Radiation Safety Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

George T

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be in my 3rd year undergraduate. I am currently in a summer internship with the Radiation Safety department at a local hospital. I've learned much about radiation and it's uses in medicine. I've been kind of sketchy on how it'd look on my medical school resume for experience. Should I be worried in it being a hinderance or is it a good that I was involved in this?

Members don't see this ad.

That's cool; it's looking at an aspect of hospital care that other applicants may not have. I don't see why you would not want to include that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that sounds awesome, I don't see any reason why not to list that on your application

I agree, it sounds real interesting and can only help you stand out. Im curious, what did it entail?

Here's the description for the position before I applied:

Radiation Safety Office
"...Selected intern will assist in the auditing and review of areas and laboratories either initially applying to use or work with radioactive material or radiation producing equipment for research or for clinical patient care applications. Will assist and learn about the testing and certification of clinical x-ray equipment. Assist with the assignment and collection of individual radiation monitoring devices used by medical center staff. Learn about careers in Health Physics and the responsibilities of a Medical Center’s Radiation Safety Officer. Qualifications include great interpersonal (team player) and communication skills, working knowledge of computers, and an interest in radiation safety. Ideal opportunity for math, or physical or biological science majors..."

Hi,

I'm going to be in my 3rd year undergraduate. I am currently in a summer internship with the Radiation Safety department at a local hospital. I've learned much about radiation and it's uses in medicine. I've been kind of sketchy on how it'd look on my medical school resume for experience. Should I be worried in it being a hinderance or is it a good that I was involved in this?

Why do you think it might be a hindrance? From what you've said, there doesn't seem to be anything negative about it.

The thing is, I feel it doesn't give any real hands on experience. I mean, I wanted some hands on experience during this internship. Maybe I'm looking at the internship from a perspective I shouldn't. I should take it for what it is.