Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope this is maintained on a PER-YEAR basis going forward. People have to shrink their programs by 1 per year per program, not 1 per program. We'll see if the UColorados, Hofstras of the world commit to that. Seems like MDACC is going to permanently go to 6/year (down from 7)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hope this is maintained on a PER-YEAR basis going forward. People have to shrink their programs by 1 per year per program, not 1 per program. We'll see if the UColorados, Hofstras of the world commit to that. Seems like MDACC is going to permanently go to 6/year (down from 7)?

I don't think they'll do 1 per year per program. Each program needs to halve their size. Including MDACC down to 3 residents. And maybe in a decade things won't be horrible. But they'll still suck

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they'll do 1 per year per program. Each program needs to halve their size. Including MDACC down to 3 residents. And maybe in a decade things won't be horrible. But they'll still suck

I assume This has already been brought up before but I remember some boomer rule around 2014ish that allowed grandfathering in of those docs that never got certified. Should start a list of physicians that aren’t certified and in practice would be interesting to see the numbers

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rule goes way back - maybe late 90s or early 2000s? It’s not really a rule but rather those who became board certified before MOC were given lifetime certificates. Those ‘old timers’ can volunteer to participate in MOC though most probably don’t. Nothing really happens if they fail to keep up with MOC or fail the MOC questions.

edit - I just reread your post - I think if someone was never certified they’d have to retrain for a year after 2014 ? There was some kind of an exception for old timers ???

Good news: anyone can “attend” the ARRO sessions. It’s usually a total resume padding exercise for the presenters until the final act when Dr. Wall presents the jobs data.

This year should be interesting. Next year will be illuminating.

Rule goes way back - maybe late 90s or early 2000s? It’s not really a rule but rather those who became board certified before MOC were given lifetime certificates. Those ‘old timers’ can volunteer to participate in MOC though most probably don’t. Nothing really happens if they fail to keep up with MOC or fail the MOC questions.

edit - I just reread your post - I think if someone was never certified they’d have to retrain for a year after 2014 ? There was some kind of an exception for old timers ???

Grandfathering was because board certification represents a contract, so they were not allowed to change the rules after board certification was given. That’s how it worked with ABIM at least.

Grandfathering was because board certification represents a contract, so they were not allowed to change the rules after board certification was given. That’s how it worked with ABIM at least.

yes - I think we are saying the same thing. Haybrant is saying that those that never bothered to become certified or remained board eligible by showing up (and not passing) the oral exams were somehow grandfathered. I don’t think that was ever the case and I recall a rule stating that they would have to retrain for a year to remain board eligible.

Good news: anyone can “attend” the ARRO sessions. It’s usually a total resume padding exercise for the presenters until the final act when Dr. Wall presents the jobs data.

This year should be interesting. Next year will be illuminating.

I read that to mean that anyone who pays for ASTRO can attend ARRO (that, they are not restricted to just residents). I would be pleasantly surprised if they meant that anyone (even those not paying for ASTRO) can watch the lecture. Would love @ARRO input on this.

I read that to mean that anyone who pays for ASTRO can attend ARRO (that, they are not restricted to just residents). I would be pleasantly surprised if they meant that anyone (even those not paying for ASTRO) can watch the lecture. Would love @ARRO input on this.
You are correct, anyone who is registered for the Annual Meeting will have access to ARRO content/program. Also new, the content will be delivered daily from Sunday through Wednesday. If you're not able to attend the sessions at the scheduled time they will be recorded and posted to Annual Meeting website the following day.

1599705255249.png

I hope potential residents are reading this. If your aspiration is rural RO, you’ve hit the proverbial jackpot. If not, then head for the hills.

Also, I strongly suspect “has done its own research” is code for created “advanced RO” and “inpatient RO” fellowships.

edit: I can’t believe I missed this was a parody account! You cheeky buggers, I love you guys!

“Society of Crinkly And Really Old Penises (SCAROP)”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 317967
I hope potential residents are reading this. If your aspiration is rural RO, you’ve hit the proverbial jackpot. If not, then head for the hills.

Also, I strongly suspect “has done its own research” is code for created “advanced RO” and “inpatient RO” fellowships.
Gfunk falling for a parody account or going along with the joke...
1599705745453.png

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 317967

edit: I can’t believe I missed this was a parody account! You cheeky buggers, I love you guys!

“Society of Crinkly And Really Old Penises (SCAROP)”
Gfunk falling for a parody account or going along with the joke...
View attachment 317968

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.”
- A direct quote by me you are free to use

Glad SCAROP finally made it on to RO Twitter ;)

I'm laughing at this new account and their posts, but wonder if it's gone a step too far. I think it's just the 'old penises' bit that's making me pause, but I suppose it is very obvious that it is a troll account. But now we have an official troll account on twitter, I guess.

I wonder if it's made and staffed by a current SDN user. I would bet yes. And for that, I think this will reinvigorate Twitter bashing of SDN. Thus, I am split on my opinions on this account.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Obviously the anatomical term is meant to point out the most chairs are boomer men.

It's pretty hilarious as a parody.

Can't wait to see RW interact with it.

• Haha
I'm laughing at this new account and their posts, but wonder if it's gone a step too far. I think it's just the 'old penises' bit that's making me pause, but I suppose it is very obvious that it is a troll account. But now we have an official troll account on twitter, I guess.

I wonder if it's made and staffed by a current SDN user. I would bet yes. And for that, I think this will reinvigorate Twitter bashing of SDN. Thus, I am split on my opinions on this account.
Replace “Penises” with “Paternalists” and they’d have struck the perfect tone

Pretty sure ABRO a troll account also

Replace “Penises” with “Paternalists” and they’d have struck the perfect tone

Agreed, this would make it more subtle as a troll account.

Pretty sure ABRO a troll account also

Yes, but it's less in your face and more subtle. Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud.

Let me assure you that rural RO is not the proverbial jackpot. You most likely will be working for a sketchy hospital system that is struggling to keep the lights on. Good luck ever getting a bonus. Have fun setting up locums coverage. Have fun never getting the hospital to invest in anything for your clinic. Have fun living in whatever awful housing is available. Good luck with your staff who are stuck in their ways and not easily replaceable. Remember that even though you may be getting paid $500-700k, the private practice rad oncs in cities are still making more than you with better quality of life.

Most of these rural practices need to be compensating 800-900k or giving you a portion of technical to make all the other BS worth it IMO. Hospitals won't do this blah blah fair market value blah blah.

If you can set up your own center AND have a reliable referral stream, then yes, maybe jackpot. Maybe. I've looked into this. Lots of variables.

Anybody who wants to know more about the pitfalls of taking a rural hospital job, PM me.

• Love
Remember that even though you may be getting paid $500-700k, the private practice rad oncs in cities are still making more than you with better quality of life.

If you say so. I've never been offered $500k rural or urban, private or academic.

• Haha
I think it’s extremely rare to make significantly above $500k in a coastal city these days. Those are now unicorn jobs.

If you say so. I've never been offered $500k rural or urban, private or academic.

Have you applied to truly rural positions to the point that they have given you a contract? I have gotten to this point with about 5-6 of them. Legitimate ones will typically offer in the 500-550k range and you can negotiate up to about 75-80% MGMA which is low 600s. Non-legitimate ones are the ones that are posted for years and are typically trying to pay much less to someone desperate. They are content chugging along with bottom-barrel locums willing to accept 1500/day for years to bargain hunt a full time rad onc. Huge red flag.

Regarding PP, I was talking partner income in single specialty groups that own their stuff. This can be 1M+ with significant buy in. To approach 7 figures on pro fees alone you need to be seeing 50 OTVs a week (I know of people who do this).

My point was that taking a 600k job in rural North Dakota vs a 400k job in St. Louis or something is not worth it. That's only an extra 100k of real post-tax money and while that sounds like a lot of money, your lifestyle doesn't really change because of that and it just pads your savings a bit and is not worth the B.S. these jobs typically entail.

