as one of the enlightened ones can only help.

I’m definitely calling BS on Cleveland Clinic “preparing” to be unmatched and residency contraction for a “long” time.

Damn you, I was starting to believe again!

Better than pretending there isn't a problem, is how I see it. And it Is impressive that each attending at CCF goes uncovered for part of the year. More programs could use that

I just see the “We get it. We’ve long prepared. Everyone else has the problem” tweets as a bit of self preservation.

Never seen a PD throw other programs under the bus before. Seems like some self preservation may be afoot.

Never seen a PD throw other programs under the bus before. Seems like some self preservation may be afoot.
He's probably right though. CCF was a pretty good program when I interviewed with them, solid training, upper mid tier place.

Some of these "fly by night" programs that were created recently don't seem as pro resident, I bet. And fwiw, CCF didn't expand per Rahul

No doubt. Cleveland Clinic is a great training program. But, they aren’t giving up their spots. Shouldn’t have to, because they’re a great program. But if you honestly believe contraction is needed, and signal it publicly, you should be the first to raise your hand.

Omg

SDN is gonna SDN.

Nothing is good enough

Meh. We’ve been saying contraction is needed for years. This guy has the power to actually contract a program. Great to finally jump on board with the obvious 4 years too late, but then make the change you suggest.

we’ve also long warned about the “tragedy of the commons” issue. Everyone can agree action is needed, that’s cool it’s obvious, but who is actually going volunteer to take the hit?

No doubt. Cleveland Clinic is a great training program. But, they aren’t giving up their spots. Shouldn’t have to, because they’re a great program. But if you honestly believe contraction is needed, and signal it publicly, you should be the first to raise your hand.
Game theory/prisoner's dilemma. Why should CCF contract when they can get the cream of the crop? I'm guessing Rahul will let the WVUs, Tenn, LIJs and PSUs figure that out.

Can't totally blame him. Personally, I think the newer, crappier programs that created slots #140-200 should be the ones to contract.

Omg

SDN is gonna SDN.

Nothing is good enough

1) Yes, that's why this place exists.

2) While I'm very pleased to finally see a response from people in leadership positions, this does strike me as "a day late and a dollar short". Human beings only change when they're uncomfortable. Things are finally uncomfortable.

I mean there needs to be a plan. Not in 3 years after several committees have convened and bogus articles have been published. But 3 years ago. Now would also work.

If you think other programs should contract, name them. Take a stance. If you think you should contract, do it.

Obviously, this is pie in the sky thinking, but we need rapid changes in how things are done in this specialty. It’s not good enough to just begrudgingly agree with the misanthropes here.

Game theory/prisoner's dilemma. Why should CCF contract when they can get the cream of the crop? I'm guessing Rahul will let the WVUs, Tenn, LIJs and PSUs figure that out.

Can't totally blame him. Personally, I think the newer, crappier programs that created slots #140-200 should be the ones to contract.
Perhaps mroga2020 can ask what programs he feels should contract or are least prepared.

Don't be mean.

CCF is awesome. Their book is the best! (take that, Yale/UCSF/MDA)

Yes, the crappy programs should be the ones to close or contract. Would you rather Cleveland Clinic, MSKCC, etc. contract instead? Don't be dumb. The best institutions should be the ones to train residents. Sure, Stanford and WashU can afford to lose a spot or two, but ideally, if the residency police ever enforce proper case numbers and other reforms to ensure quality residency education, you can bet that CCF will come out on top.

As it should be.

Don't bite the PD that is on your/our side.

Reactions: 6 users
Perhaps mroga2020 can ask what programs he feels should contract or are least prepared.
Common sense imo, even if it pisses people like @KHE88 off.

WVU, Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tenn, LIJ, City of Hope, cedars, PSU, and at least one Mayo satellite program could disappear tomorrow and the specialty would be better off for it

Don't be mean.

CCF is awesome. Their book is the best! (take that, Yale/UCSF/MDA)

Yes, the crappy programs should be the ones to close or contract. Would you rather Cleveland Clinic, MSKCC, etc. contract instead? Don't be dumb. The best institutions should be the ones to train residents. Sure, Stanford and WashU can afford to lose a spot or two, but ideally, if the residency police ever enforce proper case numbers and other reforms to ensure quality residency education, you can bet that CCF will come out on top.

As it should be.

Don't bite the PD that is on your/our side.
Exactly. Although to be fair, CCF trained 2/year when I applied. That's probably what they should agree to match this year