Rad rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronchi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am 4th year med student and want to buy First Aid for the wards for rad rotation. Do you recommend this series for rotation? Is there any other sugestion which is better for rotation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need any book for a rads rotation. They are all very relaxed.

i borrowed a copy of Brandt and Helms from the library. It was a great introductory basic radiology text for the rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are going into radiology, Brandt & Helms is entirely too in-depth. Consider buying Felson's Programmed Text and just spend the month learning as much as you can about chest radiographs. Otherwise, any general radiology (e.g. Squire's) should suffice. Honestly though, the text is mostly for show.

Agreed, if you are not planning on or seriously considering radiology, then buying a text is a waste of money. Likely your school will have copies in the rads library, etc that you can borrow for the month. My school loaned us all a copy of Squires.

If you do want to get something, I highly recommend Learning Radiology by Herring. Fantastic book, geared toward the absolute beginner.

Agreed, if you are not planning on or seriously considering radiology, then buying a text is a waste of money. Likely your school will have copies in the rads library, etc that you can borrow for the month. My school loaned us all a copy of Squires.

If you do want to get something, I highly recommend Learning Radiology by Herring. Fantastic book, geared toward the absolute beginner.

totally agree with this. if you happen to end up with an attending who pimps more than usual, find some extra reading somewhere else but for the most part, the chance of this doesn't make worth buying a text that'll probably be outdated by the time you get a residency spot worth it

totally agree with this. if you happen to end up with an attending who pimps more than usual, find some extra reading somewhere else but for the most part, the chance of this doesn't make worth buying a text that'll probably be outdated by the time you get a residency spot worth it

Thirded. All I ever needed to know on a rads rotation was: what is bright vs dark on CT/T1 MRI/T2 MRI. And maybe if you are feeling like overpreparing, drag out your Netters and relearn some anatomy, especially cross-sectional. That's way more useful than going through a rads book.

there are a bunch of websites out there, too.
learningradiology.com is decent.

squire's looks thick and like the last thing you want to read on a lighter rotation, but the font is bigger and there are a lot of pictures (yay radiology) so it's a faster and easier read than expected. so if you are really motivated and want to learn, consider checking it out of your lib. but we don't blame you if you slip home early and gravitate towards your couch on a daily basis for the month.

i've heard FA for rads was decent. i have never read it or looked through it, though.

i second that felson's is great. written in the same style as dubin's rapid interpretation of ekgs.

also, if anyone out there is considering "radiology secrets" note that there is a new edition of the book called "radiology secrets plus." it's a deceiving title, because it's really just the 2nd edition of radiology secrets. i don't think it is appropriate for a beginner who is not planning on going into radiology. maybe if you are really hard core and doing a second rotation where they pimp you a lot. but you shouldn't do a rads rotation at a place like that. haha.

these are opinions of an M4, btw. not a resident (yet).

I have the Learning Radiology book and really enjoy it. I actually wasted the first half of my day reading that over studying stuff I should've been focusing on.

It really assumes you know near nothing, which is going to be true for the vast majority of med students. I have a hard time seeing most of us having a solid enough foundation in the basics to warrant buying a serious text. I'd liken it to an undergrad kid reading Robbins the summer before s/he starts medical school. We all know what an epic waste of time that is for the poor SOB that tries that.