radiation hormesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkmiami

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting article. Too bad its in a journal of the Hormesis Society. They hould have tried to publish in a more recognized journal.. pretty unbelievable results. Is there a plausible hypothesis? maybe pre-maligant cells are induced to die before they can acquire enough mutations to grow unregulated.. i think though that cobalt photons maybe be much different from inhaled alpha particles emitted from radon which are known to cause lung cancer.. so all radiation is not the same...

Members don't see this ad :)
. Is there a plausible hypothesis?

Radiation hormesis (also called radiation homeostasis) is the hypothesis that low doses of ionizing radiation (within the region of and just above natural background levels) are beneficial, stimulating the activation of repair mechanisms that protect against disease, that are not activated in absence of ionizing radiation. The reserve repair mechanisms are hypothesized to be sufficiently effective when stimulated as to not only cancel the detrimental effects of ionizing radiation but also inhibit disease not related to radiation exposure

Hormesis and Low Dose Radiation | Healing Yourself with Low Dose Nuclear Radiation

Reminds me of the phenomenon called the radioadaptive response where in culture cells exposed to a small test dose of ir are better equipped to survive a therapeutic dose through alterations in gene expression.

Gene Profiling Characteristics of Radioadaptive Response in AG01522 Normal Human Fibroblasts

This is one paper, of not many, but you get the idea. Likely important wrt fractionationation schemes, though we stick with same fraction size with similar time between. Would be interesting to think about 5 cGy dose in the morning to preferentially start the radioadaptive response in normal cells followed by a therapeutic dose in the afternoon.

Interesting. Important to highlight that this is a preprint and has not been peer reviewed.

Interesting article. Too bad its in a journal of the Hormesis Society. They hould have tried to publish in a more recognized journal.. pretty unbelievable results. Is there a plausible hypothesis? maybe pre-maligant cells are induced to die before they can acquire enough mutations to grow unregulated.. i think though that cobalt photons maybe be much different from inhaled alpha particles emitted from radon which are known to cause lung cancer.. so all radiation is not the same...

I think the incredible results and the fact that it’s published in that journal is not a coincidence

I think the incredible results and the fact that it’s published in that journal is not a coincidence
Hypothesis of hormesis as I understand it, and know very little here, is that physiological stressors like fasting, heat, hypoxia, activate compensatory repair pathways.

In case of double stranded breaks, sirtuins are activated. Not taught in radiation biology.

Hypothesis of hormesis as I understand it, and know very little here, is that physiological stressors like fasting, heat, hypoxia, activate compensatory repair pathways.

In case of double stranded breaks, sirtuins are activated. Not taught in radiation biology.

Awesome...lmk when Varian and Elekta sponser the trial.

Didn’t nuclear regulatory commission decide to drop linear threshold model because of this kind of thing?

No it’s about radiating the homeless.
How about eating things that have undergone hormesis.

Last edited: