lonestardoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
Ranking soon and having trouble. I know I can't go wrong either way? But just want your thoughts.

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
lonestardoc said:
Ranking soon and having trouble. I know I can't go wrong either way? But just want your thoughts.
They are two different ball games. Rad-onc is the management of cancer. Rads is the gamut of diagnostic imaging and some procedures.

As for lifestyle, I think rad-onc has rads beat, hands down. Rad-onc is more competitive by virtue of the limited number of spots. As far as compensation, I thinK Rad-onc is comparable or sometimes better than rads depending on geographic location.

As far as getting jobs, I think rad-oncs are limited to larger population areas, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The choice depends on what you want to do. I absolutely love rads, but thats just me. I have a friend in rad-onc residency now that absolutely loves what he's doing.

Good luck either way!

SoCalRULES!!!!!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
lonestardoc said:
That's true! You'll make hella bank either way. I hear Rad-oncs does even better than the 800,000 you can make a year in Rads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pikachu

15+ Year Member
SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
That's true! You'll make hella bank either way. I hear Rad-oncs does even better than the 800,000 you can make a year in Rads!!!!!!!!!!!!!
physician salaries survey on the web shows that IR and possibly regular rads is ahead of rad onc median income. I don't know the site off hand but if you google physician salaries you can find it.