Do radiation oncologists have more patient interactions than radiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pprbckwrtr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to understand both specialities more. I understand radiologists have very little patient contact, but is it the same for radiation oncologists?

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to understand both specialities more. I understand radiologists have very little patient contact, but is it the same for radiation oncologists?

The rad onc guys see their patients once a week during treatments I think and then periodically afterwards. It seems pretty clinical from the outside.
Radiology can be clinical, breast and IR, but definitely less so.

Members don't see this ad :)
We see a full clinic schedule daily, including consults and follow-ups. Patients on treatment are seen once per week in general.

The tricky part of rad onc is finding a job after residency. You won't have patients if you don't get a job.

Reactions: 1 users
How serious is the job issue for radiation oncology?

Radiation Oncology is like 50-75% of time spent in clinic between consults/follow-ups/on treatment visits, depending on how you set up your practice.

In terms of Radiology, you may have procedures as a radiologist, but the main ones that are really 'clinical' are Interventional Radiologists. Depending on the institution, you can have clinic as an IR doc.

The job market is an issue for Rad Onc (at least) currently. The overarching principle is that if you have no significant geographic boundaries you can find something worthwhile.

Ah interesting! Didn't realize the job market was so tough for radonc. Thank you for all the info everyone!