radiation risk from medical imaging/procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamie2837

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the best place to post this is, but the new BEIR VII numbers have been out for a while, and the risk estimates have increased.

There are some websites online that let you estimate the risk of an individual exam.

There's also a program ('Radiation Passport') for the ipod touch/iphone that does the same, and also lets patients track all of their radiation exposures over their life, and comes up with a total/cumulative estimated cancer risk.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the application include flights and durations in that tally? One trip across the US equals a hell of a lot of plain films!

yep - the way it does it is to have you fill in your average air travel per year.

That'd be an interesting question though - how much radiation exposure airline pilots get. I'm assuming that the aircraft lining would be fairly protective though (even the windows likely have lead lining I would have assumed).

Sorry...I posted that too quickly - it also separates your 'background' from your 'medical' radiation exposure. Part of your background is airline travel...but the biggest part of course is from radon.