Radiation Oncology and Basic/Translation Oncology related research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topspinner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN members,

MS3 here, and I have a question regarding research and Radio Onc. I really find the field captivating but would like to continue doing translational and basic research that I've been doing since UG.

Is it possible to both have a clinical practice and still do this kind of research? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you read the FAQ before GFunk blows up your computer remotely!

Short answer is "Yes."

:)

This type of question is not precisely covered in the FAQ, so let me elaborate a little bit here.

1. Yes, you can have a career in Rad Onc that combines laboratory investigation and clinical work. In medicine, this is popularly called the 80:20 path (80% research & 20% clinical) though anyone who does it will tell you that the 80:20 split never works out the way it should.

2. There are a few paths to going into a research-based faculty position:
a) Do Holman Pathway in residency (See FAQ)
b) Do a regular Rad Onc residency followed by a research post-doc
c) Do a regular Rad Onc residency but try to squeeze in as much lab work as you can

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses; they have been very helpful.
I like research a lot, but for various reasons did not do MD/PhD. I really enjoy conducting basic science research in oncology. Most of the labs I worked in UG/HS were biochem/molecular bio and I think that's what I would like to do most in my career (along with seeing patients).

I know this is a rad-onc board, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about what kinds of research medical oncologists get to do and whether there those interested in heme/oncology fellowships can do research during the IM residency.

The Holman pathway sounds like a good way to do research, but I am interested in fields of oncology research that are not centered around IR. Do Rad-oncs do primarily research related to radiation, or can they work in identifying pathways and things like that?

I am attracted to rad onc because of rapidly advancing technology and the great lifestyle but I am very passionate about research as well and definitely want to continue conducting it for the rest of my career.

Thank you! :)

I can relate to you here very well. I was a pharmacologist (phd) with lots of lab experience before med school. I continue to focus my research on identifying important pathways and developing novel pharmaceuticals. To that end all of my med school research was directed by a surgical oncologist rather than a radiation oncologist because at my home institution our rad onc pi's were more clinically oriented. Like you, I picked rad onc because clinically it was the best of all worlds. You are technical, but not in the OR all the time, its out pt with good continuity, and finally as you said we have great toys.

A few points for you:
1) no phd = no problem for you. You can still do this career and get funded without a phd.
2) look for residencies at places that can support your research. Places like Duke, vandy, stanford, yale, uchicago, harvard, the places with good core facilities and established projects.
3) market yourself as who you are and what your interested in. You dont have to fit everything in your personal statement or research intentions to rad onc specifically. Cancer therapy is multimodal in almost all cases and as long as you are doing research to benefit your patient population thats fine. But you absolutely do need to be able to convince people why clinically rad onc is the only love you have4
4) be open to being more of a cooperative translational clinician. Im not saying can our dreams but due to a lot of forces in the land scape many rad oncs work very closely with basic scientists (and even have input into experimental design and direction) but dont actually have their own lab. This allows more clinical time and avoids some funding head aches. Be aware of this path and open to exploring it as you find your clinical identity. Also, there are more of these jobs available.
5) non rad onc research if high quality and clearly useful in helping you with your future career is very useful. If you have time to do something onc related great (and seriously think about doing it) but if not it wont be the end of the world. I had no rad onc research and did zero away rotations (wanted to, but had personal stuff come up) and did ad well as anyone because I had a solid plan programs liked.

Also, Holman will totally fund molecular/biochem projects that are onc related. Another note on holman, not all programs, even high power research institutions, are big on holman. Some think it compromises your training as a resident and much favor a post doctoral route. I wouldnt tell anyone in your personal statement or on the interview trail you are set on any path. Instead be open to finding what will help you best with your career goals as you see them now. Not only do you look more mature, you really dont know how things will shake out...thats life :)