Radiology and medical missions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious how the Radiology field lends itself to medical missions work. I have heard that there are things like ultrasounds, etc. that can be used to help surgeons while overseas, but is there anything else?

I read an article about a Radiologist who would go on these service trips and practice pediatrics on one trip, and then general medicine on the next... How possible is this? Is it possible, as a radiologist, to take your stethoscope overseas and serve as a general MD?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My observation of a local Radiologist...

He makes enough and has enough vacation time to do mission work when he desires. He isn't tied down schedule-wise or financially restricted in doing so. He doesn't necessarily do Rads work... he does basic family practice screens and exams, and assists with a team that repairs facial clefts in poor countries.

Hi, Many opportunities do exist. You essentially have a flexible career where you can pursue mission/international work. My organization is currently inking out a partnership to help a nonprofit establish a network of radiologists who are interested in international medicine. Stay tuned--I will send the info out once we have it ironed out. They are launching their website soon--once I find out the URL, I will post it.