Radiobiology - ABR history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post-Wallner era ABR update:

...and just like that, the bottom-of-the-barrel SOAPers will have the same (or perhaps higher!) board pass rate as compared to the hotshots of the 2010s era.
Oh, man.

I hope they accomplish this "reprioritization" effectively (rather than just making promises they don't keep).

Objectively, 2023 has been the year of SDN WAS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING.

I made this ESE account in 2019. I did so because:

- I believed it was irresponsible and detrimental to engage in rapid, massive residency expansion
- I believed it was doubly irresponsible to do so when the entire focus of the field was on hypofrac/omission work
- I believed we had virtually no functional PR/optics reaching a large audience to reduce the stigma around radiation
- I believed that this lack of effective advocacy, coupled with our own behavior, contributed greatly to our slashed reimbursement
- I believed our board certification process was a horrendous crucible, devoid of relevancy to real life practice

These were not beliefs I felt like I could safely discuss openly. Whenever it was tried - from "Bloodbath" to "ABR Debacle" - the Legacy RadOnc crowd reacted...unkindly.

Now, all of those things I felt I couldn't say openly are being written on stationary with ABR and ASTRO logos.

If anyone ever needed a clear example of "human behavior only changes when it hurts"...this would be it.

I can't really blame Legacy RO, I guess. Even though the warnings came long ago, the gravy train was still chugging along the tracks...who cares about the future, right?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
you know things are going well when the top of the email is just an ad for yourself

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 8.07.13 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
you know things are going well when the top of the email is just an ad for yourself

View attachment 377501
Um, I hate to break it to the ABR, but I have personally also founded a 501c organization.

It's not that hard. I have a friend who made one for her mountain biking club. It's a pretty neat club actually.

I can't even make jokes about this. If your newsletter opens with an ad for yourself, and the ad has four bullet points, and of those bullet points, one is the year you were founded and the other is the tax status of your organization...just...

Oof. Feels bad.

Reactions: 1 user
*snip*

No one asked my opinion, but Id love to see consolidation of the tests, multiple dates a year for tests, and moving orals to a more surgical style with real case review. Easy changes that would greatly help trainees and volunteers, but admittedly could make the ABR less money and offer less opportunity for ego boosting.

If the bolded is true, then your (or any other) proposal is DOA.

Reactions: 1 users