radiology assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slash2112

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

I want to become a radiology assistant I cant find any schools in new york and i have know idea what type of degree i should get can any one help

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

To do the R.A program, you have to be a registered Radiologic Technologist with a bachelors degree. You usually have to have a few years work as a general tech, then once you go through the class work(usually 1 year) you find a radiologist willing to train you. As for schools I know there is only 11 that are accredited. Check on the ASRT website, they have a whole section regarding R.A

I know alot of RADS dont like this profession, but how are some of the RA's as far as knowledge? Do they seem to do well? Ive done some searching at auntminnie but those guys over there are some of the biggest complainers ever. They all seem to hate Radiology. I personally am in a bachelors program to become a tech, I love it so far. I have really researched the career and it is the best choice for ME.

I have observed alot of techs and 1 radiologist who have said that that if I chose the RA route that it is very rewarding and that even though there is some debate about them, that he feels they help tremendously. Do you guys think they will ever get a little more credit and the hate might go away. It seems this same thing happened with PA's at first. Im not trying to start a big flame war either, I am just a student who really likes this field and wants some more information on career development.

I completely agree that they should NOT be given the same job duties or taking jobs away from you guys the doctors as you have the schooling/experience etc. Maybe if they changed the duties a little, maybe that would work. However it might end up like Nurse anesthetist who want more more more. Anyways hope to hear some opinions on this, and also what do you as a radiologist think of the techs? Are they considered knowledgable members of the team in YOUR eyes? Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently attending Weber State University in their Radiologist Assistant program. It is mainly an online gig, but you fly to Utah every other month for classes. It is 20 months long, and there is full class load and internship the entire time. To get into the program, you need to be an ARRT certified Radiologic Techologist for 3 years (no bachelor degree needed as someone else stated) and have some prereq. stuff done (specifics at weber.edu/radsci). You graduate with an advanced bachelors degree and they are currently developing a master's program that will only require 2 or 3 more classes. Someone brought up PAs vs. RAs. Here is what I think...I have specialized in Radiography for many years assisting with procedures and looking at films. Now, I have advanced, intense training in performing those procedures and analyzing the films. Who would you want doing the procedure? My rads love RAs. They get to spend more time reading MRIs and CTs, while I do the procedures that take the most time.

I thought that when I graduated from xray school that I was never going to do anything else. Eventually, I just wanted more responsibility (and $$), and this meets both of those expectations. I do whatever the rads entitle me to do, and what medicare/medicaid will reimburse for (they are picky about the rad being present for some procedures. This doesn't mean they have to DO it, just be present for certain portions like intra-articular contrast injections)

Any other questions feel free to ask. Also, I have a friend from the Buffalo area that is in my class, so New Yorkers can do it, and laws up there are very lenient for what an RPA or RA can do. (Weber is an RPA/RA school)

I am currently attending Weber State University in their Radiologist Assistant program. It is mainly an online gig, but you fly to Utah every other month for classes. It is 20 months long, and there is full class load and internship the entire time. To get into the program, you need to be an ARRT certified Radiologic Techologist for 3 years (no bachelor degree needed as someone else stated) and have some prereq. stuff done (specifics at weber.edu/radsci). You graduate with an advanced bachelors degree and they are currently developing a master's program that will only require 2 or 3 more classes. Someone brought up PAs vs. RAs. Here is what I think...I have specialized in Radiography for many years assisting with procedures and looking at films. Now, I have advanced, intense training in performing those procedures and analyzing the films. Who would you want doing the procedure? My rads love RAs. They get to spend more time reading MRIs and CTs, while I do the procedures that take the most time.

I thought that when I graduated from xray school that I was never going to do anything else. Eventually, I just wanted more responsibility (and $$), and this meets both of those expectations. I do whatever the rads entitle me to do, and what medicare/medicaid will reimburse for (they are picky about the rad being present for some procedures. This doesn't mean they have to DO it, just be present for certain portions like intra-articular contrast injections)

Any other questions feel free to ask. Also, I have a friend from the Buffalo area that is in my class, so New Yorkers can do it, and laws up there are very lenient for what an RPA or RA can do. (Weber is an RPA/RA school)

My experience is that procedural wise, they (like PAs in the field) can do any procedure the radiologist feels comfortable letting them do. The more they do the better since it helps bulk up the income generated. Interpreting images and such? Not very likely considering the large amount of experience needed.

I would never support RA's or RPA's. I'm not interested in seeing radiology go the way of anesthesiology and primary care. If I need help with procedures, I would get a PA or senior tech.