Rad Onc vs. Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lonestardoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ranking soon and having trouble. I know I can't go wrong either way? But just want your thoughts.
 
lonestardoc said:
Ranking soon and having trouble. I know I can't go wrong either way? But just want your thoughts.

They are two different ball games. Rad-onc is the management of cancer. Rads is the gamut of diagnostic imaging and some procedures.

As for lifestyle, I think rad-onc has rads beat, hands down. Rad-onc is more competitive by virtue of the limited number of spots. As far as compensation, I thinK Rad-onc is comparable or sometimes better than rads depending on geographic location.

As far as getting jobs, I think rad-oncs are limited to larger population areas, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The choice depends on what you want to do. I absolutely love rads, but thats just me. I have a friend in rad-onc residency now that absolutely loves what he's doing.

Good luck either way!
 
lonestardoc said:
Ranking soon and having trouble. I know I can't go wrong either way? But just want your thoughts.

That's true! You'll make hella bank either way. I hear Rad-oncs does even better than the 800,000 you can make a year in Rads!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
That's true! You'll make hella bank either way. I hear Rad-oncs does even better than the 800,000 you can make a year in Rads!!!!!!!!!!!!!
physician salaries survey on the web shows that IR and possibly regular rads is ahead of rad onc median income. I don't know the site off hand but if you google physician salaries you can find it.