-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Radiation protection
Started by myrandom2003
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Big step back between shots makes the biggest difference. My numbers are way lower than my partner's and we do same volume, very similar technique, except he doesn't step back.Annutech is having that sale.
What is your standard fluoro attire other than lead apron/vests?
Anyone using X-ray gloves or a lead hat?
Favorite lead glasses?
Nike Brazen glasses. No gloves or hat--hands not sensitive to radiation, hat offers negligible protection if any.
D
deleted875186
We have a standing plexiglass lead panel with arm holes I wheel right up to the patient, I wear lead vest and glasses as well behind it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oakley five squared leaded glasses.
Which lead panel with arm holes do you use?We have a standing plexiglass lead panel with arm holes I wheel right up to the patient, I wear lead vest and glasses as well behind it.
Rolling lead screen used for laterals only.
D
deleted875186
I’ll get the brand name next week, I actually can’t even find a picture online of the one we use.Which lead panel with arm holes do you use?
Would highly recommend though, takes a little while to get used to, but if you take a step back before X-rays anyway, why not just take a step back and go behind a screen?
Never heard of this company, do you have a link to the website?Annutech is having that sale.
What is your standard fluoro attire other than lead apron/vests?
Anyone using X-ray gloves or a lead hat?
Favorite lead glasses?
Attenutech.comNever heard of this company, do you have a link to the website?
Anyone know much about lead vs lead-free? Seems like lead-free like Xenolite is lighter and probably more expensive but is there a downside, like less protection?
I’ll get the brand name next week, I actually can’t even find a picture online of the one we use.
Would highly recommend though, takes a little while to get used to, but if you take a step back before X-rays anyway, why not just take a step back and go behind a screen?
Adjustable Lead Acrylic Personal Mobile X-Ray Barrier with Arm Cutouts
Need radiation protection without losing hands-on access to your patient? This Adjustable Lead Acrylic Personal Mobile X-Ray Barrier features an hourglass-shaped 0.5 mm Pb shield with arm-access cutouts, allowing clinicians to work close to the patient while maintaining clear visibility and...
Is it this one?
In general, the lead-free ones use a mix of lighter metals to get similar protection at low energy but lose the protection at high energy ranges. Most C-arms go up to 120 kVp. I wouldn't stress the differences at high energies as your spine will appreciate you more before the cancer gets you.Anyone know much about lead vs lead-free? Seems like lead-free like Xenolite is lighter and probably more expensive but is there a downside, like less protection?
Is your thyroid shield protecting you? Tips for selecting the best collars
Thyroid Shields: Are you protected? Your thyroid shield (or thyroid collar) is an essential part of your radiation protection gear Most people reading this wear a thyroid shield almost daily. I’d like to spend some time discussing tips on getting the most out of your shield
Lead free products are worse for protecting from scatter. The good lead free ones (see Infab 0.5mm lead equivalent) is nearly as heavy as regular lead (for a reason). There is no escaping the weight if you want full protection. That being said, the exposure for interventional pain procedures is low in general especially if you step away during lateral shots.
D
deleted875186
Yes, ours is much older, but that is the style.![]()
Adjustable Lead Acrylic Personal Mobile X-Ray Barrier with Arm Cutouts
Need radiation protection without losing hands-on access to your patient? This Adjustable Lead Acrylic Personal Mobile X-Ray Barrier features an hourglass-shaped 0.5 mm Pb shield with arm-access cutouts, allowing clinicians to work close to the patient while maintaining clear visibility and...www.zzmedical.com
Is it this one?
I have posted here before, but I place "lead" drapes OVER the patient, above and below the field, to reduce scatter leaving the patient. My levels are undetectable and I do over 300+ procedures per month.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
300 procedures a month?I have posted here before, but I place "lead" drapes OVER the patient, above and below the field, to reduce scatter leaving the patient. My levels are undetectable and I do over 300+ procedures per month.
So 15 per day every working day?
I don't do procedures every day of the week, but on average yes. I have about 3 procedure days a week and do about 32-40 procedures per full day.
I have posted here before, but I place "lead" drapes OVER the patient, above and below the field, to reduce scatter leaving the patient. My levels are undetectable and I do over 300+ procedures per month.
Can you post a picture?
Can you post a picture?
Occupational hand radiation
I am admittedly careless at times with my hands in the path of the x-ray during fluoroscopic procedures. I am otherwise careful with radiation safety, wearing lead glasses, taking a step back during laterals, generally avoiding live fluoro, etc. I was led to believe that incidental exposure to...
![]()
Occupational hand radiation
I am admittedly careless at times with my hands in the path of the x-ray during fluoroscopic procedures. I am otherwise careful with radiation safety, wearing lead glasses, taking a step back during laterals, generally avoiding live fluoro, etc. I was led to believe that incidental exposure to...forums.studentdoctor.net
Do you remember where you got the drapes?
D
deleted875186
You wipe down these drapes after every patient? Or use extra sheets?I don't do procedures every day of the week, but on average yes. I have about 3 procedure days a week and do about 32-40 procedures per full day.
I have posted here before, but I place "lead" drapes OVER the patient, above and below the field, to reduce scatter leaving the patient. My levels are undetectable and I do over 300+ procedures per month.
Search results for: 'radiation protection image intensifier drape'
Z & Z Medical, Inc. was founded in 2000 as an x-ray sales and service company and began our on-line imaging accessory & supply store in 2005. We provide a broad range of imaging equipment, products, and accessories for the various imaging modalities world-wide. Through continual steady growth...
If it weren't for the ? sterility issues, I might consider something like this as more reasonable.
If only someone made something like that that was able to be sterilized, see through, and still protective. Maybe a system of transparent lead acrylic beads or long flaps.
With the shielding/draping you're describing mid|ine, I'm confused as to how you significantly drop your own exposure. The lead skirts for sure would help, but the patient draping isn't computing for me.
We wipe them down and put a chuck pad under them.
They are NOT in the sterile field.
Most exposure for the pain physician is from scatter. Places over the patient, these drapes dramatically reduce the amount of scatter coming out of the TOP and SIDE of the patient to the physician. Drapes below reduce the scatter from below the table.
They are NOT in the sterile field.
Most exposure for the pain physician is from scatter. Places over the patient, these drapes dramatically reduce the amount of scatter coming out of the TOP and SIDE of the patient to the physician. Drapes below reduce the scatter from below the table.
Attachments
Last edited: