You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So which one of you is treating Biden?
www.bbc.com
Joe Biden receiving radiation therapy for prostate cancer, spokesman says
The 82-year-old former US president - who was diagnosed with an aggressive prostate cancer in May - is also getting hormone treatment.
Notice he is getting moderately hypofractionated radiation (“5 weeks”). Protons?So which one of you is treating Biden?
![]()
Joe Biden receiving radiation therapy for prostate cancer, spokesman says
The 82-year-old former US president - who was diagnosed with an aggressive prostate cancer in May - is also getting hormone treatment.www.bbc.com
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although he already has bone metastases.Notice he is getting moderately hypofractionated radiation (“5 weeks”). Protons?
So, treating the primary based on Stampede Arm H would be 4 weeks of daily treatments (20 x 2.75 Gy) or 6 fractions, 1x/week (6 x 6 Gy).
lol, prior auth no longer applies when you are the former POTUSAlthough he already has bone metastases.
So, treating the primary based on Stampede Arm H would be 4 weeks of daily treatments (20 x 2.75 Gy) or 6 fractions, 1x/week (6 x 6 Gy).
Hopefully, treating doc omitted the dre (as they should on all pts)lol, prior auth no longer applies when you are the former POTUS
Biden gave America the DRE. 😉Hopefully, treating doc omitted the dre (as they should on all pts)
5 weeks of protons for metastatic prostate cancer? that would be very American
Warren Buffett got 8 weeks for low risk disease I think. Not sure which is worse.5 weeks of protons for metastatic prostate cancer? that would be very American
5 weeks of protons for metastatic prostate cancer? that would be very American
Do we know he’s getting protons or just a guess?
Presidential prostate… protons prescribed, probably.Do we know he’s getting protons or just a guess?
Probably at UPenn.Presidential prostate… protons prescribed, probably.
It said PhiladelphiaI would guess INOVA If protons
Is Penn still treating prostate with protons? I know Utah stopped.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it's Philly maybe he just wades in the Schuykill 15 mins a day.
When Biden was told “sir you have mets” he was like “I know he’s my doctor.”Is Penn still treating prostate with protons?
Either this is a major HIPAA violation or old Joe is senile, wandered into a building, saw a bell and decided to start ringing it.
Sleepy Joe maybe was cool with it and gave permission to photograph?Either this is a major HIPAA violation or old Joe is senile, wandered into a building, saw a bell and decided to start ringing it.
I thought randomized data showed bell ringing was harmful to patients. Don’t they practice EBM at Penn.
I guess if you get prostate photon RT you wear sweats. Proton RT you wear suit and tie.
I guess if you get prostate photon RT you wear sweats. Proton RT you wear suit and tie.
The Cancer Bell: Too Much of a Good Thing? - PubMed
Counter to our hypothesis, ringing the bell on the final day of RT worsens patients' evaluation of overall distress from cancer treatment, and this distress persists and even worsens in the months after treatment. Emotional arousal created by ringing the bell may magnify the distress from cancer...
She needs a pardon toohis daughters name is in the post. She posted it.
I doubt it's terribly inconvenient to show up in a suit for low dose whole brain...I thought randomized data showed bell ringing was harmful to patients. Don’t they practice EBM at Penn.
I guess if you get prostate photon RT you wear sweats. Proton RT you wear suit and tie.
I guess Trump is going to go after radiation departments now!
I guess we’re not afraid to denigrate one president.
Congrats to him finishing. I wouldn’t take the bell ringing study too seriously. It’s probably good for some people and most departments don’t make it reflexive.
Congrats to him finishing. I wouldn’t take the bell ringing study too seriously. It’s probably good for some people and most departments don’t make it reflexive.
Last edited:
Yeah we opened up a new centre and changed the bell to a giant gong in the courtyard. The area is somewhat private and separated so at least someone’s private choice doesn’t affect other patients who don’t have a choice to hear, especially if they’ve relapsed since original curative intent treatment.I guess we’re not afraid to denigrate one president.
Congrats to him finishing. I wouldn’t take the bell ringing study too seriously. It’s probably good for some people and most departments don’t make it reflexive.
Is it just me or is it weird that we even offer up the gong or the bell or whatever. After I had my screening colonoscopy I didn’t get to ring a bell on the way out. I suppose none of us even ask or present as an option bell/gong for the single fraction bone met or cranial radiosurgery or heterotopic ossification patients!Yeah we opened up a new centre and changed the bell to a giant gong in the courtyard. The area is somewhat private and separated so at least someone’s private choice doesn’t affect other patients who don’t have a choice to hear, especially if they’ve relapsed since original curative intent treatment.
I agree with you. Giving a man with M1 prostate cancer 28 proton fractions is denigrating, on multiple levels. I could write a PhD thesis on how the ACA made that kind of denigration more likely.I guess we’re not afraid to denigrate one president.
Congrats to him finishing. I wouldn’t take the bell ringing study too seriously. It’s probably good for some people and most departments don’t make it reflexive.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, we owe him a lot. Basically everything that's happening now.I guess we’re not afraid to denigrate one president.
Congrats to him finishing. I wouldn’t take the bell ringing study too seriously. It’s probably good for some people and most departments don’t make it reflexive.
Yes, we owe him a lot. Basically everything that's happening now.
It's super difficult to say something that polar opposite sides of the political spectrum would agree with, well done here
Do we know that he got protons? I presume he did…but I don’t know. Denigrating is the wrong word. If anything, protons and overtreatment of the wealthy are status symbols. (The wealthy don’t always choose wisely).I agree with you. Giving a man with M1 prostate cancer 28 proton fractions is denigrating, on multiple levels. I could write a PhD thesis on how the ACA made that kind of denigration more likely.
Agree, data purists going to go with 55/20 for limited Mets. But, we know very little about his particular case. I’m sure many here who have given 28 fractions to a patient with 1-3 osseous mets or equivocal Mets.
I’d call the ACA a win overall, a win for my children (one born with a heart defect) and a win for my hospital.
Biden expanded subsidies to alleviate the hurt caused to the not affluent but not poor in the ACA marketplace. I’d call that a win as well. Peak insured at end of Biden era.
Sure, someone should look at the impact of percentile caps on insurance profits.
Public option anyone?
I’m sure many here who have given 28 fractions to a patient with 1-3 osseous mets or equivocal Mets.
Haha I like to envision that if someone confronted Neha about giving 28 fractions of proton therapy to an 82 year old man with M1 prostate cancer, her response might be that the misanthropes on SDN do it too 🤣
"Kamala Harris has revealed former US president Joe Biden sent her call straight to voicemail."
Did he send it straight to voicemail or not pick up? More Rupert Murdoch trash headline stuff?
The "fact?" that he sent her straight to voicemail just makes him fit in. Who the hell still answers their phone? GenZ would consider the phone call an aggressive act."Kamala Harris has revealed former US president Joe Biden sent her call straight to voicemail."
Did he send it straight to voicemail or not pick up? More Rupert Murdoch trash headline stuff?
Not my patients, for which I am grateful. I'd much rather fire off a quick mho message then get trapped on the phone.
I think it’s good PR for our field and would be an honor to treat a POTUS…even Biden or Trump.
I would LOVE to know more details just out of being nosy (? SpaceOAR , ? Protons, ?dose/targets/margins?)…but overall kind of cool to see in many ways.
Agree this is great and good on ASTRO for running with it.
Speaking of good PR, The Fat Electrician is a YouTuber who creates deeply entertaining videos about US military history. His videos get millions of views, he has 2+ million subscribers, etc. Watch this one until the end, or skip to the end to see the radonc connection. I watched it without knowing there was a radiation story there, and it was super fun to find out about it. ASTRO should promote this story as well.
Speaking of good PR, The Fat Electrician is a YouTuber who creates deeply entertaining videos about US military history. His videos get millions of views, he has 2+ million subscribers, etc. Watch this one until the end, or skip to the end to see the radonc connection. I watched it without knowing there was a radiation story there, and it was super fun to find out about it. ASTRO should promote this story as well.
From above. "The curves separated early...". Always a concerning finding IMO and most likely represents a failure of randomization (Type I error).
Last edited:
George Carlin could’ve done a whole show based on this one emailSent today by email from ESTRO.
View attachment 411141
So, apparently according to ESTRO...
"Delivering radiotherapy to the left breast instead of the right breast is not a set-up error, it is merely a set-up variation."
😛
Well, I guess that's technically true. The R/L axis was off by about 20 cm or so. This my friends is why we conventionally fractionate because over time such errors work out by the law of averages. That of course assumes you had a 20 cm set-up variation margin on our Right breast PTV, otherwise YMMV.Sent today by email from ESTRO.
View attachment 411141
So, apparently according to ESTRO...
"Delivering radiotherapy to the left breast instead of the right breast is not a set-up error, it is merely a set-up variation."
😛
„One breast on the left and one breast on the right, you don’t wanna miss.“That of course assumes you had a 20 cm set-up variation margin on our Right breast PTV, otherwise YMMV.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No biggie in the US, can still get you nominated for the top spot in our professional societySent today by email from ESTRO.
View attachment 411141
So, apparently according to ESTRO...
"Delivering radiotherapy to the left breast instead of the right breast is not a set-up error, it is merely a set-up variation."
😛
SnowflakesSent today by email from ESTRO.
View attachment 411141
So, apparently according to ESTRO...
"Delivering radiotherapy to the left breast instead of the right breast is not a set-up error, it is merely a set-up variation."
😛
Adaptive can fix these problems for youWell, I guess that's technically true. The R/L axis was off by about 20 cm or so. This my friends is why we conventionally fractionate because over time such errors work out by the law of averages. That of course assumes you had a 20 cm set-up variation margin on our Right breast PTV, otherwise YMMV.
We should be giving more lattice treatments.This does not look very "real world" to me...
Or am I the only one?