radiation oncology residency for FMGs

Started by FMG Photon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FMG Photon

MD Radiotherapy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am looking for information on chances of a FMG to match with a residency in radiation oncology. I have a MD degree in clinical Radiation Oncology from my native country and its my fifth year in this field including three years of residency. I don't have an experience in basic research though. I have been told that it is very competitive for FMGs to enter this branch. Could someone please guide on what are the possible options or routes that FMGs should follow to be considered for a residency match in radiation oncology in US. I am still in the process of taking my USMLE steps and wish to be ready for the 2009 match. Also please suggest on additional short-term things that when done (As I take my exams) would help me to get a residency match. thank you
 
Hello everyone,

I am looking for information on chances of a FMG to match with a residency in radiation oncology. I have a MD degree in clinical Radiation Oncology from my native country and its my fifth year in this field including three years of residency. I don't have an experience in basic research though. I have been told that it is very competitive for FMGs to enter this branch. Could someone please guide on what are the possible options or routes that FMGs should follow to be considered for a residency match in radiation oncology in US. I am still in the process of taking my USMLE steps and wish to be ready for the 2009 match. Also please suggest on additional short-term things that when done (As I take my exams) would help me to get a residency match. thank you

Unfortunately, "very competetive" as you say is sort of a euphemism for "next to impossible these days."

Most of the answers you seek can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=454849
 
its do-able but extremely difficult and there are two approaches; 1) try a residency here in the us. 2) do a fellowship and you can actually become board eligible by being hired by an academic center for four years. Obviously this is risky as you might never get a spot or get dropped after fewer than 4 years. But I know folks in this model. 3) version three is doing version two without the fellowship (im not sure but I think you can) but that's even less likely.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guess what... I managed it.. just got matched in this year's match. Even I am amazed at this. What helped me?.. i think most important US Observerships, US LoRs, My publications and presentations from my training in my native country and Destiny.🙂
 
Guess what... I managed it.. just got matched in this year's match. Even I am amazed at this. What helped me?.. i think most important US Observerships, US LoRs, My publications and presentations from my training in my native country and Destiny.🙂

It is written...🙂

If this is who I think it is, welcome aboard!
 
Hi
I am currently doing my Masters degree in Radiation Oncology and will be finishing the course in March 2011 (by that time i wud have a collective experience of 5 years in the field😴😴).
I am interested in pursuing further academics in the US,(research, fellowship programmes). I would like to know about the opportunities available 😍so that i can start working in that dirction in the next two years.:luck:

I hope you can provide me some information regarding this. Awaiting your response..

Gandalf82


Hey Gandalf82,

You sure have good time to plan things right. Radiation Onco in US is highly sort after. Fellowship options [clinical or lab] are more feasible for FMGs like us. Though, residency is still a possibility, like it happened to me. My suggestions
1] Publish, present hard.. target international peer reviewed publications and conferences. Don;t be afraid of rejections, try from the highest journal. Incorporate reviewer comments and with every reject, the quality of your paper would improve. You are from a good institute, i am sure there would be good options for research.
2] Once ready with abstracts, apply for travel grants in international conferences. There are many offering such grants to students.
3] Plan your MLE steps well in advance. Make sure you complete step III as well. Target second academic year for these exams.
4] Once you are in shape as regards to your CV, step abroad.
5] Arrange for an observership in a good academic institute. Try a stint for atleast a month. Attempt to do a small research project during your stay.. review article, short analysis.. anything that your supervisor can offer you. More observerships at other centers would obviously be helpful, but can get costly.
6] Do request a letter of reco from the supervisor for your applications.
7] Use the networks you generate from international conferences or such observerships to reach a possible opening in lab or clinic as fellow. It goes without saying that try to do an observership in an institue offering such positions. Go through individual website of programs offering Radiation Oncology fellowships. ASTRO, ARRO websites would also have more information for residents and fellows for grants, fellowships etc. Also try for ASCO fellowships. There are lot of meetings also going around throughout the year. There is no point knowing the list at present as things would change in two years. You would have to write to the concerned prof. [A brief email only]. A strong CV would be your biggest asset at this stage. Direct referral from your observership supervisor would be great. There are lot of high callibre international conferences happening at TMH.. see if you can attend that and reach out to international faculty one to one. Don;t be afraid or shy to speak out. Remember they won;t come to you, you have to reach them. But don;t be too poky as well.
8] Learn the statistical analysis software available in your institute. SPSS is used by many institutes. Though there are others available as well.
9] If trying for a residency, your efforts would have to be really very hard. Be prepared to take risks and a high possibility of failure.
10] Rest is destiny. :xf:

Best of luck
 
[Edited]

Hi
i would like to ask you about good place for rad.onc. fellowship which might help me to take my Rad onc board.?
I am board certified in my native country, 8 years of rad onc experience (6 years at home + 2 yrs as fellow in non accredited program in USA)

So what is your advice for me in order to be eligible for the ABR? as you know at least i need to join an accredited training even as a fellow for 4 years,,, any suggestions?
thank you so much for your time and concern



Hey Sphenix,

I am posting your question and my reply on the threads so that other seniors can provide their inputs. The fellowship route was suggested to me as well .. see the replies above. However this is what i think about it.

