Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The chairs aren't swallowing up PP

The MBAs with hospital expansion are doing that and guess what it's not stopping, esp with the new HOPPS rule.

We now need chairs to push for new hirings at those sites.

oh ok i believe you. Chairs got NOTHING to do with it. You a chair? Lol. Got it.

Members don't see this ad.

If I was a chair, I wouldn't bother with this shiz lmao

just cash dem checks

I know for a fact that a chair in a large academic centre with many satellites is directly and actively involved in the growth, admin of the satellites. I do not see a reason to believe it is different in other places. Chairmen are supposed to be involved in the business side

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact that a chair in a large academic centre with many satellites is directly and actively involved in the growth, admin of the satellites. I do not see a reason to believe it is different in other places. Chairmen are supposed to be involved in the business side

I’m sure this goes on.

But I know of cases where a fledgling outside clinic was begging the academic place to take them over.

There’s no one exact way this happens.

Simul hit by the censorship button like dave fuller? Say it ain't so! If that's the case this is why people are unwilling to go to Twitter...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Dang - he took down the tweets re: Shah.
Looks like the tweet is gone? What did it say?

I only saw it for a second .

I *think* was a shout out to Dr. Shah for correctly calling the coming problems with ongoing residency expansion and a criticism of the response from the leaders (?Zeitman/Hallahan?) that was in the original 2013 Red Journal commentary.

I don't see how Shah was wrong about anything.

This dude was Nate Silver 2012 levels of right.

Reactions: 4 users
Dang - he took down the tweets re: Shah.

I only saw it for a second .

I *think* was a shout out to Dr. Shah for correctly calling the coming problems with ongoing residency expansion and a criticism of the response from the leaders (?Zeitman/Hallahan?) that was in the original 2013 Red Journal commentary.

I don't see how Shah was wrong about anything.

This dude was Nate Silver 2012 levels of right.
Yes, it was a shout out to Chirag Shah, said he was on point about everything, then summarized the response from leaders in the field in the Red Journal that were malignant and/or tone deaf.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the posturing by the "Twitterati" that anonymity is bad and that people should have the courage to publicly air their grievances, we all know how things really work. Hong Kong is the prefect example - real change is made by generating sufficient attention to the problem via anonymity (e.s. SDN) rather than petitioning the Chinese government to pretty please give us democracy (e.g. Twitter).

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
For all the posturing by the "Twitterati" that anonymity is bad and that people should have the courage to publicly air their grievances, we all know how things really work. Hong Kong is the prefect example - real change is made by generating sufficient attention to the problem via anonymity (e.s. SDN) rather than petitioning the Chinese government to pretty please give us democracy (e.g. Twitter).

yo, this is embarrassing, delete it.

Reactions: 1 user
yo, this is embarrassing, delete it.

Logic seems reasonable to me. Instead of asking someone to simply delete something you don't like, how about assailing it on its merits? That's one of the big problems on Radonc Twitter right now. No one actually addressing many of the points being made, other than Rahul from what I can tell.

Logic seems reasonable to me. Instead of asking someone to simply delete something you don't like, how about assailing it on its merits? That's one of the big problems on Radonc Twitter right now. No one actually addressing many of the points being made, other than Rahul from what I can tell.

I mean don't compare something like this to Hong Kong.

Agree. The Chinese are very tough people. If they took over rad onc, we’d be in re-education camps with Chinese Muslims or Tibetan Monks. Any push from multiple same posters on here to “out” people (jeez people hope you dont have anything but straight friends) should be viewed at the very least with suspicion, constant pattern. You know who you are!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We're going to have to start archiving #radonc tweets. Fahrenheit 451?

We're going to have to start archiving #radonc tweets. Fahrenheit 451?

SDN will serve such an important role in these times of censorship. We should all donate to it and support it. The archive will be here with receipts

I usually screenshot it and add link as well. Should’ve done the same here... didn’t think this would happen.
Still loads

IMG_20191112_135547.png

While he was uttering true prophecies, nobody believed him.

People like CS need to be elevated to the very top on our field. He should be the one showing pictures of his family to a full audience at ASTRO. Guy should never pay for an ASTRO drink ever. He is our oracle of delphi

Reactions: 5 users
In this year where the canaries will speak even louder as last year, it is imperative that programs with strong leadership be rewarded. Likewise, PDs and clown bully chairs are trying quite hard NOT to match at some places.

If you have a CCF interview I would absolutely go there with people like RT and CS and their education system; should be your #1 rank. Most programs should be Shut down because they dont have any leaders worth a damn and abuse people by not prioritizing education and their success

This depends on the academic institution and the chair. I have personally seen where a satellite is added by hospital admin with contract and all, and the department chair found out after the fact. Decisions routinely made about satellites without chair input. This is not isolated to our department.

Love how ko has coined the #dirtymatch.