If a med student wants to go to a rural area to make bank, rad onc is not the way to do it!!! Lots of other specialites will do as well if not better with less risk, more opportunities, and less B.S. It used to be specialities like ER and radiology would get set ups where they could work a few days a week and make this much and they would just commute from a large city and have a crashpad near the rural hospital. Good luck doing this in rad onc where you are tied to the machine 5 days a week.

I think it’s extremely rare to make significantly above $500k in a coastal city these days. Those are now unicorn jobs.

Agree. The ones who have nestled into a legit PP with ownership in these areas know how lucky they are. It's unrealistic for anybody going into this field to expect anything like this unless your dad owns the practice (common!). If you want to be in a top 10 city expect zero bargaining power and primary care level pay (or worse).

Agree. New grad in coastal city is truly lucky if they get 300k these days. (And lucky to just get the job frankly. Coastal jobs are going to people with experience. If the job goes to a new grad there’s usually something ****ty about the job — perhaps not in an immediately obvious fashion to someone right out of residency).

My point was that taking a 600k job in rural North Dakota vs a 400k job in St. Louis or something is not worth it.

Agree. You’d have to pay me a lot more than 400k to go to St Louis. ;). Don’t think that’s on anyone’s list of desirable cities. Sorry to be a terrible snob. I like me my briyani.

Agree. You’d have to pay me a lot more than 400k to go to St Louis. ;). Don’t think that’s on anyone’s list of desirable cities. Sorry to be a terrible snob. I like me my briyani.

Biryani? I'd settle for an Olive Garden or even a Panda Express at this point.

• Haha
Biryani? I'd settle for an Olive Garden or even a Panda Express at this point.

somebody help this guy out. He is not even asking for Sichuan. He just wants his reheated frozen orange chicken with some rice.

Reactions: 4 users
Man, I can always count on KHE88 to help me feel good about my life.

Good luck brother!

Geez, this trolling is going to the next level. I wonder if there is a pathology equivalent troll Twitter account with their equally crappy job market.

I mean, if you create a situation where you manage to enrich your oversupplied specialty with some of the best medical students of a generation and they become disillusioned residents and attendings...folks are gonna creatively lash out.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I mean, if you create a situation where you manage to enrich your oversupplied specialty with some of the best medical students of a generation and they become disillusioned residents and attendings...folks are gonna creatively lash out.
"A riot is the language of the unheard." - MLK Jr.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Of course the joke's on anyone thinking a rad onc even HAS an easy way to practice rurally. With lower patient numbers "in the boonies," (sometimes, not now) crazy regulations, APM pressure, ever downward reimbursements, certificates of need, the academics saying people "in the boonies" can't even practice palliative XRT without oversight, etc., the "rural rad onc" is something that is neither realistic nor that our specialty supports. I mean it's totally laudable to support racial equality, gender equality, etc. But, if all Americans don't have easy cancer care access, emphasis on the one without the other... if you're an oncologist... sort of loses the plot. No?

Reactions: 4 users
I am pretty sure our specialty us “led” by brainless invertebrates. Pretty slimy sticky fingers to devour the young. It is no wonder many people are speaking out and airing out our dirty laundry. This year’s match will be exquisite to watch.

I am pretty sure our specialty us “led” by brainless invertebrates. Pretty slimy sticky fingers to devour the young. It is no wonder many people are speaking out and airing out our dirty laundry. This year’s match will be exquisite to watch.
Time for #XRexiT???

s-l300.jpg

EDIT: There are lots of picture of 3 troll dolls on google. This one was selected solely because the middle doll was wearing something that Prince would have worn. Which is awesome.

• Haha
  • Haha
  • Haha
Eh I think the troll accounts are getting a bit overboard, but realize that some find them entertaining. I think flooding rad onc twitter with a bunch of troll accounts doesn't really add value to the discussion.

• Haha
Eh I think the troll accounts are getting a bit overboard, but realize that some find them entertaining. I think flooding rad onc twitter with a bunch of troll accounts doesn't really add value to the discussion.
Neither did the gaslighting from the radoncrocks crowd but at least now things are balanced in both directions

Paul Waller DO twitter better look out. He is about to get slapped with threats of a frivilous lawsuit by a raving sociopath.