This is probably a path on paper than in reality. Let me start with a bold statement. To my knowledge, Rad Onc as of now does not have any ACGME accredited fellowships. If this statement raises eyebrows, pls do let me know of accredited fellowships that anyone knows. I was told that since it is a relatively young branch, all the fellowships that are available are non-ACGME accredited.

I was checking the websites right now.. ACGME, ARRO, FREIDA.. they all give list of residency programs, but there is no specific list of fellowship programs that i could reach. It is suggested that one gets in touch with all programs to find out a specific answer. The big fellowship programs like at MDACC, MSKCC do not mention about accreditation status of the programs. I guess you can mail them and find out about it. If you do, I would request you to update it on this thread for other students.

That apart, doing it for four years, is not a practical option. The reason is no program would give you an extention for four years. They all truncate it at two years, unless one specific program has liked you a lot and is willing for it. Your best bet for this would be your own program since you already have been there for two years. But since you mention that to be non-ACGME, I guess it does not serve any purpose.

Apart from that, the fellowship needs to be from ONE single program. This is what i know. Check out these wordings on ABR

"You have completed the required four years of full-time, continuous residency training or continuous faculty experience, or a combination of the two, in continuity, as a resident or a faculty member in ONE ACGME-/RCPSC-approved program."

you can get more details at
http://theabr.org/ic/ic_ro/ic_ro_imedgrad.html


Again as suggested above, you can still cross the lines if you are accepted by a program as faculty. Like Stephew said above, no one is sure if this would work. It is not mentioned clearly anywhere. May be you can consider writing to ABR about it.

So my friend, I am sorry, I can;t be of much help to you in this issue. My suggestion would be .. try for residency, that;s the only way possible.

Again requesting you to update this thread if you get further information.

Best of luck
 
I really want to go into radiation oncology, badly. I visited the goregous practice at USC and spent a few days in the humble one at City Of Hope in Downey, CA. I am a US citizen and a third year at a medical school in Europe. I took my step 1 and got a 234/98. I am countlessly told that my chances are slim to none, but I have to give it a shot. I dont get much response from program directors that I try to contact through Frieda. I have ample time for research and I want to do it. What should I do? Where should I do it (US or here)? How can I get started? what else should I do? I also have a hypothesis that I thought of last weekend for a novel(?) oncology research study/project but I have no idea what do with it... who to present it to, how would i gather the data, if I should start it here or do it in the US. I can concievably graduate 5-6 months early... by dec 2010, and fully devote my time to pursuing this, or juggle the time earlier. I do feel like I am aiming an arrow with a blindfold on. :xf:
 
being a US citizen helps a lot
is it a reputable med school in Western Europe?
I'd do a preliminary medicine internship in USA and apply while you here

I really want to go into radiation oncology, badly. I visited the goregous practice at USC and spent a few days in the humble one at City Of Hope in Downey, CA. I am a US citizen and a third year at a medical school in Europe. I took my step 1 and got a 234/98. I am countlessly told that my chances are slim to none, but I have to give it a shot. I dont get much response from program directors that I try to contact through Frieda. I have ample time for research and I want to do it. What should I do? Where should I do it (US or here)? How can I get started? what else should I do? I also have a hypothesis that I thought of last weekend for a novel(?) oncology research study/project but I have no idea what do with it... who to present it to, how would i gather the data, if I should start it here or do it in the US. I can concievably graduate 5-6 months early... by dec 2010, and fully devote my time to pursuing this, or juggle the time earlier. I do feel like I am aiming an arrow with a blindfold on. :xf:
 
thank you for the reply. Yea I didnt think about that. The prelim year is necessary anyways. I'm at the medical Univeristy of Lublin in Poland. They recently got california accreditation.
 
Hi Seniors,
I received this request (see below) from someone. Please advice if you have any information. Stephew, you had once mentioned that you know some folks who have gone this route.


Dear FMG Photon,

First i would like to thank you so much for the priceless advice you kindly provided me almost 1 and half year ago.

Currently I joined as a faculty (instructor) an ACGME accredited institution. My plan is to do four years there, then apply to take my ABR.

My problem now is no one knows how does it go exactly:
Do i have to maintain a logbook for my cases?
Am i supposed to see certain number of SRS, Peds, brachy cases like residents or what?
The ABR people have no clue at all!

I posted on the SDN asking for someone who has been in similar situation but i never heard back!

Do you know anyone did that alternative pathway to learn from his/her experience?
The other question (I know it is a little too early) but it is very important for me: incase i took my ABR would that allow me to practive with regular Medical lic. or Not?? as you know all the states ask for formal PGY1-4 for unrestricted licnese?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad