Radiology and medical missions?

Started by DrJD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrJD

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just curious how the Radiology field lends itself to medical missions work. I have heard that there are things like ultrasounds, etc. that can be used to help surgeons while overseas, but is there anything else?

I read an article about a Radiologist who would go on these service trips and practice pediatrics on one trip, and then general medicine on the next... How possible is this? Is it possible, as a radiologist, to take your stethoscope overseas and serve as a general MD?

Thanks!
 
My observation of a local Radiologist...

He makes enough and has enough vacation time to do mission work when he desires. He isn't tied down schedule-wise or financially restricted in doing so. He doesn't necessarily do Rads work... he does basic family practice screens and exams, and assists with a team that repairs facial clefts in poor countries.
 
Hi, Many opportunities do exist. You essentially have a flexible career where you can pursue mission/international work. My organization is currently inking out a partnership to help a nonprofit establish a network of radiologists who are interested in international medicine. Stay tuned--I will send the info out once we have it ironed out. They are launching their website soon--once I find out the URL, I will post it.