radiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambition05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do radiologists who work in hospital have on call?

What about radiologists who practice in group-practice?

Also,

I think dermatologists don't have on call,
is this right?

Members don't see this ad.

is this right?

Dear Lord, this man's rash is spreading rapidly across his body! He may be unable to have decent pictures taken at his family reunion tomorrow. Quick, page the dermatology resident on call!

Radiologists definitely do have on call, though some places provide a nighthawk service to cover films that must be read at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty clear that you have read somwhere about the perks (read=financial) of Derm and Rads. Don't worry about the call of these specialties. Find out if you like staring at a grayscale screen of images in a dark room, or staring at rashes and bumps all day long. Use that to decide what specialty you want to pursue, that is, once you get into med school.

Hopefully, once you get here you will discover there is more to medicinie thatn these two popular specialties that really have very little in common other than money, lifestyle, and board scores.

Do radiologists who work in hospital have on call?

What about radiologists who practice in group-practice?

Also,

is this right?

They all do call. Derm does call less frequently as more derm cases can wait. A lot of radiology cannot wait.

The need for physicians does not stop at the end of the business day.

And FWIW, based on your other posts, it looks like you should worry about getting into med school first, and then worry about getting into one of the more competitive specialties.