I figure population concerns should come into play. Does nyc need as many programs as they have? There are about 15-20 residents trained in nyc a year. Same with the state of Ohio - there are four programs training ~10 residents a year. Can even extend this to single programs in smaller regions. Does Rochester need 3 new rad oncs a year? Population related should be a factor imo, no matter how good the program people are going to place roots and want to stay in the region they train.

Strongly disagree. I trained with a very well-known program in a large city, the same city where I went to med school for the 4 years prior and did an internship as well. After the end of my residency, all I wanted to do was gtfo of said city.

Not according to KO!

I think getting we need to get away from this idea of 0.
0 makes SDN sound like a bunch of cranks.

This is a space to make some noise and to speak truth to power.

If you beat the drum for 0, you'll get ignored and then we all look bad.

Fair enough. Why not 100 though? Was there a shortage last decade close to when were graduating that?

Fair enough. Why not 100 though? Was there a shortage last decade close to when were graduating that?

I don't know. But picking 0 or some other random number seems as smart as what the residency programs did when they had no limit to expansion.

I don't know. But picking 0 or some other random number seems as smart as what the residency programs did when they had no limit to expansion.
If you think 100-120 is ideal, and we've been graduating close to 200 for the last several years, 0 one year isn't that crazy of an idea to bring us back into balance at a time when senior residents are getting offers/interviews pulled

If you think 100-120 is ideal, and we've been graduating close to 200 for the last several years, 0 one year isn't that crazy of an idea to bring us back into balance at a time when senior residents are getting offers/interviews pulled

If you think zeroing out an entire class makes you or SDN look logical/reasonable, you're out of your mind. But you're entitled to whatever policy prescription you want. I'm supportive of SDN, but last few days have been over the top. Progress is actually being made. Let's not negate that.

If you think zeroing out an entire class makes you or SDN look logical/reasonable, you're out of your mind. But you're entitled to whatever policy prescription you want. I'm supportive of SDN, but last few days have been over the top. Progress is actually being made. Let's not negate that.
The progress has been reactive. Again, I think @Mandelin Rain has the right idea here. It may seem a little off the wall, but remember we were considered the dregs of radonc not even two years ago for things that are being discussed with normalcy now on #radonc Twitter

Okay. Continue on with your quest for 0 for 2020. Best of luck!
Remember when everyone found out they got an extra year of residency back in the early 90s before they could graduate? Basically the same thing as graduating 0 for a year.

Probably sounded equally outlandish back then but did have the impact of fixing the RO supply glut.

Afaik, I don't think we've ever had a shortage in our specialty....

Last edited:

There is historical precedent for zero in rad onc.

Maybe not exactly in the way we are meaning, but that time when rad onc residency went from 3 years to 4 years requirements made you wait a year after graduating to get board certified (for a time you could graduate WITH board certification) there was a one-year gap where America produced zero board certified rad oncs over a ~730 day period. This was around 2004 I think. (EDIT: also @medgator example above)
We basically had over about a decade time frame two times where no BC rad oncs were produced.

KO making some reasonable points on Twitter today about disagreeing with anticompetitive arguments against taking on residency expansion.

good point above that there has never been a shortage of radoncs, ever .

Delaying boards doesn’t help the issue. I don’t think there is anywhere you cannot practice as a board eligible physician.

Nothing pisses me off more than ppl living in LA, NYC, etc telling us that we should live outside the big cities

If it’s so great then give me your job and go!

here’s latest example

• Haha
Well, there’s a problem with that idea ...

Attachments

• 988223F6-4DF4-4FEC-A62D-DDDAD32A0B8C.jpeg
    988223F6-4DF4-4FEC-A62D-DDDAD32A0B8C.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Haha
Nothing pisses me off more than ppl living in LA, NYC, etc telling us that we should live outside the big cities

If it’s so great then give me your job and go!

here’s latest example

pretty funny stuff coming from a guy who practices in Beverly Hills. Howard Sandler seemed like a good guy but that program had no business starting, it just was not needed.

pretty funny stuff coming from a guy who practices in Beverly Hills. Howard Sandler seemed like a good guy but that program had no business starting, it just was not needed.

Hah, hate to defend the academicians, but the Cedars guys are solid and the training there is top-notch. This is probably an anomaly, but they are all well-pedigreed, decent guys who look out for their residents. From what I've heard, all the recent grads landed jobs/geographies of choice, and I know for a fact the faculty make calls to help their residents out on the job search.

• Haha
Hah, hate to defend the academicians, but the Cedars guys are solid and the training there is top-notch. This is probably an anomaly, but they are all well-pedigreed, decent guys who look out for their residents. From what I've heard, all the recent grads landed jobs/geographies of choice, and I know for a fact the faculty make calls to help their residents out on the job search.
Lots of programs are solid but did they need to open. I am sure moffitt is a great center and one of the largest in the world.